Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HJ22's Classic Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HJ22's Classic Mini

Hi guys/girls, I thought I would just make a thread about my small motor vehicle. :P

My car is a 1989 998cc Classic Mini City.
    At the moment it is pretty much stock with just a few small mods, however most of the work I have done is mainly just to trying to keep it alive haha

Now with the bit people actually like... PICTURES!

Let me catch you up with what I have done in the last year...

This is what it was like when I first got it:

First I cleaned up the car and attempted to restore the paint using some help from a pressure washer to remove all of the built up dirt and grime.

At a Mini show at Castle Combe race track I picked up some genuine Rover Minilite alloys to put on the car as the original steels were getting a little tatty.
    Another advantage of the new wheels was that they came with a much better set of tyres. A pair of Falken's at the front and some Yokohoma's at the rear.

The wheels used to be a set of spare race wheels so they weren't in perfect condition, but for the price I couldn't complain.

The height of the front is pretty good. I'd say shoe test is a good fail

The height of the rear though is definitely a fail haha

Now just some pictures of the car:

(Sorry for all the blurred number plates, there has been an increase in Mini thefts in England recently so every little helps to protect the where abouts of mine.)
    Last edited by HJ22; 29-05-2013, 07:06 AM.
    My 89' Classic Mini 998cc

Nice mini. Looks good in white

Sent from my M701C using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    sigpichttp://forums.mightycarmods.com/album.php?albumid=317

Comment

Always had a soft spot for the classic mini
      The new toy its big blue also grey a 1995 Toyota Corolla G Touring 1.5L
      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...158#post480158
      When will they see me in space 32 lights on my camper and growing
      My custom built camper
      I have a magic Corsa it turns water into oil and oil into petrol
      My Opel Corsa and Vaxuhall Chevette

Comment

Originally posted by impakt View Post
        Nice mini. Looks good in white
        Cheers, It has the potential to be awesome, just needs abit of work first
        Last edited by HJ22; 29-05-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Camper Damper View Post
          Always had a soft spot for the classic mini
          Same, especially for this one, it was in the family for a while before I got it. Mini's do get addictive once you've been bitten by the bug haha

Comment

How have I only just come across this?

Your wheels look in pretty decent nick. Make sure they are genuine minilights and not cheap Chinese copies though. I sold a 10" mini light to a guy a couple of years ago. He said that he had three others and only needed one more which he bought of me. A week later I got a message off him saying that after hitting a bump he had smashed two alloys and damaged a third. The only one still in tact was the genuine one I had sold him.

The mini is the only car I know of that looks better with smaller wheels on it. Get some 10's on there.

As for the shoe test its good that your mini fails it on the rear. Don't lower it. It will handle badly if you do as by leaning it back you will screw the steering geometry up.

I can't wait to drive mine again. I am having serious mini withdrawal symptoms.

Nice to meet you at the UK MCM meet.
            Where there's the will and a welder, there's a way

Comment

I love these immensely, and I vow to own one some day. Keen to see more
              Originally posted by thatcoolwind
              Only narrow minded people hate on cars because of their brand.
              Originally posted by Cal
              I've driven skylines, 180's, even hachi's with 4AGZE's, not to mention all my corollas, and I have to say the excel was a blast to drive.
              Check out my excellent ride HERE: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ellent+hyundai

It doesn't matter what kind of car you have, If you've put in the work, time, and money you deserve a little respect.

Comment

Looks awesome! I'm another lifelong mini lover, it was the first car i ever really wanted
                2010 Mazda 3
                1979 Mazda Rx7 - check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by M J W J View Post
                  How have I only just come across this?

Your wheels look in pretty decent nick. Make sure they are genuine minilights and not cheap Chinese copies though. I sold a 10" mini light to a guy a couple of years ago. He said that he had three others and only needed one more which he bought of me. A week later I got a message off him saying that after hitting a bump he had smashed two alloys and damaged a third. The only one still in tact was the genuine one I had sold him.

The mini is the only car I know of that looks better with smaller wheels on it. Get some 10's on there.

As for the shoe test its good that your mini fails it on the rear. Don't lower it. It will handle badly if you do as by leaning it back you will screw the steering geometry up.

I can't wait to drive mine again. I am having serious mini withdrawal symptoms.

Nice to meet you at the UK MCM meet.
                  Cheers Mike, good to meet you to. Hope to see your Mini at one of the future meets

Don't worry the wheels are definitely genuine Rover wheels, no cheapy copies here :P The paint on the front wheels is just a bit flaky and scruffy.
                  I don't think I'm planning on lowering the rear, I just meant that it just looks pretty high against the front.

Comment

Originally posted by khindustries View Post
                    I love these immensely, and I vow to own one some day. Keen to see more
                    It is one of those cars that you need to drive at one point in your life... just too much fun to be had to miss out on
                    I will be adding some updates soon, just need to sort out the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by zxing View Post
                      Looks awesome! I'm another lifelong mini lover, it was the first car i ever really wanted
                      Cheers zxing. It may not be perfect, but I still love it

Comment

Another mini woop!! Looks nice n tidy man what are your future plans?!
                        MiniBallers Mini Club;
                        https://www.facebook.com/miniballersofficial
                        http://miniballers.freeforums.org/
                        Check us out, and give us a like and a share!! Cheers, Your pal Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by HJ22 View Post
                          Cheers Mike, good to meet you to. Hope to see your Mini at one of the future meets

Don't worry the wheels are definitely genuine Rover wheels, no cheapy copies here :P The paint on the front wheels is just a bit flaky and scruffy.
                          I don't think I'm planning on lowering the rear, I just meant that it just looks pretty high against the front.
                          The back does look high compared to the front, all I am saying is that it should do. There are always people on 16v and TMF who ask 'how do I lower the rear of my car as it sits too high?'. A while later comes the inevitable 'why does my mini understeer on me in the wet?'. Answer, 'your suspension geometry is screwed'.

Currently rebuilding the front brakes for my mine. I need to machine 3 new pistons as they are near impossible to find replacements for the ATE callipers. Updates will be put up when done.
                          Where there's the will and a welder, there's a way

Comment

Originally posted by NathanE View Post
                            Another mini woop!! Looks nice n tidy man what are your future plans?!
                            Cheers mate! From your sig yours looks pretty nice.
                            There's a few bits of rust here and there, but nothing major. I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it yet as being 18 my insurance would be a b*tch!! The main things that I'm doing atm is doing my best to repair the rust and adding some other odds and ends. I will add some updates soon.
                            Last edited by HJ22; 05-06-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HJ22 View Post
                              Cheers mate! From your sig yours looks pretty sick!
                              There's a few bits of rust here and there, but nothing major. I'm not planning on doing anything crazy with it yet as being 18 my insurance would be a b*tch!! The main things that I'm doing atm is doing my best to repair the rust and adding some other odds and ends. I will add some updates soon.
                              Cheers dude the "build thread" is on many forums including this one haha !! Sounds familiar haha Hopefully I'll get mine running on the road this summer eventually !! Get yourself over to the forum me and my mates set up if you like :P!!

http://miniballers.freeforums.org/index.php
                              MiniBallers Mini Club;
                              https://www.facebook.com/miniballersofficial
                              http://miniballers.freeforums.org/
                              Check us out, and give us a like and a share!! Cheers, Your pal Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X