Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PotatoSmashers '82 Toyota KE70 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im thinking of buying a KE70 for my first car, maybe one like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=562642910

Comment

Originally posted by OldFarmerWilly View Post
      Im thinking of buying a KE70 for my first car, maybe one like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=562642910
      Not bad for 3.5k, good old DX Rolla's
      Originally posted by Dump
      If she blocks you on FB that means she wants your penis.
      Originally posted by krayziemike001
      While you're at it you may aswell ring up the grim reaper and make a reservation.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OldFarmerWilly View Post
        I would recommend them, especially if you want to learn. They don't get much more basic then these cars, carb engine, manual box, rear drive. Perfect learning platform.

On another note, went and bought some supplies today for painting this and turning it into a switch panel:

This is going to be a test piece of the interior theme I want to go with.

Materials Include:
        - Filler Primer
        - Matte Black Spray Paint
        - Carbon Fiber Wrap
        - Dremel Tool for cutting the plastic

What I'm hoping to get is something like this:

I'm looking at eventually doing some drag racing so I'm going to set up one switch as a line lock. Others I'm considering is isolating the fuel pump power, battery power, and maybe a starter button. Thoughts on the last 3 appreciated
        1982 Toyota Corolla KE70 - Build Thread
        2004 Subaru Liberty Sedan EJ25 5sp Manual - Current Daily Thread
        1994 Toyota Corolla Hatch Csi Ltd. 4AFE 4sp Auto - Sold 25/01/13
        sigpic

Comment

Awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out!
          1986 VW Jetta-The Whore!!
          1981 Chevy Silverado-Old Man Style

Into Euro cars? looking for a Euro forum? Check out this site! Join and have a good time chatting!
          http://www.eurovagens.com/

Comment

Another update, did more work on the soon to be switch panel...

Also the carbon fiber wrap I ordered came in the mail today looks like it's exactly what I'm after.

And I've decided on the switches I'm going to use. Missile Toggle Switches they are commonly referred to.

Most likely going to have 3 of these but I'd also like to get a momentary push button switch for the starter but one that will fit under the same missile style cover so it all matches. Having a bit of trouble finding one online but I'm hopefully going to Jaycar this week to see what they have. The switches are 12mm dia. for anyone who is interested.

Might get some small red lights to go above the switches to light up when the switch is on. Hopefully will be painting and seeing something finished this weekend.
            sigpic

Comment

Switches look sick thats for sure, mates got one for his horn, and just flicks it on and leaves it on when people pull out in front of him is what he tells me hahaha
              Originally posted by Dump
              If she blocks you on FB that means she wants your penis.
              Originally posted by krayziemike001
              While you're at it you may aswell ring up the grim reaper and make a reservation.
              sigpic

Comment

YES! KEs are the absolute shit. Theres one that was in the BDC built by Huxley motorsport but its sold now.

Very much looking forward to see the finished result of this!
                [OO [] [] OO] i roll an e30, M20 power - Know your E numbers

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...0-(-number-2-) my build thread

https://www.facebook.com/thelowcartel - please join the last frontier of stance

Comment

Starting to progress with this car, I've pulled majority of the interior out. All that is left is the dash.

Also below is the front seats. I thought about having them re-trimmed, but the foam would also need to be replaced. Overall I don't think I'm going to put these seats back in, I'm considering getting some cheap buckets from Autobarn, for $150 - $200 each it would be cheaper then paying an upholster to redo the originals. However the rear seat is in much better condition so I might have that re-trimmed to match.

In progress of cleaning the carpet, it's a bit stained so I'm thinking about dying it black. Certainly would look better then the faded blue.

I also sprayed a few parts today with filler primer in preparation for the flat black top coat.

I'm really pleased with this part so far, the repairs that I did look like they wont be seen at all. The part on the right will soon be a switch panel and the one next to it goes around the gear stick. Hopefully they will be sprayed black tomorrow if the weather is nice.

Also I've had a thought about the dash, instead of spraying it black I've thought about wrapping it in a black microsuede fabric. Then it will break up the flat black plastic parts a bit. It should also prevent the dash from cracking.

An example below.

By the way I am very open to any thoughts or suggestions
                  sigpic

Comment

What primer did you use out of curiousity? looks sweet as..

That microsuede looks nice too.. i might look into it myself

Comment

Originally posted by BarinaBeast View Post
                      What primer did you use out of curiousity? looks sweet as..

That microsuede looks nice too.. i might look into it myself
                      Repco "Putty and Primer", I think their was a picture of the can on the previous page. Works really well I'd definitely recommend it and it's not expensive either. $16 for a 400g can is quite good. I haven't sanded it back yet but it looks really smooth already. Fills in the wrinkly plastic pattern that the car comes with really well.

I hadn't heard of microsuede until the other day, apparently it was a really big thing once that's died off a bit. I think it looks really good personally, it will also cover up my cracked dashboard
                      sigpic

Comment

Wet sanded some parts today and sprayed them black. I think they have come out really well.

Will start on the carbon fiber panel tomorrow.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well done mate that made em look like new

Comment

Well done mate that made em look like new
                            For about $30 worth of paint and some sandpaper it really makes a difference.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThePotatoSmasher View Post
                              For about $30 worth of paint and some sandpaper it really makes a difference.
                              it really does.. i might attack my s13 like that and see how it goes

Comment

it really does.. i might attack my s13 like that and see how it goes
                                Seriously have a go because if it comes out crap, sand it off and do it again. It's only cheap and if you ever want to change the colour it's not hard.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X