Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unnecessarily long story of my -63 Oldsmobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnecessarily long story of my -63 Oldsmobile

The story of this car starts actually with this car.

I spent way too much money and time on that car. It was all that I could ask for, fast, loud, looks ****ing mean and does great burnouts!
    Still on one summer evening when we was just cruising around with my friend's 68 Charger, I realized how slow my own car actually was, when my friend floored that charger with ~500hp 440. I knew at that moment, that I will sell my car, no doubt. Also something what I decided that moment; When I next time build a car to be fast, loud and all that, it will be all or nothing. And I can promise that I will already have some plans for that go big or go home project.

Anyway, I decided to sold that car and I was looking cars from internet. I wanted an old classic car, but soon I noticed that there is one big problem... I didn't actually have much cash, because all my money was in that car i'm trying to sell and it is too expensive to be just a "typical american stw" and because of that it was difficult to sell. At the same time there was this 63 odls for sale and I kept thinking that he doesn't want to swap cars, or I need to pay ridiculous amounts of money + give my car in exchange. Eventually I asked from that seller that would he like to swap cars, and actually he was looking for a car that was something like mine, so he said yes.

I had just bought my first classic car!

1990 Chevrolet Chevy van G20

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

So this is 1963 Oldsmobile Super 88 4d ht, it has 394cid Sky Rocket engine, also nice bonus feature is that it has "ultra high comperssion" model, which was only awailable in 63 for these. It has 10.5:1 comperssion ratio and it makes 345hp from factory.

I didn't drive more than little over one month with this car before winter, and next summer I started this project which seems to take forever to finish. At the moment it sits in my garage, and is quite a sad sight. When I started this project, it was meant to be quick fix, just few rust repair and done. But no, it had little bit more rust than I was hoping for, which was nicely hidden under glass fiber and body filler. I was so pissed when I removed glass fiber - bondo mixture lump size of a ****ing tennis ball from a rust hole. All that work to just hide a ****ing rust. I took few beers and sat in the shadow right next to that car and started to think what the **** will I do with it. This is how that creative thinking session ended.

At that time it was sitting in my dad's work place where I was able to work on it few times a week.
    I started rust repairs and for example this whole yellow-ish part had to be made, because there wasn't original metal left.

Here is trunk lid welded.

And doors got patches too.

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Also I removed cylinder heads to see what it looks like inside the engine, it was fine. One head gasket had minor leak, so it wasn't all just for nothing.

And then I heard that I have to get that car out of my dad's work place so I started to look for a garage.
      Eventually I found one, it is not much but it's something. Me and my few friends rented it and this far it has been good decision.

And time to get my shit to my garage!
      (one of my el caminos)

And ofc there is place where to sit and get great ideas!

And finally it was time to get my Olds there also.

As you may notice, it doesn't have any paint. I did that before I had to take it to my own garage.

Also at this point I bought used front fenders from U.S, original ones was so rusty that when I welded those they bent because of the stupid amount of welds and I'm kinda perfectionist, so I couldn't use those. I just cant find any picture of those "new" fenders at the moment.

I also bought shiny NOS parts from states!

And one pair of curb feelers + Oldsmobile T-shirts from American Car Show

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Sadly I haven't done anything for this car in long time, because I got distracted by these great ideas to buy few El caminos and build one engine and do a engine swap then. Also other events in my life have happend that took my time and motivation away from this car. But I will get it ready eventually. It ain't going nowhere.

Few pictures of these distractions.

Take the old one out

buy a "new" one which is cheap and "it was running good when it was removed from whatever car it was in"

clean it, paint it and replace 95% of the parts. Then assemble it.

put new one in

Tadaaaa

And in the meantime buy Elcos

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Continue the olds project.

Comment

Little update here.

Progress is painfully slow because most of the parts I need are really hard to find or costs way too much. Now I got most parts what I need to put that engine back together and after that it only needs little bit more sanding and few rust fixes. It just takes forever to get parts or just to find parts, so we can't expect another update anytime soon.

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Working...
            X