Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driven Daily Datsun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed! Keep it up!
    sigpic
    My project at the moment! The E34: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ips-E34-build!

Comment

Week07 is live!

Comment

very cool // alot of work, this would of done my head in, smashing it out like this

Comment

There have definitely been a challenge, there's no doubt about that.

Comment

Well, the s30 definitely won't be ready for the first hillclimb event (Ascutney) but we've been making brisk progress on it lately. This weekend we changed gears a little, and put some time into the race hauler instead of the race car.

I had made the mistake of ordering a gasoline filler neck for it a few months ago, which doesn't accept the larger diesel fillers (I didn't know this until I stopped for a fillup). It's still held up by a bungee cord, but at least I don't have to remove the filler from the tube every time I want to fill the tank any more.

Up next: The coolant system had a slow leak for awhile, but it recently became critical (which is why I parked it). We spent some time isolating the source of the leak, finding the right(ish) replacement hose, and breaking our fingers to get them to fit in place.

Then we turned our attention to the interior. Ugh. Just ... It was disgusting. This used to be a roofing truck, so there's tar everywhere on it. Seats, in the box, all over the dash, steering wheel ... everywhere. The floor had some housing carpet pad with vinyl on top, and wasn't sealed. Everything smelled of mildew and sadness, and the whole truck just felt soggy. After tearing out the flooring, we found enough dirt to plant a garden. It may have been growing, for all I know. That channel above the rockers had around 6" of packed-in mud.

After a lot of cleaning, wire wheeling, and some phosphoric acid, we threw a bit of primer & paint at it.

I haven't decided what kind of long-term coating to put on it yet. I have a bunch of POR15 left over, but I don't know how well it'll hold up to this kind of environment. I'm open to any suggestions you folks might have. Everything's reassembled right now, and the next project will be finishing up the box itself (hopefully this week).

Comment

We've been hard at work getting ready for 2018. The Datsun needed the rear wheel centerline moved back 4" in order to clear the main hoop position. I finally made time to mock up where everything should sit, and finish the rear quarter panel profiles. I think it still looks like a 'natural' location for the rear wheel.

This gives me around 6" of ground clearance with the suspension preloaded, which is perfectly acceptable in my mind. Using 300lb/in springs, that would give me 1500lb of load before things start to go a little wonky. With the pushrod setup that I'm planning on, I can tune it to dynamically increase spring rate toward the 'compressed' end of the cam travel too.

The cardboard template is reversible, so I can accurately reproduce the profile on the opposite side ... but I may modify the overall shape a bit before pulling a mold.

This configuration puts the fender line quite a bit higher on the body, and I have the option to move it higher or lower if I don't like the way everything sits when finished.

I'm putting off welding the rear suspension in until I have better calculations on what the static ride height needs to be with the stock control arm geometry. I'm probably going to have to move the subframe up a bit in order to keep the ground clearance I talked about earlier, and I can just chop off the OEM front mounts and weld it directly to the X brace if that's the case. It's good to be working on this again.

Comment

More video? Is that what you guys want?

Last edited by drivendaily; 21-12-2017, 05:37 AM. Reason: the editor munged the video source

Comment

Love both, good stuff man
                  Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
                  Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
                  Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

Sorry I haven't been posting on forums lately. Another episode is live for those who are following, and I've been working on the race support vehicle lately.

The new cabin dome light negates the need for headlights

... but the headlights have been significantly upgraded anyway.

We built new swinging doors for the rear to replace the overhead garage-style door, and that meant that we could throw the overhead door tracks and plywood sides away. It's starting to look less like a murdervan back there now.

This weekend, we should have a bit more news on the Datsun, and probably another update on the race support vehicle status. What are you folks more interested in seeing progress on?

Comment

I replaced the main under-hood battery, and decided to use the old battery as a second auxiliary battery. I welded together a double-battery holder for group 65 size batteries that can live under the box for race events. This is it around halfway done (I'll have to post another of it finished later).

It should be quite an upgrade as compared to the OEM aux battery holder.

Comment

The rear subframe is crudely jigged together, and should be ready to rock in the morning. Centering it, defining my ride height, and setting the pitch required a lot of braining.

Based on the measurements from a friend, the LCA should be at a ~14 degree layback. I'm at 13.75 degrees on both sides, and have decided to call that good. At some point, I'm going to move the arm pickup points anyway, so this'll have to do to get me started.

Comment

I spent some more time working on my box truck today, and removed the remaining murderwall plywood then reorganized, straightened, and bolted down everything else back there. The etrack on the floor will probably end up on my trailer, but it could make its way to the walls after I've insulated and recovered them. We'll see how it plays out, but either way I love that stuff.

The driver's seat is finally getting replaced. I don't know if I already mentioned it, but the roofing tar in this thing got EVERYWHERE. The seat was disgusting. My favorite caption I've seen so far:

Driver's seat before and after blowing a brake line.

Comment

Looks so good man. Getting there!
                            Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
                            Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
                            Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

I like the lights in the box roof. Right now, there are 21ft of LED strip in there, of which around 15ft still work after being abused quite a bit. I had always planned to update the wiring for them when I removed the plywood on the walls, so I only did a temporary zip-tie installation. Instead of updating this installation, I thought I'd go for something a bit more modular ... and add a bit more lighting as well.
                              Fast-forward a bit of measurement and math, and I've spent around $50 buying lighting replacements. The end result is 10 1meter strips that fit together pretty much perfectly. The aluminum channel acts as a basic heatsink, the lights are insulated from shorting out on it, and the light is diffused (not a lot, but it's enough). The aluminum channel makes them rigid enough that they could easily be moved and installed elsewhere at an event.

I still need to consider how I want to mount them to the roof spars (ideally to the canopy, on jackstands, etc as well), and solder on the XT-60 connectors I've standardized on ... but this represents a serious lighting upgrade.

To support that upgrade, I've added another group65 battery to the box truck. Each group65 battery is rated for 85aH, so that's around 2000 watt-hours (not counting the box truck primary battery or generator for recharging). With all of these lights running at the same time, they draw a little under 200w ... giving me around 10 hours of continuous use. I'm definitely planning to run some other accessories on these, so the generator is still a must-have, but that's pretty promising.

Comment

Working...
                              X