Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PotatoSmashers '82 Toyota KE70 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hankey
    replied
    Kieellllll

wtf why aren't our 4A's running yet?

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Originally posted by KillerBunnys122 View Post
    Yeah just sounds like they're very sticky using that little spring compressor sounds like a pain :/ doesn't help having the valve move with the spring/retainers. Try cleaning/blowing out the shit around the retainers then give it another shot I guess.
    Eh I've been at it for a few days it just being a real c*nt at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• KillerBunnys122
    replied
    Originally posted by ThePotatoSmasher View Post
    I have seen those tools and I tossed up between the two. The tool I have compresses the spring and I can lock it into place and the valve opens, I can then tap the valve with the wooden end of a hammer to push it back through, however the retainers still don't pop, the spring comes out of it's seat instead
    Yeah just sounds like they're very sticky using that little spring compressor sounds like a pain :/ doesn't help having the valve move with the spring/retainers. Try cleaning/blowing out the shit around the retainers then give it another shot I guess.

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Just some up close pictures of the valve springs and retainers.

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    I can never think straight when I need to! >.< Well atleast when I did the ones on mine I cracked the seal like you said, but instead of a spring compressor I used like a clamp that held on the valve and pushed the spring down. If you know what I mean, that just pushed down the spring keeping the valve in it's place and the things came out easy, picked up with a little magnet.

Are you compressing the spring and the valve/retainers holding on?
    I have seen those tools and I tossed up between the two. The tool I have compresses the spring and I can lock it into place and the valve opens, I can then tap the valve with the wooden end of a hammer to push it back through, however the retainers still don't pop, the spring comes out of it's seat instead

Leave a comment:

• KillerBunnys122
    replied
    I can never think straight when I need to! >.< Well atleast when I did the ones on mine I cracked the seal like you said, but instead of a spring compressor I used like a clamp that held on the valve and pushed the spring down. If you know what I mean, that just pushed down the spring keeping the valve in it's place and the things came out easy, picked up with a little magnet.

Are you compressing the spring and the valve/retainers holding on?

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    I'll put some detailed photos up tomorrow of the ones that I did get out, might give some clues.

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Yeah chuck up a pic. Sounds like you know what you're doing I was gonna say to use a socket and a hammer. You're doing that without compressing the spring yeah?
    Yeah I tried hitting the socket to try break the tension before using the tool. It's not a difficult task they are just really f*cking tight. This picture shows the top of the valves, you can see the two halves and they "should" just pop out.

Leave a comment:

• KillerBunnys122
    replied
    Using the proper tool valve spring compressor tool, I've tried putting a socket over it and giving it a hit to crack the seal. I just don't want to damage anything. The 3 that came out, the spring compressed and the retainer separated into it's two halves and I was able to grab them with a pair of long nose pliers. The rest just don't want to pop loose. I can post photos if that will help.
    Yeah chuck up a pic. Sounds like you know what you're doing I was gonna say to use a socket and a hammer.

You're doing that without compressing the spring yeah? Also it's handy to use a magnet to pickup the retainer bits.
    Last edited by KillerBunnys122; 22-08-2013, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    How are you taking them out? What exactly are you doing? I'll try point out whatever you're missing.
    Using the proper tool valve spring compressor tool, I've tried putting a socket over it and giving it a hit to crack the seal. I just don't want to damage anything. The 3 that came out, the spring compressed and the retainer separated into it's two halves and I was able to grab them with a pair of long nose pliers. The rest just don't want to pop loose. I can post photos if that will help.

Leave a comment:

• KillerBunnys122
    replied
    Anyway I am currently in the process of rebuilding the head but for some reason 3 of the 8 valve spring retainers came out with ease but the rest will not budge. No idea why, any hints would be great
    How are you taking them out? What exactly are you doing? I'll try point out whatever you're missing.
    Last edited by KillerBunnys122; 22-08-2013, 09:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Anyway I am currently in the process of rebuilding the head but for some reason 3 of the 8 valve spring retainers came out with ease but the rest will not budge. No idea why, any hints would be great

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Originally posted by zxing View Post
    Shit sorry to hear that dude! Hopefully it isn't a write off
    Panel beater recons it's write off, it wasn't a huge area that got hit, but it was hit pretty hard. The insurance people want a full quote on repairs from the panel beater. I think they are stupid personally if they think it's able to be fixed for less then what the car is worth.

Leave a comment:

• zxing
    replied
    Still beyond me how people manage to read through 40 pages haha don't expect updates for a while as I crashed my daily yesterday so I'll probably be tight on money.
    Shit sorry to hear that dude! Hopefully it isn't a write off

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Originally posted by RBenthusiast View Post
    How bad was the crash? you allgood?
    No injuries, car is possibly a write off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X