Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James' Daihatsu Cuore "SKD555"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 2017: This always seems to happy to me, I want something and look everywhere for it, and I cant find anything for months and months. Then as soon as I give up, something amazing pops up out of nowhere and at an insanely good price. This is one of those situations. I've always been a fan of smaller wheels on a Cuore. Even 15's are too big in my opinion. I'd love to stay with 13's if I can but I can't put Copen brakes under them. So 14's was the only real option for me. Again out of nowhere these turned up. Genuine Work Mesiter S2R 14x5+35. These 4x100 beauties are actually made for a Kei is a super weak width which is exactly what I wanted. One day I'll go wide, but not yet.

So here they are.

The original centre caps that were chrome were painted a nice gloss black. Unfortunately there are only three. So I'll have to keep an eye out for another set.

The colour is amazing on these, freshly painted in Nissan R35 GTR gunmetal grey. The wheels were originally chrome and they look terrible. I've seen these wheels on other cars before and hated them but man in this colour in a satin finish they look amazing.

Theres a small amount of gutter rash on one of the wheels but no biggie. They also have brand new black 70 degree valves stems all round.

Small enough tyres are also never easy to find, at least for me. I was considering going for some Semi's but the car really is currently just a daily, maybe at another time. Tyres For Less in Fairfield luckily had just 4 155/55R14's left in stock.

Goodbye Supercheap Auto 13's, hello 14's. Quick test fit to see if they will even fit under the guards.

I never bother doing this before as I couldn't see them anyway but I was keen to paint the brakes quickly before the wheels actually went on for good.

They got a quick clean and a hit with some wax and grease remover.

Then masked up. I wasn't going to remove them for this job as they will be replaced anyway in a couple of months.

The paint could then begin.

Very happy with the result.

I couldn't use the original wheel nuts from the car as I needed inverted hex key style nuts, which again are harder to get the I would've thought. I grabbed steel ones off eBay which luckily came just before the weekend.

Then they could finally go on.

Sadly while putting the front wheels on I noticed both CV boots on either side were completely split all the way round, oh well next thing to do.

After the car got a well overdue clean it was time for some proper photos.

Lastly a big milestone for the car today.

Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
    Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
    Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

December 2017: So the time has come to throw the wing on. What I want to start with though, is I did a properly shit job mounting this. I was way to excited to get it on that I completely rushed the job. Also I left my camera at work so pardon the iPhone pictures. Anyway, lets get started.

Started with a bare surface, then applied tape to ruin the least amount of this poor tailgate.

Next up was getting the wire for the brake light through the wing, this took a good 45 minutes of faffing.

The wing has some threads in them, some M6 bolts with the ends cut off went in them so I could at-least line up the wing. My shit job at measuring didn't help this go to plan, I ended up just using the centre hole.

Then there was the stikaflex, I have never had an experience with this stuff, the one I bought was in concrete colour, of which I only realised after I started applying. Not to mention that I used wayy to much.

Heaps spilled out but I managed to get a good amount of it off. Although, over night it drooped a bit a lifted. The wing actually is moulded pretty well to the boot, not OEM like but yeah. For now its solid, it ain't going anywhere but I want to redo it correctly at some point in the next couple of months with a correct template. Better load up on the fishing line and caramel wheels.

I got bored tonight and went down the road for some more pictures, car is disgustingly dirty but its been raining and I'm not washing it yet.

Like I said, not the best. Its ok, live and learn.

I do love it though.

Comment

December 2017: With all the daily duties the car has been doing lately and the crazy amount of the rain the car has gone from a nice blue to a consistent brown colour. I thought I'd detail my normal washing procedure, mostly because I'm super board at the moment.

Anyway, it was properly dirty. I promise it was worse then it looks.

I've been using Super Syrups #CleanAs**** soap for awhile now, and man its amazing.

Shiny Shiny.

I've been using Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner and it's also flipping amazing.

I had a bunch of credit at Supercheap Auto so I grabbed a bunch of things I'd never tried before. Firstly was some RainX.

Applied with with firm pressure as required to a haze.

And buff off.

Next up was a go with Meguiars Quik Clay Kit.

Man I can't remember if I've done this before but damn, the paint was so contaminated. This was just after doing the bonnet. Super pink for some reason too.

After all that was all done it was another good chance to try something new. Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish wax.

The paint has never been in the perfect shape since the little old lady that owned it was probably using a $1.00 sponge and dish soap, but its damn good for an almost 20 year old car. Came about a bit better on camera but looked great in person and was uber quick to apply. Much faster then the normal liquid wax I normally use.

