Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Little Red Wagon (Obviously Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Red Wagon (Obviously Pic Heavy)

So, yes, My first thread

Here is a 97 Audi B5 A4 Avant, a Manual 1.8 20V FWD vehicle in Lazer Red.

The red thing arrived on my driveway, April 11 2012. I haven't seen it as I was overseas (No idea if it was smart or not to tell mother to get me a car without me looking at it)
    cost 300,000ยข (4k in the ad, got it down due to the problems she had). But yes, it was cheap so I let the problems slide

After about a week, it was in the workshop for 28 days (We told our mechanic to take his time, as it wasn't desperately needed)

Timing belt, tappet gasket, all 4 brake rotors machined and other things need to be done in a Major service. (Window washer pump took about a week and a half to arrive, which was the reason for the 28 days)

The day she was done.
    Afterwards, all was fine apart from the usual dietary requirement of the radiator stop leak (Not the cheap stuff)
    The ABS problem was ignored as I'd be broke after.

Another problem that existed when I bought her was the Tacho throwing a fit everytime you turned the key, I went around for a few weeks basing clutch work off the sound, and sometimes the Aircon display being a tacho. This was fixed by buying a new cluster, but it was a different unit so I don't have a buzzer anymore.

Oh, and a Volvo attempted to run me off the road.
    The Maori is now in trouble, Assault on a Minor and a Hit and run
    Soo yeah, XC90 rear right wheel vs Audi

Kicked my door in too...

So yeah, didn't do much after that.

But then decided to remove my tint as the rear right passenger door was like attempting to see through those wonky mirrors.

Removed all the tint on the doors, but left the cargo area for some privacy.

Decided to get the wagon new shoes as they were cheap ($200 for a set)

MIJ's shop of them on the vehicle.
    I need to find them soles though. (Any suggestions?, needs 225/45/r17 that aren't too pricey)

Basically went in for a service, had Tierods done then too (Found out nearly everything mechanical is original from Aug 96)

Old Tierod

New Tierod
    Due to how long these things were in there (I think the old tierods are now about 16 years old) the right one took an hour and a half to get out, compered to the left which took 20 to replace entirely, damn thing was stuck.

Also finally had a chance to look underneath the wagon.

Most of the stone guard is gone now, Previous owner bought cheap springs ($156 or so off ebay I'm guessing) so a really shitty springrate means I scrape on most obstacles.

But yeah, how she is today.

(Shitty photo, didn't really take my time with it.)

List of things to do:
    ◦Get new springs (Ones with a harder springrate though I'd like to stay this low, Suggestions)
    ◦Fit rubber onto new rims and maybe place spacers in too.
    ◦Find a front lip (P.O probably ripped it off on a curb)
    ◦Redo Headliner, along with the upholstery aswell (Mainly the door trim)
    ◦fix clear coat issues, mainly on the front left quarter panel and the mirrors. other paint issues include cracking paint on bumpers...
    ◦Maybe a better stereo (Real shitty headunit, Blaukpunkt Montreal paired with Nokia speakers ain't good, once again Suggestions are nice)
    ◦Replace Steering wheel
    ◦Clutch and belt tensioner need to be replaced
    ◦Brighter Headlight Bulbs (Suggestions)
    ◦Pesky Oil leak and might do the tranny oil.
    Last edited by The Euromy; 06-04-2013, 12:35 AM.
    1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
    1997 w202 Mercedes Benz C180 <-Mummy's car
    ... Cars, Music, Photography, that's the life
    - P Plater

Needs a bit of work but she'll eventually get there The Rims are going to look very smick with some new rubber around them.
    sigpic
    _'03 Mazda 323 Astina Shades __________________________________________________ ________NG Images - My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by MadeinJapan View Post
      Needs a bit of work but she'll eventually get there The Rims are going to look very smick with some new rubber around them.
      Yeah, still gotta find the rubber I'd like.

Plus, I've gotta diagnose this new squeak that she's developed.
      1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
      - P Plater

Comment

Beautiful Audi, should post some interior pics. Always Audis strong points, see you got your P's aswell congrats im going for my test in 6 days (:
        and that sucks about being run off the road, worst I have had is a rock thrown at the side of my car in oxenford because my friend driving flashed the cars headlights at him. No damage luckily
        Last edited by BMWAdam; 06-04-2013, 01:05 AM.
        http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psb544bf0a.jpgCheck out my thread for my first car E36 BMW 318i - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...33-My-BMW-318i

Comment

Originally posted by BMWAdam View Post
          Beautiful Audi, should post some interior pics. Always Audis strong points, see you got your P's aswell congrats im going for my test in 6 days (:
          Interior is this one's weak point, anything fabric apart from the seats is sagging.
          That I'm gonna fix up soon.

Thanks Btw, the test was actually fairly easy although I used the horn 3 times in it. (Do lessons, they help alot. I did 2)
          Last edited by The Euromy; 06-04-2013, 01:04 AM.
          1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
          - P Plater

Comment

Originally posted by The Euromy View Post
            Interior is this one's weak point, anything fabric apart from the seats is sagging.
            That I'm gonna fix up soon.

