Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James' Daihatsu Cuore "SKD555"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 2016: Gave the cars a quick clean and went for some photos

Caught in the moving act by my mate

Also makes for a great iPhone wallpaper

Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
    Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
    Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

What camera are these photos taken with? They look really clear and professional.
      https://forums.mightycarmods.com/filedata/fetch?filedataid=23958

Comment

Originally posted by Burger View Post
        What camera are these photos taken with? They look really clear and professional.
        Thanks man, anything pre 2016 was a Canon 5D Mark III and anything after is my current Canon 1D-X Mark II.

Comment

This will be the start of something I know is going to be epic. Its just to throw a turbo on this bad boy. It will be no easy task but with a HUGE thanks to Jenga it will be a little easier. Basically I purchased everything that wasnt brought over when he converted from the 3 cylinder EJ-DE to the 4 cylinder K3-VET.

This includes:

Turbo - Garret T25, this Nissan 300ZX factory is basically brand new
          Manifold - Custom 3-1 turbo manifold
          Exhaust - Custom Dump into Cat
          Clutch - Custom Exedy brass button clutch
          Flywheel - OEM unit, needs machine
          ECU - Megasquirt II with custom PCB and pinout

Time to get picture heavy.

Lets start with the turbo

A custom adapter was made to make the mount a bit easier

Custom made 3-1 manifold and dump pipe with

Custom Exedy brass button clutch and pressure plate

OEM flywheel, it will need a machine. Never held a flywheel before but holy shit this particular one is a HEAVY basted.

Lastly, my biggest reason for going this route. The car was always going to need an aftermarket ECU. Something like a Haltech was what first came to mind but after truely striking luck and finding all of this from Jenga, Ive now got the custom Megasquirt II that has been made to be a true plug and play system. No filling with repining or new harnesses. One or two things will need to be changed, like the factory O2 sensor will be replaced with a wideband but other then that plug and play, its even got a map on it for all the parts I will be using.

This is the actual ECU

This is unit that basically converts the factory Cuore loom into the one that the Megasquirt II uses. The was designed and is completely custom.

So overall, Im pretty damn chuffed, but this is only the beginning, there is so much still to buy and make, but over the next few months itll all happen! Manual conversion should be happening in the next couple of weeks which means I can at least put this clutch in the car and get used to it, apparently its pretty aggressive.
          Last edited by applegeek897; 26-02-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by applegeek897 View Post

Thanks man, anything pre 2016 was a Canon 5D Mark III and anything after is my current Canon 1D-X Mark II.
            Sounds like a good little setup.

Comment

Also, is "SKD" meaning skid?

Comment

Originally posted by Burger View Post
                Also, is "SKD" meaning skid?
                Haha yeah man skd555 like skids. It's a bit of fun

Comment

I'm so jealous of Countries that get little cars. We don't even get the 3door Fiesta here in the States. The 5door is the most compact subcompact we can really get.

Comment

I'm glad to see all the turbo parts being put to good use in another car, enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
                      I'm glad to see all the turbo parts being put to good use in another car, enjoy it!
                      Thanks mate, long road ahead but it will be good! Subaru is hogging the wallet at the moment which isn't helping things haha

Comment

I decided to give the old girl some long overdue love, being a daily driving and sitting outside at the train station most of its time, if I even bother to wash it it just goes brown again instantly. Time to fix it, photo doesn't do it justice it was DIRTY!

I also had some other car wash that I won from awhile back, it was hard for me not to use my trusty Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, but hey can't hurt.

Sudsy goodness

Ah much better

Look at dat reflection

But it isn't good enough, time for some Ultimate Wax

Oh yes, now that's a shine, pitty it really shows the dents haha.

I've never noticed how different the colour was on the front bar, must have been redone in its life, oh well new front bumper will be going on soon

Damn she looks good!

Comment

Something I've been wanting to do for some time now, is basically convert the Cuore a Handi, for those who don't know, a version of the Daihatsu Cuore / Mira called the Handi, a two seater version with the back seats replaced with cargo area. Basically making the car like a mini van, similar to what Mary and Moog did to their show car.

Time for these to go.

Things had certainly gotten messy back here.

The barley connect 6x9's and parcel-shelf came out.

Followed by the sub.

With all the to the side I could focus on getting the rear seats and material off, starting with the pesky switch that snapped off, nothing some pliers could help though.

Back section off.

It's amazing what you can find buried beneath everything.

With everything off, all the bolts were marked and bagged. Then it was time for a good clean, man it was dirty back there.

A vacuum helped things but even the top of the tailgate was filthy, a but-load of baby wipes later and things were much better.

After a quick trip to Bunnings Warehouse I grabbed two large pieces of 16mm think MDF, this way I knew it would be strong and the weight was probably the same as what's coming out anyway.

And thanks to a carpenter mate we began measuring everything out, it looks like we are going to run two pieces in the back so that it's easier to get to the spare wheel if need be, plus it makes it much easier to cut and carpet later.

Let the cutting begin.

All the basics were cut but time has run out today, the next step is to somewhat prototype a design to go around off the stuff in the boot, then work out a mounting system and once all that is done I can carpet it all and make it look like it was factory.

Last edited by applegeek897; 17-04-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I had a little bit of time tonight so I thought I would continue with the stripping of the back. So I started taking off these side panels.

They needed to come off so that I could completely remove and delete the rear seat belts, they are in the way and aren't needed anymore.

To the evil person who decided all cars need imperial bolts for seat bolts, even on a Japanese car with an entirely metric system, die sir, die. Anyway a quick trip to Bunnings and a 9/16 socket was acquired.

Side-panel and belt off for drivers side.

Despite I did this just to take the belts off I think I am actually going to leave them off and continue the MDF up the side, It could be a perfect place to put some nice 6x9 speakers on the side, almost like the spots were made for them.

Rinse and repeat for passenger side.

I love doing all of this, it's just a great excuse to clean everything and go over my poor decisions that have been done in the past, like the utter rubbish speaker wire going on in the back. This is a forever car, so I want to make sure everything is perfection. Laters old speaker wire.

Man, so bare in the back now haha. Lots to come but having it completely empty gives me a much better idea of what I want to do.

One thing after driving the car for a day, holy shit balls the NVH is shocking. In fairness everything has been ripped out and this was an extremely cheap car to buy new all those years ago. In saying that once everything is finalised, the car is going to get COVERED in Dynamat, the slight weight it will bring doesn't even bother me at all. Everything will likely also get carpeted and I might even add extra insulation, time will tell.

Comment

Wait, where is all the rust? Did those photos not upload?

... I'm so jealous it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by drivendaily View Post
                                Wait, where is all the rust? Did those photos not upload?

... I'm so jealous it hurts.
                                Haha I must say, I am a lucky man with this car, its interesting, it's whole life it lived on Coogee beach so I am semi surprised there isn't any.

Comment

Working...
                                X