Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1967 Ford 17M P5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 Ford 17M P5

Specs:
    -2.0L Cologne V6 (Two barrel carb)
    -Merc w123 Radiator
    -Seatbelt delete
    -10 inch brakes
    -GT radial tires
    Last edited by BlueSedan; 22-09-2017, 12:31 AM.
    Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Driving video. Well more of a shifting video but basically shows you an inside view of driving one.

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Comment

Brake job:

The brake pedal was feeling spongy and you had to pump it for it to work.. So on i went inspecting it.
      First i thought that the 50 year old brake master cylinder was at fault because those O rings do get shitty after all that time.. So i opened it up and changed the O rings.
      Sadly i don't have pictures of this job..

Then the problem still continued. So after a while of pumping and airing out the brakes, the rear brake drum cylinder was pissing itself..
      So i inspected it and found that the rubber around the piston is shot.

So a new part was bought:

I took the old one off and man was it stuck there.. I had to hammer it out. But here's the results:

On the process of removing it, OFFCOURSE THE BRAKE LINE SNAPPED:

On with the installation of the new one.. But this time i made sure it won't get stuck to the backing plate. So i put some copper paste on the new cylinder:

After installing the new brake line because there thankfully was a T fitting so it was a 1 meter long line. Installation was easy. Just needed to take the nut off with vice grips. But the threads were okay:

And here it is. Brand new brake cylinder installed.. Now i know that the tensioner spring is upside down. I changed it after i took the picture once i realised it was upside down.

It's a one beer job so changing both will take you two beers.

It's fairly simple and easy though.. You just need basic hand tools to do this job. I advice everyone who has a wire wheel and a drill or an angle grinder to grind the brake drums and paint them. They'll look nice under the wheels and it's not a big hassle to do.. Just remember to clean the inside thoroughly.

Comment

Tach installed.

Comment

Simple battery tray restoration:

This is what was under my battery:

After a while of wire wheeling and sanding:

Some ferrex anti rust paint:

Spray painting some flat black to tidy things up:

After it dried up, the paints mixed a little bit with eachother. The rust protection is done and it's heaps better than it used to be.

It's one of those "i have too much free time" projects.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post

-Seatbelt delete
            You are not allowed to remove original seatbelts from that car. Seatbelts in front came mandatory in 1971, but if you have older car with seatbelts, you are not allowed to remove those.
            1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by SBC View Post

You are not allowed to remove original seatbelts from that car. Seatbelts in front came mandatory in 1971, but if you have older car with seatbelts, you are not allowed to remove those.
              Asked the MOT guys. (katsastus) and they asked their supervisor. After a while of checking the law books. They said that i can in fact remove the seatbelts since the car is older than -71.
              And in this case the car did not come with seatbelts from the facotry original as they were just an option to buy with extra money.

I don't remember exactly how but there was a loop hole of some kind.
              Last edited by BlueSedan; 24-01-2017, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Carb rebuild:

So the carb was leaking in the side so i thought it was time for a rebuild.

Okay now that it's taken off, lets start to disassemble it:

Old vs new:

All tools needed:

Throttle plate before and after:

Top half:

Thermostatic choke:

After cleanup and assembly:

And installed back:

While i was doing this carb project, i also changed the rocker cover gaskets.. Didn't have time to paint the rockercovers:

Yeah that's an external oil feed tube and the spring in the middle splashes and distributes the oil around:

Those were added for extra oil distribution and better cooling i believe. Could be wrong though. These were a thing back in the day.

Pictures might be in the wrong order as before the goat ate the servers.

Comment

Radiator upgrade:

So this thing came in the mail:

Time to take the old leaky copper radiator out and replace it with the new modern state of the art plastic + aluminium radiator that was originally meant to be a radiator for the mercedes W123.

Look ma no radiator:

And here's the leaky old radiator:

Alright here's the engine without the radiator.. Look how roomy the enginebay is.

Here's the fitment of the new one:

It looks pretty high but it doesn't hit the hood:

Shiny:

Cooling has improved a lot. Even though there is no fan scoop anymore.

Comment

This makes me want to go out and buy and old car and make it shiny, only problems are money, time, no tools, etc
                    But thats why I'm on here!

Comment

Originally posted by dougherty907 View Post
                      This makes me want to go out and buy and old car and make it shiny, only problems are money, time, no tools, etc
                      But thats why I'm on here!
                      Find a nugget and polish it.
                      Finds like this ford are rare. Low mileage and all original.. I kind of ruined it by "modernizing" it. But all my mods are easy to remove and revert back to stock.

Comment

Theres just something satisfying about shiny parts on old cars

Comment

Update:

Took a look at the tie rod end that the inspector guy told me that it's broken.. It has 1cm long travel and a massive clunk so yeah it's broken alright.

Pics:

27euros for TWO new ones including postage.

The hard part is breaking the old ones loose.
                          Also this car needs special "rally spec" alignment done since your normal setup doesn't work with these.
                          Thank god i have the original manual that tells me the proper alignment settings so i can just tell the shop the proper specs.

This car needs a little bit of toe in to prevent tire wear.
                          Last edited by BlueSedan; 31-01-2017, 10:24 PM.

Comment

UPDATE!

Guess what came in the mail:

But no grease fitting.. The condom is on by a weird brown rubberband that's rock solid.. I can't open it without breaking it.. So i need to get a syringe to push some bearing grease inside trough the top.. Then i'll tighten the top part with some iron wire to make sure no moisture goes in..
                            These have some grease inside but the box says it's probably older than 10 years so i don't trust a decade old grease sitting there going bad.. So i'll just add till it's full.

What does MCM think? Not a bad score eh?

Comment

UPDATE!:

Ball joint got replaced.

First. the castle nut pin was rusted tight so the only way to get it off was to just break it with a hammer from both ends and overtorque the castlenut with a long extension breaker bar.. SNAP it went off..
                              Then i let the castle nut stay there while i bashed it with a hammer.. No dice.. Then i tried to bash the ball joint end with a hammer and no dice again.. So the only thing i could do is to go to biltema and buy a ball joint extractor tool:

After i torgued it down and bashed it with a hammer, a very loud snap and the thing fell off..
                              NICE!

Okay next problem.. The ball joint was in a tube that had a clamp on it.. The ball joint wouldn't twist off.. Even after using pipe wrenches and a hammer, it wouldn't come off.. I tried soaking it overnight with WD-40 and no dice.. So off to the hardware store to buy a 1200celcius butane blowtorch.. Heated it red hot and with a snap, it started to come loose.. After spinning it back and fourth, i broke the rust free and got it off.. it was 26 turns in... Then i took the new ball joint and wet the threads with wd-40 and spun it in.. 26 turns.. The last 5 turns were super tight with a pipe wrench but i got it in.. Then i fished the ball joint to the wheel hub thing and put on the nut.. But when i tried to tighten it, the ball joint would just spin in place.. I tried crimping it with a locking pliers, no dice.. So i took a air ratchet gun and blasted at it.. After a while, it started to work and i got the ***** in.. Then i tightened the clamp around the tube and boom it works..

Measured the alligment and it's pretty much identical to the left side.

PICS:

Old vs new:

The old one had lots of play on it..

This blowtorch.. YOU DA REAL MVP!

Getting ready for summer.. Only need to plug the exhaust leak and i'm all set..
                              It's the 50th anniversary of this car so it's currently 50 years old.. Gonna drive it a lot this summer and give it some love and care. Maybe even new door gaskets for that lovely "thump" sound these old german cars have.

Comment

Working...
                              X