Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PotatoSmashers '82 Toyota KE70 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post
    Make a decent write up on the flocking. I'm quite interested in how it's done.
    Thats one thing that was really neglected to be found was decent instructions on how and what to use. It's also a bit tricky to get the glue for it too. I'll definately do a how to on it noting where to actually get the supplies etc.
    1982 Toyota Corolla KE70 - Build Thread
    2004 Subaru Liberty Sedan EJ25 5sp Manual - Current Daily Thread
    1994 Toyota Corolla Hatch Csi Ltd. 4AFE 4sp Auto - Sold 25/01/13
    sigpic

Comment

• nice job with the roof, was it difficult to do?
      sigpic
      MY R31 SKYLINE WAGON: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Skyline-Wagon

Comment

• Originally posted by rb26 i wish View Post
        nice job with the roof, was it difficult to do?
        Not difficult but I wouldn't do such a large area if I didnt already have lots of rattle can practise. If you aren't good at spraying it would come out very blotchy but I don't think I did too bad. Only did minor touch up's after it had dried. Made a huge difference because there were some rusty looking stains before
        sigpic

Comment

• Again, loving the car..
          thinking about picking one up myself..
          Reckon a 5 speed swap would be pretty easy? can only seem to find auto's for sale around here..

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnifex View Post
            Again, loving the car..
            thinking about picking one up myself..
            Reckon a 5 speed swap would be pretty easy? can only seem to find auto's for sale around here..
            It could be easy but if the cars already auto you would be changing more then the gearbox, starts getting complicated if you dont know what your doing. I have the 4 speed in my car with a 4K-C, the 5 speed came with the 4A-C so you would have to do a full swap as the gearboxes won't bolt up. The 4A-C is a bigger engine anyway so it would be a win both ways.
            sigpic

Comment

• Loving the build man, this car is going to be maaaaad! Do you mind me asking roughly how much it has cost to date? I'm interested in doing something like this myself and i'm just wondering how much cash i would need
              2010 Mazda 3
              1979 Mazda Rx7 - check it out!

Comment

• Originally posted by zxing View Post
                Loving the build man, this car is going to be maaaaad! Do you mind me asking roughly how much it has cost to date? I'm interested in doing something like this myself and i'm just wondering how much cash i would need
                No offence in asking, I believe that's the deciding factor in a lot of modding decisions. The car was $300, a bargain I will admit. I tallied up my receipts just for you and I have spent $450+Car. Which isn't too bad. I can safely say now that the complete interior will cost me no more than $500. When complete, which sounds pretty good to me as people spend thousands easily. Apart from the seats though, I am going to have the seats professionally reupholstered at a later date which obviously will push it over the $500, but it will happen

EDIT: You don't need stacks of money, I used about $40 from my pay each week to do this.
                sigpic

Comment

• THE FLOCKING HAS BEGAN!

I knew there were a few people really hanging out for this haha. There is going to be a full write up on this as Killerbunnys said, I have also taken lots of pictures to go with it. Unfortunately this is one really unique interior mod that I was unable to find very little instruction on how to do it and there was a bit of trial and error for me but it has come out good. When I finish it I want to make a good instructional post on how to do this and get good results.

It might look a bit lumpy but the excess that doesn't stick will come off after the glue has set, I wasn't able to do the underside as I didn't want to rotate it and have the fibers come off because the glue hasn't set. I am going to leave it overnight just to be sure.

Please note it is actually black but the lighting makes it look grey haha
                  sigpic

Comment

• This picture is facing away from the sun and shows the colour a lot better.

sigpic

Comment

• Maaaaaad!

Looking forward to the how to post, I've got a cracked dash I'd love to fix and flock.
                      $900 Silvia? See it come together here~ Click!
                      $0 SR20? [Featuring $400 Silvia] See it come together here~ Click!

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post
                        Maaaaaad!

