Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr Grey's 1990 MX5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Grey's 1990 MX5

Hello, I bought this car a few months ago and have been tinkering and changing things (mostly just for s##ts and giggles). She was completely stock standard when I got her and she had horrible lipstick red rims (which I changed ASAP). The car is a daily driver but I am constantly trying different things mainly because its fun but secondly because the parts are cheap and I'm cheap I will have to be honest, I was never really interested in cars till I got this ride but I have been learning as I go. Thanks have to go out to MCM for the videos that inspired me to get stuck in and start mucking in.

a basic run down of the mods been done sofar:
    - new headunit/underseat sub/door & headrest speakers
    - 5 star alarm and central locking (and remote boot opener)
    - pod filter and head shield (I know they don't do jack, but I like the sound)
    - lathed the rims and repainted them *blaaaack*
    - added body kit pieces and wrapped them in CF vinyl for that 'super douche' look.
    - removed the aerial because commercial radio is tripe.
    - lots of other bits and pieces I can't remember right now because its far too early.

I will let this thread show my mods as I do them so don't expect the ^above^ list to be updated

To do list: (updated 20th july 2013)
    - wait on a set of carbonfibre sideskirts from China
    - install some tein coilovers
    - fit a twin pipe exhaust because 2 pipes are twice as good as one
    - get some front canards
    - replace all standard bulbs with LED's
    - install HID's but do it properly
    - replace my repco mirrors with carbon fibre mirrors
    - install an interior light
    - install a start button for super doucheyness
    - TURBO & tune
    - get some 15" work equip 01's (or replicas)
    - maybe get flares (maybe)
    - upgrade brakes to 11" rotors
    - repaint the rocker cover and install new leads
    - install a front top strut brace

the slamplate in this pic was cut out of aluminum treadplate and then wrapped in CF vinyl which makes it blend in with the engine bay nicely (leaving it polished silver made it stick out like dog balls)

This is a shot after I repainted the rims, you should have seen how awful they looked when I bought the car. In the future I would like to replace these rims with Work equip 01's (or replicas)

This, I feel, is a must have addition for all MX5 owners, because no one likes junkie hairdressers breaking into your car overnight.

thanks for taking a moment to look at my toy, its nice to be here and I will keep this thread updated as I "do stuff".

oh and hiya Chris and Siren, its nice to see you guys here.
    Last edited by MrGrey; 20-07-2013, 07:32 PM.
    sigpic
    1990 na6 MX5

Looks great. Be sure to update when you put the coilovers on.

Miata racing is really big here in the states. Ive rode in/drove both a turbo 1.6, 1.8 and LS1 swapped Miatas. For a street car daily driver I'd go with the turbo. The V8 is amazing on the track though.
    sigpic
    '06 BMW 325i
    '91 BMW 318is
    http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...n-here-BMW-guy

Comment

I love seeing these mx5 threads. they look like such fun cars. I'd love to have one some day.

Comment

Still would love one of these cars but im just to dam tall haha, and i can see why you are wanting teins since that stock height is quite high
        Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
        TT's suck balls, go single and celebrate life.
        Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Originally posted by DacerX View Post
          Still would love one of these cars but im just to dam tall haha, and i can see why you are wanting teins since that stock height is quite high
          I've heard people say they're 6'5 and they fit in these lol

Comment

Yay another mx5-er! We're taking over the forum!!

Car looks really good already, can't wait to see how it progresses
            Red NA6 MX5

Comment

Nice improvement already painting the wheels, black & red always works well.

Look forward to the planned mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnifex View Post
                I've heard people say they're 6'5 and they fit in these lol
                with the top down its fine, but i was struggleing with a hard top in a mates
                Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Sweet, mx5, looking pretty good, i like that sticker, pretty funny.

Comment

just so you know, there is a process called a foamectomy where you cut the foam out of the stock seats which give you more head room
                    I have seen people over 6 foot easily fit in these cars once the seat foam volume has been reduced.

and I highly recommend these cars, although they are impractical for most people, they are one of the most affordable yet fun rides I have ever owned.
                    Last edited by MrGrey; 19-05-2013, 06:01 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1990 na6 MX5

Comment

Will look awesome with coils and the ducktail. The carbon vinyl wrap over that plate looks like it would've been an absolute ***** to do over all those grooves lol. I've seen some pretty dodgy wrap jobs before but it looks really well done.

Comment

Thanks, it took me about 2 hours to do the slam panel but it was worth it.... heh, my heat gun died so I did it using a little fan heater.
                        Last edited by MrGrey; 19-05-2013, 05:59 PM.
                        sigpic
                        1990 na6 MX5

Comment

Yeah i have heard about the foam thing, i almost brought one before i brought my WRX but i just found it such a pain to get in and out of with the hard top on so i went for the wrx
                          Quoted for the Truth

Comment

Sweet Miata. Make sure to never run that intake without the heatshield.......I've burnt through one because of this :P
                            sigpic
                            92 Miata | GT2560R | MSPNP2 | ARtech Full 3in V-Band Set up | Xida Club Sports | Custom 4pt Pearl White Roll Bar | etc, etc, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by MrGrey View Post
                              Thanks, it took me about 2 hours to do the slam panel but it was worth it.... heh, my heat gun died so I did it using a little fan heater.
                              Should have used a hairdrier and fitted the profile

Good catching up on the weekend! I got home and my oil was gone! Haha whoops....
                              1999 Nissan Primera P11
                              1990 Mazda Mx5
                              1995 Nissan Silvia S14 Zenkei
                              1989 BMW 316i
                              ????

Comment

Working...
                              X