Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James' Daihatsu Cuore "SKD555"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this absolute pile of shit, is finally going to be put to good use. It's been sitting in storage for well over two years, with the soul reason of stealing the manual gear box and everything else that goes with that. Nothing turbo related can happen on my car until this box goes in it. Time to take the finger out and do it so this car can be scrapped. Here she is in all it's turdness.

I want to make clear, these were not my design choices, but hey, 18 year old me loved it.

Anyway, car jacked up, time to remove stuff. I didnt have to be super careful as everything was junk and couldnt be used anyway. Air-box off.

Next up was the clutch linkage, cable clutch is so nice and simple.

Next thing was to remove the bottom mounts of the suspension, holding the hubs to the strut. This was I could remove the cv shafts from the box without having to take them off the hubs.

Pry-bar in and cvs popped out, surprised to see nothing actually holding it in on that side, interesting.

Yes we should have drained the box before, anyway. I was surprised to see it actually looked pretty healthy, no metallic bits. Smelt like arse though.

Shifter linkage was next to come out.

Bolts bagged and labeled, these wont be on the auto so cant loose these.

Once all the mains things were out it was time to begin removing all the bolts connecting the bell housing to the block, they were tricky.

Photos really help to keep track of everything.

There is still a bit to do but hopefully everything can get sorted tomorrow and we can have everything off and out. There will be a couple more things to grab off the car but then its finally going off to be scrapped.

Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
    Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
    Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

That's cool car man, i like it. How has the handi conversion ended? Thinking of doing the same with my little car. Good luck on the turbo, i'll be following that!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatouille View Post
        That's cool car man, i like it. How has the handi conversion ended? Thinking of doing the same with my little car. Good luck on the turbo, i'll be following that!
        Thanks man, yeah that kind of puts thing on hold, just waiting for a chance to do it really. I want to do it once and do it right.

Comment

So day two. After finding all the sneaky bolts holding the box on, including the dumb bolt near engine mount. Anyway, we managed to actually seperate the box from the block but there just wasn't room to completely get it out, damn. So we did what we should've done from the start, dropped the k-frame.

Yes expect sketchy as shit, I don't normally roll this way but the ONLY thing of value is the box, everything else was going in the bin.

So being fairly unprepared and tire would become to perfect k-frame stand...

And with that, it came away from the frame, finally, box out!

Sorry for the lack of photos but the anger levels were too high at that point. My mates face said it pretty well.

Would you look at that, box in a box.

The rest of the will be attacked tomorrow, where all the remaining bits will come off.

Comment

Well done sir!

Comment

Loving the "wrapped" hood on the parts Cuore
              Current car: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport 5-speed
              Project car: 2000 Honda Insight 5-speed "Clarence" (needs new shocks badly)

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatouille View Post
                Well done sir!
                Thank you kind sir.

Comment

Originally posted by qlmaX5 View Post
                  Loving the "wrapped" hood on the parts Cuore
                  Haha yeah man, one for the things that made me fall in love in the beginning, plus the inside is full of stickerbomb and blue neons haha.

Comment

I wish we got the cuore in Norway.. So cute!

Comment

nice work, just 1 silly question, where did you get the 3M for the weathersheilds? i got some stuff from supercheap, and the things came off, well, slid off the window, leaving a trail of sticky gum down my window..

Comment

Originally posted by jdmKei-i View Post
                        nice work, just 1 silly question, where did you get the 3M for the weathersheilds? i got some stuff from supercheap, and the things came off, well, slid off the window, leaving a trail of sticky gum down my window..
                        No problem man, just got it off eBay, it's pretty much the best place to get it in Australia, do yourself a favour though, get WAY more then you need, otherwise you'll be sorry.

Comment

September 2017: Once again, the car has been neglected mods wise. Its just too damn practice and awesome to be fiddled with, plus Ive been investing a huge amount of time and money into the Subaru recently, and because of that I kinda always need to Cuore to be working perfectly when I need to make part runs. BUT I SAY NO MORE. Im pretty happy with where the Subaru is at the moment and Ive decided that no more mods will be done for the rest of the year, all resources will now be spent on the Cuore. There is so much I want to do.

Something that did break a few months ago is the power windows, first the passenger side but most recently the drivers side. I was interested to see what the actual issue was.

