Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Build] Trackday/Weekend car: Citro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Build] Trackday/Weekend car: Citro

This project started out back in 2015 when I was donated a car for free, under the single condition that I wouldn't scrap it (for parts). I already had a daily driver, and experienced that there were a lot of mods I couldn't do to my daily because I needed it every day. So I decided I could use the new, second car to do every single mod my heart desired, as long as it would remain road legal.

The new car sitting next to my (pretty heavily modded) daily driver.

Then I bought a donor car for the engine, I decided to swap the TU1M 1100CC 60 hp engine to a TU5J4 1589CC "120" hp engine.
    I put the HP figure in quotes because its a known fact that most examples of this engine make between 125 and 135 hp, or about 120 hp at the wheels instead of at the crank.
    Either way, a decent upgrade (100% more power than stock)

I rented a garage to do the work in, and out come the tools.

The empty shell of the donor car went off to the scrap.

I upgraded the control arms, struts, brakes (rear disk conversion too)

Welded in some small rust repairs

Upgraded the cooling system

Upgraded the exhaust with a nice Remus muffler and 2" ID pipe, as well as a nice stainless 4-2-1 manifold

Bought a roll cage, bucket seats, and gave it a splash of paint

Bought some nice R-comp tires for on the track.

Never got around to fitting them to the car, they're still new and unused in my garage at this moment.

And then I took it out for the second time in a year, to a car meet. On the way home, some idiot completely f*cked it with his SUV, wasn't looking where he was going and accelerated full blast into me in a slow moving traffic jam.

And that was pretty much the end of version 1 of this car.

I was, from the little driving that I got in it, very pleased by how it felt to drive, so I immediately set out to re-do the project. I bought a replacement shell, and started installing all the parts and mods onto it, and I'm documenting the build progress on that one with video's, which I'll post next.
    Modifying is a lifestyle!
    Originally posted by milkchicken
    Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Version two of this build started out with this car:

Wonderfully full of dents, rust and terrible maintenance, but I don't care, I can fix it, or so I thought.
    Lets see what happens next in my youtube build logs. Click the images to go to the youtube video's, the forum doesn't want to embed them directly right now.

Episode 1: walkaround

Episode 2: taking it apart

Episode 3: wiring and welding

Fall update

Episode 4: Suspension and brakes

Next up will be an episode about the engine and drivetrain, when I get over my cold and do the voiceovers.

And please excuse the terrible audio in the first few episodes, it does get better (I'm working on it, finally have an external mic now.)
    Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

Happy to see you reshelled it

Comment

Nice vids man, never seen anyone make a track car from one of those. Pretty cool

Comment

The forum can't take the 'e' from Citroen (with the dots on them) it just cuts off the text which comes after that.

Comment

So it seems. I can't edit it though.

Comment

Next episode will be up soon, as I just finished paint on a rather large rust repair. Trying to get the car back on the road soon.

Comment

Next episode is up, repairing more rust on the car.

In a few weeks I'm planning another one about getting it back on the road (doing the last few bits like fitting a radiator, filling the fluids and getting it inspected (APK and engine swap.)

Comment

Working...
                X