Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1984 Nissan Pulsar N12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1984 Nissan Pulsar N12

Hello everybody!

This is my car, a ~95 percent restored 1984 Nissan Pulsar N12 (also known as Cherry in Europe) with a Nissan E15S 1.5-liter carburetor engine. Got it from my father in 2002 when I started taking driving lessons. It used to be his daily driver, the odometer readout was 329000 kilometers at the time I got it from him. After a couple of years, it was so rusty that I started thinking about either scrapping it or restoring it. I stumbled upon the Australian N12Turbo forum (forum.n12turbo.com), and got inspiration to restore my car. I found a local guy living close to my parents who was willing to take on the restoration project, at a very reasonable price. The restoration started in April 2007 (385000 km on the odo) and lasted until February 2010, the project turned out to be quite an undertaking! In the process, the engine was replaced by a lower-mileage E15S engine (205000 km) from the junkyard because the original Nissan E15S engine needed a rebuild, including the gearbox. I kept the original engine for a turbo conversion project instead. More about that later in this post.

Exterior photos:

Interior photos:

The gauges are: oil pressure, water temperature, battery volt meter. No 52-mm clock or fake gauges here, all of them are connected and do work properly! I replaced the original blue-gray interior with a gray/black one in 2006, and during the body restoration I got my hands on a set of Turbo/SGL seats. Those sport seats don't come factory equipped with seat heaters so I took out the heater elements from my original seats and installed them into the sport seats. Had to use the sewing machine to be able to install the seat heaters because the seams on the seat and backrest unfortunately didn't match up with the seat heater elements. The seats will need a new set of upholstery later, especially the driver's seat.

Engine bay:

(sorry for the dirty engine bay, I forgot to take a photo of it while I was taking photos of the car a couple of days ago so this photo is from April)

Current odometer reading:

During the restoration, I started another project for this car: a factory-spec EFI Turbo engine conversion (Nissan E15ET) from bits and pieces, based on the original engine which will be rebuilt. This project includes replacing the gearbox, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifolds, the fuel tank, the loom, installing the factory Nissan E15ET ECU (carb engines obviously don't have an ECU), replacing the pistons for E15ET ones, replacing the piston rods for E15ET ones (they are shorter, and the E16 carb engine happens to have the same rods) to lower the compression (IIRC the factory compression for the E15ET engine is 7.4:1), etc. etc. I haven't quite managed to collect all the necessary parts yet, but it's getting there.

Factory specs for the E15ET:
    Power output: 85 kW @ 5600 RPM
    Peak torque: 157 Nm @ 3200 RPM

The original E15S specs:
    Power output: 55 kW @ 5600 RPM
    Peak torque: 121 Nm @ 2800 RPM

Some photos of the project engine (the parts are dummyfitted, the engine still needs an E15ET flywheel and gearbox, a full set of gaskets and an engine rebuild):

3 ECUs, AFM, injectors, and other E15ET parts from Australia:

E15ET (E16) Piston rods (none of them are bent even though a couple of pistons were badly damaged, I may have destroyed the pistons when I forced them out of an engine block at the junkyard in the middle of the winter):

Well, that's about it! For more info, check out my website at http://turbozdude.net46.net!
    Last edited by TurboZ_Dude; 28-10-2011, 07:57 PM.
    in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! - Ash @ N12turbo forums

400,000 k's and I feel fine! (have you guys seen the movie 'Space Cowboys'?)
    in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! - Ash @ N12turbo forums

Comment

Very cool man! Car looks nice and clean. Love the interior.
      CELTIC FOOTBALL CLUB

TIOCFAIDH AR LA

Comment

Thanks man! It was quite a bit of work to swap out the interior but I think it was worth it!

Here's a photo of the interior before I replaced the gray/black seats (don't have a photo of the original blue-gray interior, sorry!):

Ha, found a photo where you can see a glimpse of the original interior!

As you can see, the car used to be metallic blue. I didn't like the original color because it hides dirt and in many conditions the color works like a natural disguise (which isn't good for traffic safety).
        Last edited by TurboZ_Dude; 28-10-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Nice little Pulsar! Looks like it can be thrown into corners and still hang on. Good luck with the turbo conversion, should go well.

Comment

car looks good. hate the colour tho. are u going to mod it to be like pulsar et?
            sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

nice little pulsar had no clue that n12pulsar even existed until now ...lolz i thought the first pulsar where da n13s

Comment

you should look at a n10 then
                sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

Originally posted by MR. NXR View Post
                  you should look at a n10 then
                  well i have had my mind blown twice 2day.... lolz

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yes Onikage, this Pulsar handles pretty well! For higher speed handling, it definitely needs a rear sway bar. So I'm planning to get one.

Yes Mr. NXR, that's the main idea, including front spoiler and the 14 inch wheels, front corner lights, as well as interior components (since mine is LHD, I need some dashboard parts from a LHD Pulsar Turbo). Won't do the ET rear spoiler though, because I want to keep the black bar above the tail lights as well as the pulsar badge(s). I'll probably use a European N12 aftermarket spoiler.

Well, color is in the eye of the beholder. I want it to stand out from the crowd of 'invisible' cars. I don't mean to be a ricer though, showoffing isn't my cup of tea even though I have a bright-colored car with a cannon muffler.

Comment

I think it would look good without the spoiler. Something different
                      sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

That's a possibility too.

This is the spoiler I had in mind:

Comment

You would be better off with a fin out spoiler. Cant think of the time all the Mitsubishi cordia turbos had them. Looked hot on a hatch
                          sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

I had a look at a couple of Cordia photos, and came to think of this N12 spoiler:

I don't know if the side bits of the spoiler can be left out, it does look like they are separate pieces though.

Something like that?
                            Last edited by TurboZ_Dude; 29-10-2011, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Yeah that way u get to see the badges but also have a nice little spoiler
                              sigpic

BY NDH 795

Comment

Working...
                              X