And straight away, it was very clear.

Yeah not in good shape, oh well good riddance, time to go back to old school. switches and motors out.

Then all of the old wiring be ripped out.

Once that was done any old mounting hardware could be removed.

It was then a rinse and repeat affair for the other side, I completely forgot there was the central locking thing still in here, that also come off.

The rest of the loom could then be pulled through and removed.

And lastly the motor, nice and bare.

I just need to get some manual handles which Im pretty sure are in the parts car so that can be done at some point later in the week. Next up. One of the main things that I did on the Subaru was a full audio overhaul, which meant there was heaps of left over goodies that could be brought over for a nice upgrade over what is currently in the car.

I upgraded to a Sony CarPlay headunit in the Subaru which meant that the old Sony XAV701BT could be reused in the Cuore, this is going to be a HUGE upgrade compared to the current JVC KW-DB60AT.

While I was never a big fan of it, it will be a great addition to the Cuore. It got a but ton of inputs including mic for hands free and rear view camera, both things I will be implementing in time.

Also has two VERY long USB cables for what ever devices one could need, I wanna look into a clever way of mounting these but again that will come in time.

Im keen to get onto the headunit but Im waiting on a couple of things to get that going first, like a new harness and the reverse camera. But what I do have in the meantime is a shit tonne of sound deadener left over from the Subaru install, more then an entire bulk pack. This was great news and was really going to be put to good use.

Its no surprise to me that considering this was one of the cheapest new cars in the country at the time that things are really built to amazing standards and the car is far from being refined. Its never really bothered me but this was a good time to start fixing that.

While the door skins were off I thought that would be a good place to start., Before anything everything got a very good clean to ensure perfect adhesion.

The old, trusty but slightly rooted Kenwood DualMags came out, they really need to be replaced but will do again for now.

Its likely that Ill replace the fronts with a nice set of Morel Tempo Ultra 602 Integras, which Ive used for the rear of the Subaru, they are fairly decently priced and perform very well.

I started with the inner skin as this was where it really needed it the most, being such extremely thing sheet metal.

Moving onto the outer.

This panel cover thing also needed a healthy dose, it got it and made a world of difference.

With the sorted it was time to move to what has likely been the worst of all, the boot.

Alot of the problem came from this.

Before and after.

Then the res of the inner and outer could be done.

Man that made such a huge difference, I need to do something with the numberplate though, there is still just a touch of rattle in that area. Oh well, moving onto the second worst area. It was nice and ready to be using bigger cuts here.

Other side.

Thats it for today but man already. Such a huge difference, its like a new car. And there is still plenty to do.

Comment

November 2017: Once again not much has happened over the last couple of months. Somehow Ive been driving around with no door cards and lots of rattles without worry. Anyway time to fix that.

Finally moved onto attending to the passenger door.

This dumb thing also came off, only there to rattle.

Let the DS18 continue.

And more.

Much better. While I was also there I thought it a good time to get started on the boot area.

Still much to do but for another time. What I do want to do is get the door cards back on. I grabbed the two door cards off the parts car which to my surprise were actually in pretty good shape. But more importantly it didnt have holes in it.

Most of the clips were busted by using from both the new and old ones I managed to get a enough usable ones.

Lastly I trimmed the speaker grill so there was less chance of the speaker pushing the card out.

I also had to make a custom mount for the passenger card to keep the foam on.

After being dumb I fixed the inner handle mount.

And on, its a nice change for me. So happy to have the manual windows back.

Also my monster wang arrived and the excitement is real!

Comment

November 2017: I had some extra time today so I thought it a good time to finally get the new headunit in. Firstly the old one had to come out. The JVC has served very well over the years.

I was surprised with my wiring job all those years ago.

At the moment only the front speakers are being used, so any extra's could come out for now. All the bells and whistles are going to be added later on when the car gets an overhaul.

I struggled to find a harness for the Sony as the one from my Subaru was far gone, but I ended up locating one made up for a Toyota Hilux. No problem to slice into the factory one.

It could then be mounted up into the fasica and done.

Having the tilt function is actually very useful considering how low the headunit sits in the car. Nothing like a quality free upgrade.

Comment

All it needs a go faster stripe ha. Seriously though I'm amazed what you've done, can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Comment

Working...
                                X