Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kneebone's FC RX7 :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kneebone
    replied
    update time!! =D
    so after promising myself that i would get an LSD for ages i finally found one reasonably priced and so i went for it
    however nothing ever goes to plan and what should have been an easy afternoon diff swap turned into a month long affair! >.< the old diff looked as though it hadn't been taken out since the car was built with the stubborness that i encountered for all of the bolts getting it off. This alone ended taking two weekends worth of work until i finally got to this stage

BUT as i pulled it out i managed to snap the front diff mount in half >.<
    and then to top it all off i found out that i actually had (despite what the previous owner and my reasearch said) an lsd already in there, it was just completely worn out it would have been a whole lot cheaper just to get it shimmed >.<
    It was another weeks wait for the part to arrive from the US before i could finally bolt things back together.
    that being said it is so worth it, the lsd just makes it grip the road much better than before and it puts a grin on my face every time!

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    Originally posted by 007 View Post
    Nice FC, im jealous that you have a turbo. Whats your max boost level? (I think stock is about 7.5 psi on an s5)

I drove my first FD the other day and OMG, apart from the fact that I could barely fit in it(im not fat, im 6'1) it was crazy 1150KG with about 265ish HP. I didn't drive it that fast but with the sequential turbos it got to 10psi in a flash. I prefer my FC for casual driving and its still better than most "Sports cars". The FD though... i felt like an F1 driver being squeezed into the low strung cockpit. The one I drove had a stiff gas pedal, new clutch and short shift throw. and I could just feel the power going from the engine through the pedals and into my brain, same story with the handling; it was like my hands were the front wheels. And the boost in the FD... moog would probably describe it as a worm hole generator. The FD is the best car I have ever driven(in terms of driver feedback and sportiness).

I haven't driven a turbo FC, but having boost on my N/A would be a nice addition.

Unfortunately im selling my FC soon, I have loved it at every stage of owning it(normally i like a car then i get bored of it, then hate it) it will be sad to see it go but i will be getting another RX7 within the next year or so.

Your car looks really clean, you will probably get some members telling you to do some crude mods to it; but my suggestion is just to leave it how it is.
    Max boost level is still stock; the whole engine is still stock!, its .4 bar on the boost gauge (which is about 7-7.5 psi from memory). I love the turbo on it, its such a rush when it comes on and being twin scroll it comes on nice and early (a bit over 2k) unfortunately I've only got 200 hp (probably less now although the free flowing exhaust should mean its still close!) i'm feeling the need for more power now though!

The plan is to leave the car looking as stock as possible (so basically how it is now, no more visual mods) and get to work on making it go nice and fast! My ballpark figure is for it to have a better power to weight than a maloo so say a nice round 300 hp should do it!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Nice FC, im jealous that you have a turbo. Whats your max boost level? (I think stock is about 7.5 psi on an s5)

I drove my first FD the other day and OMG, apart from the fact that I could barely fit in it(im not fat, im 6'1) it was crazy 1150KG with about 265ish HP. I didn't drive it that fast but with the sequential turbos it got to 10psi in a flash. I prefer my FC for casual driving and its still better than most "Sports cars". The FD though... i felt like an F1 driver being squeezed into the low strung cockpit. The one I drove had a stiff gas pedal, new clutch and short shift throw. and I could just feel the power going from the engine through the pedals and into my brain, same story with the handling; it was like my hands were the front wheels. And the boost in the FD... moog would probably describe it as a worm hole generator. The FD is the best car I have ever driven(in terms of driver feedback and sportiness).

I haven't driven a turbo FC, but having boost on my N/A would be a nice addition.

Unfortunately im selling my FC soon, I have loved it at every stage of owning it(normally i like a car then i get bored of it, then hate it) it will be sad to see it go but i will be getting another RX7 within the next year or so.

Your car looks really clean, you will probably get some members telling you to do some crude mods to it; but my suggestion is just to leave it how it is.

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    Originally posted by afpreppie04 View Post
    Nice FC, glad to see more of them popping up on here. ... I never knew the automatic ones had an open diff. They have a 3.909:1 instead of 4.10:1 too don't they?
    Cheers =] and i belive they do, which is going to throw my speedo way out when i change everything around >.<

Leave a comment:

• afpreppie04
    replied
    Nice FC, glad to see more of them popping up on here. I never realized the scoop was off center until after I bought mine too. There are aftermarket ones with centered scoops but they do not fit the TMIC. I never knew the automatic ones had an open diff. They have a 3.909:1 instead of 4.10:1 too don't they?

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    j
    ust measured it. its approx. 20mm off centre. enough to be barely noticeable :P
    nice. have you started any management/commerce subjects? or is management in sydney different from melb??? i started my first commerce subject and im honestly considering dropping the double degree in favour of some quantum mechanics
    yeah generally I find them quite boring, but on the good side very easy! and it always helps when getting jobs as well

Leave a comment:

• micrors4
    replied
    Nice to see a clean RX7, I can't even imagine how bad it was with 19s on it, the 17s look perfect though.

Leave a comment:

• Gabe
    replied
    Originally posted by Kneebone View Post
    yeah it is a bit weird that its off center, but it's cause of the mounting point for the intercooler is on the intake meaning it has to be slightly off center!
    I also like to think that it helps with visibility :P
    All part of the charm of the car

Leave a comment:

• tony
    replied
    Originally posted by Cal
    I may need an engineer later in life, you two should be able to help
    haha sure thing mate. there are actually alot of engineers on this forum (many of whom have already acquired their degree). if you have any questions, best bet is to post in the off topic category and you should see answers flooding in :P

yeah it is a bit weird that its off center, but it's cause of the mounting point for the intercooler is on the intake meaning it has to be slightly off center!

yep mech eng with project management tacked on
    just measured it. its approx. 20mm off centre. enough to be barely noticeable :P
    nice. have you started any management/commerce subjects? or is management in sydney different from melb??? i started my first commerce subject and im honestly considering dropping the double degree in favour of some quantum mechanics

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabe View Post
    Loving the FC atm.
    I never realised that the bonnet scoop was off centre til I was told. Nice pictures for a nice car.

Wouldn't mind a video of seeing it in action

[QUOTE]
    damn :/ oh well... maybe next time (if i dont snap it up first :P).
    nice. mechanical im guessing???
    yep mech eng with project management tacked on

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    Originally posted by barton View Post
    Your fc looks amazing. the paint looks sooo shiny
    it was resprayed just before the import in 06 as far as i can tell red is the original colour though

Leave a comment:

• barton
    replied
    Your fc looks amazing. the paint looks sooo shiny

Leave a comment:

• tony
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabe View Post
    Loving the FC atm.
    I never realised that the bonnet scoop was off centre til I was told. Nice pictures for a nice car.

Really???? i honestly had no idea... now im going to go out to check my turbo bonnet because i dont believe you :P

Yeah thats why im bummed i missed it! and I'm still a student myself, give me another couple of years and I'll be out there too
    damn :/ oh well... maybe next time (if i dont snap it up first :P).
    nice. mechanical im guessing???

Leave a comment:

• Kneebone
    replied
    Originally posted by tony View Post
    haha sometimes the temptation is too much :P

$600?! cheap as chips! you're an engineer? SWEET! ill soon be calling myself that when i finish my degree :P
    Yeah thats why im bummed i missed it! and I'm still a student myself, give me another couple of years and I'll be out there too

Leave a comment:

• Gabe
    replied
    Loving the FC atm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X