Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Abomination: V8 R33 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Abomination: V8 R33 Build

When i first purchased my r33 in November of 2010 it was in a somewhat sad state of affairs, faded (and in parts peeling) gunmetal paint covered the majority of its vulnerable body.

The car itself was a 93 E-Ecr33 (that's right folks she's a type S :P) and like all type S cars was powered by the non turbo variant of the rb25 and backed by the odd 5 speed auto jatco box. So in short it wasn't exactly a speed demon.

It looked something like this when i picked it up (don't let the polish fool you the paint was bad):

It wasn't long before i got sick of looking at the horrible flaking off paint and tool the car down to Steve at wrapture stylings and got him to wrap the top half of the car in black (god those rims are bad)

After getting sick of being teased left right and centre by practically everyone for the dinner plate chromies (18x7 +43 :/ ) I sourced a set of rims off boost cruising and a week later they were on the car (they look like Veilside Andrews, but are probley fake, I have no idea). Somewhere along the line I picked up a series 2 boot as well.

A few months past and after over 220k and multiple trips past that 7k mark on the tacho the poor little rb screamed no more and decided to spin one of the big end bearings, the car remained stationary for over six months while trying to source an engine and after eventually finding one was transplanted into the car over a couple weekends (with more beer consumed then I'd like to think health and safety would approve of). *note nismo sticker for more killerwasps

Using the forces of sheer luck the motor started and ran like a dream, this was followed shortly after with another trip down to Wrapture for a full body wrap in chilli red vinyl:

Which brings us to September 2012, when after a trip home from power cruise resulted in a very blown up auto and me stuck in 3rd gear limping home, by this stage you can imagine my frustration with this car. But, this broken gearbox became the catalyst that would eventually result in "The Abomination" (as dubbed by SAU Qld) being built.

Within weeks I had decided I was through breaking Nissan products and thought I'd start trying to break a few bits of GM gear instead. So it was off to eBay where I sourced a vz ls1 (which proved more costly then first imagined) and a 4l60e auto gearbox to be transplanted into my unsuspecting r33:

*part two coming soon

Obviously step one was getting all the old Nissan stuff out and test fit up what the GM motor looked like in the nissan bay which ended up with the car looking something likeeeee this:

From there engine mounts were fabbed up and the trans tunnel lightly massaged to accommodate the 4Ls larger bell housing:

Not long after the radiator was fitted and the gearbox crossmember fabricated under the car, at this stage a 3inch single piece tail shaft was ordered and turned up within a few weeks:

Aparently I have no photos of the tail shaft but it looks like a tail shaft lol.

We ran into issues with the fly by wire throttle body and eventually decided to convert it back to a cable throttle from a vt which intern ment a swap over to a vt ecu, we had this sent off to vengeance performance for what is basically a bandaid mail order tune until enough cash is there for a head and cam swap (and a decent tune) but for what it is it goes well

A few weeks later the extractors were fabbed up as well as the rest of the system which consists of the headers into a y merge and then into a mandrel 3" system with a single four inch resonator and a 3" in twin 2 1/2 inch out rear muffler.

As the gear box has been manualised a B&M pro ratchet shifter was purchased and installed into the existing r33 centre console, again more "massaging" of the factory stuff and it fitted up without two many complaints

I know I've kinda crammed this all into a pretty short process but the general idea is there, the wiring was done by home grown kustoms in Toowoomba and as the car sits now is all mod plated up and ready to attack the mean streets of Toowoomba (as soon as I'm off these damn p plates)

Future plans:

*built 4l60e/th400
    *Porter heads
    *Largish cam (something in the 23X range) + required accessories
    *obviously a retune
    *3200 stall
    *racepak dash
    *New coil overs as the current ones are stuffed

... The list is really endless, ill keep this thread up to date with how the car progresses

[/quote]

Quick photo from the cruise the other day with some on lookers (the car stood out like canine testicles amongst all the other drab grey/white/black/marron cars)

I've been in contact with dan from option 1 today about getting a new set of rota grids and some BR BC coilovers.... Watch this space for fitment pics [/quote]

[quote name="Captain Natro" post="6819346" timestamp="1366201550"]
    Annnnnd they're here....

And coilovers are in, big thanks to Chris Dalton and Tom for the assistance

[/quote]

Rims are now BLARRRK as the metal lip looked shithouse lol

[/quote]

Painted and fitted these pertty suckers

i fitted my front camber arms yesterday and wound a bit of neg into it (moreso for looks lol)

Also had it out for qr happy laps today, and it went well for being what is essentially a stock motor. My battery clamp broke so I couldn't corner to hard also cooked my pissy Natro brakes and my rears tires are now catus :thumbsup:

*note shit house front fitment as my 30mm bolt ons rub to much, so I took them off and will purchase a set of 20mm[/quote]
    [quote name="Captain Natro" post="6865091" timestamp="1369459818"]
    Ok bit of an update, kinda:

*Stage three transgo shift kit has been ordered
    *3200 stall to suit my cam has been ordered through the converter shop in brissy
    *new tires will be purchased this arvo (only skinny ones as I need them before Monday and no one stocks big ones
    *had a talk to Jamie from Forced performance in Toowoomba and confirmed i will be getting a cam package (cam springs pushrods tune) through those guys as soon as the box is finished, ended up going a comp cam 232/234 112lsa lumpy stick and have had the converter built to suit this
    *car is booked in for Monday to begin the box overhaul

Also fitted yesterday:

Fitted this afternoon

*new rear tires (just pissy 235s)
    *new battery clamp
    *new earth cable
    *new brake pads[/quote][/quote]
    Last edited by Captain Natro; 14-08-2013, 10:54 AM.
    Owner of WTF-033 ie "That 33 with the V8"

Build Thread: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...n-V8-R33-Build

If in doubt: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...captain-natro/

Holly mother of god, just got this thing back with the 3200 stall, FUll manual valve body and first gear. All I can say is wow... A launch from 1st gear without and foot brake stall it just flashes up and goes limiter in first and then limiter in second as it lays about 80m of black lines, I'm in shock, i love it.

These poor 235s just arnt up to the task anymore, and I may have to source some better tires for the drag day as these may aswell be plastic.

Big thanks to Trevor from A&T autos in toowoomba, great company to deal with and would recommend them to anyone chasing trans stuff in the area.

Tomorrow is my last day on my p plates, so keen to get rid of them an unleash "The Abomination" on the streets :devil:

Comment

So hit up the drags a few weeks back absolute waste of time going down with those tires. As Noel (#Fineline) put it "I've seen better grip from an iceskater".

Ended up going 13.9 @ 104mph, that was baking first and second then getting off the throttle and onto the brakes then back on the throttle.

Like I said waste of time, ill go back with a set of racing tires and aim for some decent numbers.

Much MUCH better times to come, watch this space

Comment

Sad day

But,had it fixed in no time , Had to attack the reo bar with a hammer and a grinder but she's all good....

Comment

Pretty cool build, was there much weight difference from the rb25 to the ls1?

Comment

Originally posted by Thom View Post
            Pretty cool build, was there much weight difference from the rb25 to the ls1?
            LS1 is lighter but not buy a lot...
            [ officially not an S-Chassis owner for the first time in 12 years - feel like a meth head with no crack ]

ArkLaTex Drift on mightycarmods click here!!!

[WARNING] Bogan Aussie Content Inside [WARNING]
            this is what i have to post about in between building weapon s13's

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtis View Post
              LS1 is lighter but not buy a lot...
              Exactly kurtis, from memory I believe the ls1 is ~20kgs lighter than the old rb motor

Couple more photos from my drag day with sau (ie slippery skid fest lol)

Comment

ya, iv picked up both hahas, and yea 20kgs sounds about right, picked up an rb30e only a couple weeks back those pricks are dirty as well >.<
                [ officially not an S-Chassis owner for the first time in 12 years - feel like a meth head with no crack ]

ArkLaTex Drift on mightycarmods click here!!!

[WARNING] Bogan Aussie Content Inside [WARNING]
                this is what i have to post about in between building weapon s13's

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtis View Post
                  ya, iv picked up both hahas, and yea 20kgs sounds about right, picked up an rb30e only a couple weeks back those pricks are dirty as well >.<
                  Yep the old dirty 30 and most RBs in general are looking worse for wear by this stage in there life, through general wear and tear and sheer age.

When I blew my first one up it had 204000 on it and the cam covers were full of gunk after I removed them

Comment

I'm usually not a fan of V8 Jap/swapped cars, but this one is nice! I'm torn!
                    "Front wheel drive can drift-not-really-just-does-hand-brakies-around-corners."
                    sigpic

Originally posted by phoenx
                    what if there was a newspaper for this thread? it would be the STD, social thread daily...

Comment

It's sucks an abomination.. I love it! Makes a crappy car bearable awesome work mate!
                      sigpic
                      Disclaimer: anything I say in social thread may be false information, any comments believed show signs of your astounding intelligence.

Organizer for MCM/Rexnet/OzFoz/AMC/JC Cruises & Meet Ups in the Canberra region :3

Comment

That's no abomination...this is one interesting R33! Great work mate!

Comment

Thats so epic dude... I love the GTT rear wing but with the normal front bumper I wanna do it to my car.

You said that the RB25 Auto was a type S? my cars rb25 2door with a auto
                          Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys glad most of you like the car (much more stuff to come)

#ninjastyle013

Type S refers to the options on it, they are non turbo rb25s have the re5r01a as opposed to the re4r01a gearbox (not an upgrade at all the boxes are shit), rear wiper blade (woohoo), and the gtst viscous LSD diff.

Comment

Nothing makes me more sad than an LS swapped into a japanese car, let alone a Skyline. That said, the quality of this build is top notch and its a very nice car. It may not be my personal style, but I have a lot of respect for what you've turned it into. Keep the updates coming!
                              2013 Nissan GTR - Tanabe Medalion exhaust, Ultimate Racing catless non-resonated mid-pipe
                              2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 -Daily car - Random little mods
                              My Members Rides thread with more pics
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X