Looking forward to the how to post, I've got a cracked dash I'd love to fix and flock.
                        Mine was cracked too, I filled it with silicone because it's a soft vinyl, it's not perfect but the flock will certainly hide it better than dying it will. Will finish it off tomorrow, couldn't do it all in one go

Also this afternoon I have solved a little problem. The boss kit didn't work with the original indicator self cancelling setup. Not essential but sure to get annoying. What I ended up doing was cutting the end off a bolt and gluing it to the factory self cancelling cylinder thing. Seems to work just fine

Last edited by ThePotatoSmasher; 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hey man I've been following this thread for a while now....You're making some awesome progress!! I have always been a fan of the corolla's (have an AE92 seca for my daily atm) and i just love the older ones like the KE70. I really wanna buy one to restore and take over as my daily with maybe abit of drifting here and there Its just a shame all of the good KE's have been taken and now i am only left with really expensive stocko's ($2500+) or rust buckets for like $500. My mate wants to sell me his KE70 for 50 bucks, it has a heap of rust with many holes in the read end and the front has been in a minor crash. The engine still works but needs a new clutch. Would this be a good deal for 50 bucks? I dont know if i would have to re-shell the car or i can fix up the rust by welding in sheetmetal. How would i go about buying a rust free shell??

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamb View Post
                            Hey man I've been following this thread for a while now....You're making some awesome progress!! I have always been a fan of the corolla's (have an AE92 seca for my daily atm) and i just love the older ones like the KE70. I really wanna buy one to restore and take over as my daily with maybe abit of drifting here and there Its just a shame all of the good KE's have been taken and now i am only left with really expensive stocko's ($2500+) or rust buckets for like $500. My mate wants to sell me his KE70 for 50 bucks, it has a heap of rust with many holes in the read end and the front has been in a minor crash. The engine still works but needs a new clutch. Would this be a good deal for 50 bucks? I dont know if i would have to re-shell the car or i can fix up the rust by welding in sheetmetal. How would i go about buying a rust free shell??
                            Glad to hear from another fan, a lot of people view this thread but few write anything haha. There are plenty of KE's out there, just not as many in certain area's. You also have to go beyond Car Sales and eBay to get a good deal. I would have to see a picture before I could say whether I would personally bother with it. It would be a lot of work and theoretically any amount of rust can be fixed, just depends how good you are at fabrication work and the time and money you are willing to spend. $50 is a good price for any car in my opinion, but how much will you spend getting it fully functional again? I was lucky as I got something cheap but also mechanically sound, it just looked like a heap of sh*t. If you want a KE with no rust as all you will have to spend at least $1000, but for minor rust which is easy to fix then getting something for less then a grand should be easy. Really depends how skilled you are and the time you have to put into it.

Also note, space to work with. Don't buy a car if you don't have the room to keep it somewhere and pull it apart. I learn't that it's fair enough having a single car space for your car, but once you pull the entire interior out you will more or less need double the space to keep the stuff until your ready to put it back in. Just something to think about
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePotatoSmasher View Post
                              It could be easy but if the cars already auto you would be changing more then the gearbox, starts getting complicated if you dont know what your doing. I have the 4 speed in my car with a 4K-C, the 5 speed came with the 4A-C so you would have to do a full swap as the gearboxes won't bolt up. The 4A-C is a bigger engine anyway so it would be a win both ways.
                              I think that just the AE71's here had 4a-c motors, and i'm pretty sure the TE's were all 3tc motors.. couldn't i just pick up a 4/5 speed tranny that fits a 3tc motor ?
                              simple as that right? + Installing clutch/clutch cable?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lamb View Post
                                Hey man I've been following this thread for a while now....You're making some awesome progress!! I have always been a fan of the corolla's (have an AE92 seca for my daily atm) and i just love the older ones like the KE70. I really wanna buy one to restore and take over as my daily with maybe abit of drifting here and there Its just a shame all of the good KE's have been taken and now i am only left with really expensive stocko's ($2500+) or rust buckets for like $500. My mate wants to sell me his KE70 for 50 bucks, it has a heap of rust with many holes in the read end and the front has been in a minor crash. The engine still works but needs a new clutch. Would this be a good deal for 50 bucks? I dont know if i would have to re-shell the car or i can fix up the rust by welding in sheetmetal. How would i go about buying a rust free shell??
                                If the running gear is good, and you can weld, go for it.
                                And even if it turns out to be too much for you, you can always take the body off the chassis, and send it off to the scrappers and you'll recoup your costs.
                                "Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail."

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X