Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 Impreza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Impreza

I recently brought a '95 impreza L as a cheap project. It looks like a banger at the moment and I got it for $900. It has an EJ18 (1.8L) subaru boxer engine with 310,000 kms, a 4EAT auto transmission, and full time AWD. I plan on keeping the whole build under $3000. If I Like the end result I will keep if as a winter car.

Here it is, on this side it had a little bit of rust behind the back wheel where the bumper and quarter panel meet.

Same rust problem as first pic, it also needs the roof dents fixed, the hole in the door fixed(or door replaced if i see a cheap one) and the lightly rusted dent; behind the front wheel.

The green thing is a magnet plate that has been stuck on for too long and needs to be chipped off.

I will be getting a new headlight, front bumper, and bonnet.

I gave it a thorough inspection and here is the work that needs to be done:

-A few new gaskets
    -Rust proof the underside
    -Complete service
    -New front windscreen
    -Rear right wheel bearing
    -Rear drum to disc conversion (just brought whole rear disc setup for $40)
    -WRX bonnet(hood)
    -WRX large Spoiler
    -WRX front bumper
    -WRX side skirts
    -Seal lights so no leaks
    -Paint it Blue
    -Add whole car WRC subaru vinyl
    -WRC mud flaps

If I like it and use it as my winter car I will get:
    -stock WRX catback exhaust
    -new wheels with ice rally tires
    -Cover the interior with alcantara
    -Get a new headunit and speaker setup
    -Better seats

I will do most of the work my self(I got it as a project) and if i find a WRX in a wreckers I should be able to get most of the parts I need for relatively cheap.

More Pics of intrest:

The engine

The extremely small exhaust

The clean-ish chassis

Frangipani? Close enough +10kw

The reason I want to keep the build under $3000 is because where I live; an Impreza L in good condition costs about $3000. I probably wont do an engine swap(unless i can get one for less than the cost of new gaskets), Since owning my sports bike I realized there is no need for a vehicle with more than 80HP/Ton for daily driving.

The two reason's I didn't buy a WRX is:
    -I am looking for a cheap project(there are no WRX's with problems near me)
    -WRX's cost Minimum $11,0000 where I live.

I want to make it look something like this, but with no STI stuff, stock ride height, gold wheels, and WRC vinyl.
    Originally posted by porkhuntt View Post

Mx5 NA (1.6L)
    Impreza ('95 2dr)
    Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Nice this has some awesome potential.
    MAAAAAD

My Daily

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_one View Post
      Nice this has some awesome potential.
      Thanks man, its always good to hear nice stuff about the car.

I got it trailered to my parents ranch this morning so it wont be in the way. I drove my Chrysler 300 back to my parents (2 hour drive) for storage last night and got a ride back with them early this morning to help load up the Subaru. I was keeping the Impreza at the guy I brought it off's house, so we got there early this morning (I had an exam at 10 AM) and I went to start it to drive it on and nothing happened. I poped the hood and the battery terminal was loose. I tightened that and still nothing. The guy I brought it off left the lights on and the battery was dead. So I used my car charger but it wasn't giving enough power. So i went to jump start it with leads; but the car I went to jump it from didn't start. So we ended up pushing it on

When my parents dropped me off at my place I took some pics.

(my parent towwed it home for me for free )

The impreza could drive home(legally and mechanically), but I want to give it a thorough checkup and service before highway driving it.
      Mx5 NA (1.6L)
      Impreza ('95 2dr)
      Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Well I have been working hard.

Ha, JK I saw this car parked in a carpark outside a shop and I went in to ask whos it was. The guy came out and showed me around it. He was so nice and happy to answer any questions and he offered to help me with my impreza. (proof that most car enthusiasts are nice people)
        The engine and drive train is completely upgraded and he used to rally it. He has it setup for paved track use at the moment. There is too many mods to list, but it has mostly performance mods (not vinyl on the hood and those canards are there for down force)

Awesome car and awesome owner.
        Mx5 NA (1.6L)
        Impreza ('95 2dr)
        Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

I found out the oil hadn't been changed in 26,000Kms (due every 6,000). It shows how reliable the 1.8L subi boxer engines are. I sea foamed the intake, and did a thorough oil flush.
          The car is now at 317,000kms and still runs amazingly. I took it for a quick drive through the mountain roads where my parents live and it was amazing fun and stable at speed.

The 26,000km oil was jet black as you would expect but with the oil flush additive it was quite thin.(looked like normal old oil, but less viscous)
          I will do the ATF, coolant, and diffs when I get a chance.

I cleaned the car for the first time and took the clear vinyl bra off(was a huge pain in the arse). I think it looks a bit better now though.

AS soon as I find a WRX parts car I will start modding.

If anyone wants to do a number plate trade(from other countries) I have some old British Columbia Canada plates off my 300. If your interested let me know.

if you are thinking about getting one of these get the auto version, its better.
          http://www.xcceleration.com/4EAT-101.htm
          Last edited by 007; 05-05-2013, 06:38 AM.
          Mx5 NA (1.6L)
          Impreza ('95 2dr)
          Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

I have been on the hunt for a coupe for like a year its so rear to found a name coupé or as they are known as the retina.
            Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
            TT's suck balls, go single and celebrate life.
            Quoted for the Truth

Comment

These cars have some awesome potential. My suggestion is to find a JDM WRX front clip and replace the motor and basically the whole front end.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-S...d371ee&vxp=mtr
              29 years old, and still a daily.