Thanks Btw, the test was actually fairly easy although I used the horn 3 times in it. (Do lessons, they help alot. I did 2)
            Ahahaha yeah. I have had one and im going for another one 1 day before the test, I am stressing but everybody sais its easy so hopefully I should be right. I know some pretty terrible drivers who have recently passed so thats comforting ahaha
            http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psb544bf0a.jpgCheck out my thread for my first car E36 BMW 318i - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...33-My-BMW-318i

Comment

Ahahaha yeah. I have had one and im going for another one 1 day before the test, I am stressing but everybody sais its easy so hopefully I should be right. I know some pretty terrible drivers who have recently passed so thats comforting ahaha
              There are alot of terrible drivers on the coast.
              In the test, this aged care courtesy car nearly ran the stop sign into me. Another one a Woman backed out of her driveway after looking at me come toward her, she still went into the center of the road cutting me off. A Fire and rescue ute cut into my lane in a turn aswell. Oh, and a girl on a skateboard decided to go into oncoming traffic(me). All during my test.
              I'm an accident magnet.

Only thing I was told to do was to slow down alittle at the end, Kinda was just about 3km over most of the time. (Did mine at Southport)
              1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
              - P Plater

Comment

There are alot of terrible drivers on the coast.
                In the test, this aged care courtesy car nearly ran the stop sign into me. Another one a Woman backed out of her driveway after looking at me come toward her, she still went into the center of the road cutting me off. A Fire and rescue ute cut into my lane in a turn aswell. Oh, and a girl on a skateboard decided to go into oncoming traffic(me). All during my test.
                I'm an accident magnet.

Only thing I was told to do was to slow down alittle at the end, Kinda was just about 3km over most of the time. (Did mine at Southport)

I am doing mine in Southport as well, I was going to do Helensvale but I would of had to wait until may, and im not doing that ahah. Yeah not wrong, I think because generally speaking the coast has very good roads and driving conditions compared to some parts in NSW and VIC. Queensland drivers dont know how to drive in fog, ice and whenever it rains everybody rather slows down to 20km/h or speeds up to 150km/h.

Comment

I am doing mine in Southport as well, I was going to do Helensvale but I would of had to wait until may, and im not doing that ahah. Yeah not wrong, I think because generally speaking the coast has very good roads and driving conditions compared to some parts in NSW and VIC. Queensland drivers dont know how to drive in fog, ice and whenever it rains everybody rather slows down to 20km/h or speeds up to 150km/h.
                  Originally my test was booked for Currumbin waters on the same day but I kept looking and the Southport one popped up (Closer to home).
                  Rain is quite annoying with traffic, infact most drivers don't know the actual rules on the road, and the SUV owners always seem to not see my car (It's bright red and makes a bit of noise, not exactly a stealth vehicle). We're lucky we don't get fog here, that will be very interesting but then the people who don't know what the foglights do in their cars don't have to worry.
                  1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
                  - P Plater

Comment

mate! woah sounding like this is an accident magnet hahaa!
                    a beautiful car mate! red goes faster eh eh
                    my calibra also has a bad case of dropping headliner.. soo annoying! I feel your pain!
                    as for the brighter headlights mate, if you dont want to go for a full HID conversion.. (which I haven't opted for as they can get illegal if not dipped well and can be a nuisance to other drivers) go for a 60% Phillips bulb! you'll love the difference!
                    I also recommend putting LED's throughout the car.. so in places like your glove box, map lights interior light, boot and numberplate lamps! once you go there's no going back! gives the car a much cleaner and newer touch especially at night! (jump onto my thread for before and afters of standard bulbs. vs LED's!)

Keep up the good work mate!

Comment

Originally my test was booked for Currumbin waters on the same day but I kept looking and the Southport one popped up (Closer to home).
                      Rain is quite annoying with traffic, infact most drivers don't know the actual rules on the road, and the SUV owners always seem to not see my car (It's bright red and makes a bit of noise, not exactly a stealth vehicle). We're lucky we don't get fog here, that will be very interesting but then the people who don't know what the foglights do in their cars don't have to worry.
                      Ahaha very true. I will have to look out for your car when im around anyway

Comment

Originally posted by SAMARAI View Post
                        mate! woah sounding like this is an accident magnet hahaa!
                        a beautiful car mate! red goes faster eh eh
                        my calibra also has a bad case of dropping headliner.. soo annoying! I feel your pain!
                        as for the brighter headlights mate, if you dont want to go for a full HID conversion.. (which I haven't opted for as they can get illegal if not dipped well and can be a nuisance to other drivers) go for a 60% Phillips bulb! you'll love the difference!
                        I also recommend putting LED's throughout the car.. so in places like your glove box, map lights interior light, boot and numberplate lamps! once you go there's no going back! gives the car a much cleaner and newer touch especially at night! (jump onto my thread for before and afters of standard bulbs. vs LED's!)

Keep up the good work mate!
                        At the moment I'm a fan of warm looking lights, so LED is not really on my list of to do things.
                        I'll look into the Philips bulbs as I have also opted away from HID's (Glass lenses aren't exactly cheap if they crack)

Ahaha very true. I will have to look out for your car when im around anyway
                        You won't miss it. Probably the only red B5 Avant on the coast.
                        Plus, I usually drive with the parkers on.
                        1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
                        - P Plater

Comment

Ah so this is the red rocket

Looks good but any interior shots?

By the way nice choice on Tools. I love Snap-On as well!
                          MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
                          Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
                          Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
                          Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
                          Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
                          MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

Originally posted by MRTIIDA View Post
                            Ah so this is the red rocket

Looks good but any interior shots?

By the way nice choice on Tools. I love Snap-On as well!
                            Not mine, Workshop's tools.

I'll try interior shots later on today since everyone's asking for it
                            1997 b5 Audi A4 Avant
                            - P Plater

Comment

Looks good, great first car you have there!

More about the door-kicking incident pls.

Also, I'm confused, are you still an L-plater? (your signature says you are anyway).

Comment

Working...
                              X