Comment

Originally posted by DacerX View Post
                I have been on the hunt for a coupe for like a year its so rear to found a name coupé or as they are known as the retina.
                Nice, I didn't know they were also called the retina. One of the main reasons I brought it was because It reminded me of the older imprezza rally cars.

Originally posted by chrinsx View Post
                These cars have some awesome potential. My suggestion is to find a JDM WRX front clip and replace the motor and basically the whole front end.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-S...d371ee&vxp=mtr

Im stripping it down for the body conversion and paint. If I can find an EJ20 T in a wrecked parts car I will definitely snatch it up. The link you posted was tempting, but im also looking for a front right door and the instrument panel plastics. Im trying to keep the whole build under $3,000 (Cost me $950 so far, im going to look out for a WRX parts car for about $1,050 then that will leave me $1,000 for paint, rally stickers, and any other extras needed)

A good cockpit pressure regulation design I haven't seen before.(located at the back of the car)

The air intake sucks air from the left white plastic tube which sucks it in from the right plastic tube, I think its a dirt/air separator for large chunks of dirt(like thick dust on a rally stage)
                Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                Impreza ('95 2dr)
                Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                  The air intake sucks air from the left white plastic tube which sucks it in from the right plastic tube, I think its a dirt/air separator for large chunks of dirt(like thick dust on a rally stage)
                  Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                  Impreza ('95 2dr)
                  Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Today I have been to every auto scrap yard within 200Km and I have only found 6 subarus(non of them Impreza's). But I did find a Subaru forester L.L Bean edition(I promise its not made up) With a N/A 2.5L 170HP engine and loads of other LL. Bean goodies(steering wheel, floor matts e.c.t), if my EJ18 gives out and I cant find a replacement I will swap the 2.5.

Its a shame that the car was scrapped because it looks new all round. The only damage was a collision on the front right wheel.

I was looking through cars at a different yard and I found these:

Apparently they came stock in some cars. I will try to get them next time I go in (I went around with my MX5(loaded with shopping) so I didn't have any room for seats. I asked the price on some stock 19 inch subie rims(in rough condition) and the guy wanted $600!!! He doesn't know much about car brand stuff so im hoping to get the recaros cheap.

I Just heard about a 2000 Impreza in a auto scrap yard 300Kms away(1 way) so I have my fingers crossed that its a WRX and it hasn't been molested too badly. I will be heading there in just under a week to see.
                    Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                    Impreza ('95 2dr)
                    Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

dont put 19s on a wrx. 16 or 17 suits best, means that u can have some proper tryes and not a spread of marmite (if you dont know what marmite is google it)
                      Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Originally posted by DacerX View Post
                        dont put 19s on a wrx. 16 or 17 suits best, means that u can have some proper tryes and not a spread of marmite (if you dont know what marmite is google it)
                        Agreed. 17 is the best size IMO for the GC impreza, but go as wide as you want. If nothing else, you can snag some Fender flares from Bings for a 240SX that fit the Impreza perfectly.

Like so.

Dat width.
                        1990 240SX HB SR20DET - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-240SX-SR20det - SOLD
                        1995 Subaru WRX - http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...995-Subaru-WRX
                        sigpic

Comment

so perfect you cant use the rear doors
                          Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Originally posted by ZenkiSR View Post
                            Agreed. 17 is the best size IMO for the GC impreza, but go as wide as you want. If nothing else, you can snag some Fender flares from Bings for a 240SX that fit the Impreza perfectly.

Like so.

Dat width.
                            I got some stuff today:

-Tuner wheel nuts
                            -20% VLT tint
                            -17x8.5 rims with a +45 offset

Even though they have less offset I hope with the 8.5 inch rim I wont rub on the suspension. Fender flares would be a good idea, the pic sold it to me .
                            (stock is +53 offset with a 7 inch width rim)

I will paint them black, gold, or a fluorescent colour like bright yellow. (in pic: running stretch 205/40ZR17, I will probably use 45% sidewalls)

17 inch?

Im only legally allowed to tint the rear windows(behind the driver) so I went with 20% because its not too much of a contrast with the un-tinted front and its still dark enough to look cool.

If anyone was wondering what tuner nuts are:

I had a bad experience with tuner nuts on my rx-7(lost the only key) so im a bit apprehensive about using them. I might just use 1 per wheel.
                            Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                            Impreza ('95 2dr)
                            Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

It was insanely hot today. 35 degrees C in the shade and my thermometer maxed out in my car (more than 55 deg C). The Impreza has been stored for the past month and it started up perfectly.

I found two puddles in the car,
                              One in the passenger side rear foot well

And one where the spare tire is; in the boot(trunk)

If anyone has any idea where the water got in let me know. Its not from the A/C, it could be from the rear window but nothing else in the car was wet so I will have to double check.

I test fitted the wheels on the back and they just fit without rubbing on the suspension. I have my fingers crossed for the front.

The rims are too shiny for me so I will paint the spokes and if that looks bad I will paint the whole wheel. I need some proper tires as the current ones are far too thin and narrow. With larger side walls the stock ride height will look fine. I found rear disc brakes for the car but I can never find the time to go and get them(4 hours driving + 1 hour to take them off the donor car)

I also removed most of the stock vinyl stickers that ran around the body.
                              Last edited by 007; 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM.
                              Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                              Impreza ('95 2dr)
                              Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Working...
                              X