Tyre shine next, I've been using Meguiars Insane Shine for the better part of 4 years. I freaking love it.

This was at the counter for $3.00's so hey why not.

When brought me to the engine bay, man I never have to look under here as often as I do on my Subaru and I forget how dirty it is. Its on my list for next year for sure.

Anyway it went in.

Finally the interior could get a long overdue clean. Nothing special here just a basic vacuum, all it needs.

So dirty.

Ah so much better.

Of course to finish up we need some pictures to serve my boredom.

Comment

Dude, I thank you so much, I'm planning to buy a blue Daihatsu Cuore for my first car! I've been following you blog posts for a while now I forgot I bookmark'd this thread.
          All your photo's are in such high quality and detail that if I ever need to fix anything on that car or just cosmetic tuning I'll go back to this post!

I even use your Photos as background on my phone and laptop nowdays
          If there is anyway I can support or help you let me know!

Greetings,

-Maurice
          The Netherlands

(For some reason I have to upload a photo so here it is..)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Sirius View Post
            Dude, I thank you so much, I'm planning to buy a blue Daihatsu Cuore for my first car! I've been following you blog posts for a while now I forgot I bookmark'd this thread.
            All your photo's are in such high quality and detail that if I ever need to fix anything on that car or just cosmetic tuning I'll go back to this post!

I even use your Photos as background on my phone and laptop nowdays
            If there is anyway I can support or help you let me know!

Greetings,

-Maurice
            The Netherlands

(For some reason I have to upload a photo so here it is..)
            Shit man I don't know what to say. Thanks so much for that mate means alot. Its such a awesome car and will make the perfect first car. If you ever want higher resolution / better quality photos to the small ones here you can check them out on my flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

There are heaps more on there I don't post close to all of them on the forum.

Keep in touch mate.

Comment

January 2018: Nothing super special going on with the Cuore but after hitting 60K i realised I haven't serviced the car in more then a year and a half. Which for me is a long time. I'm normally anal on a 5,000km per service, but it was forgotten. Oh well. Up the car went.

Drain.

Despite hand tightening the oil filter the ruthless bastard didn't want to budge. I couldn't for the life of me find my small filter remover thanks to the Cuore's microscopic filter. The one I use for the Subaru was of-course wayy to big.

Then it was off to Supercheap Auto to by another one. I got the smallest they had and of course it was still to big...

After another trip to Supercheap Auto I got this type of one. Not a fan of the destruction nature of it but doesn't really matter in this case.

It then finally come off and a new one could go on.

Filter and oil wise Ryco and Nulon Fully-Synthetic 10W-40 has been doing perfect. I love how insanely cheap it is to service this car.

Comment

January 2018: I attended the MCM book signing and considering it was a celebration of the show I thought I had to bring the cuore.

Marty's Mira made an appearance too.

He's a happy man in his Mira.

They even got it and the Mini in the store, just.

At the end of the night we were blessed with an epic sunset.

Also made a new friend

Comment

Wheels look great man! I was thinking about getting them too, I like the tiny bit of dish they have compared to my Work cr kais. I almost bought the huge spoiler too, but I think I'll try a stock spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Foordy View Post
                    Wheels look great man! I was thinking about getting them too, I like the tiny bit of dish they have compared to my Work cr kais. I almost bought the huge spoiler too, but I think I'll try a stock spoiler
                    Don't man, your car is insane. So clean, which always wins!

Comment

Wow. I dont know how I missed your threads. They are awesome!
                      Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Wow. I dont know how I missed your threads. They are awesome!
                        Haha thanks man I love doing them, the documentation is like therapy for me.

Comment

I cant wait to get further on my build. Life took a big J turn recently with a purchase of a camera instead of a haltech. Also I will not be on the forum so much. Please reply to the new users for us.
                          Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

February 2018: This is something I've been looking for, for well over a year. Although this came out of nowhere. I usually check Pick N Payless once a week, mostly at the moment as I'm looking for Subaru related things but every now and again some Dai goodness pops up. This time it was a late model Sirion GTvi, which is good cause I'm been looking for one to steal the seats from ages.

Got the seats home to have a proper look, they were only $64 bucks, which is insane as these seem to usually fetch over $200 on the used market. Plus these are the later model with a darker centre in the trim, exactly what I was after.

While they are in good condition they were covered in dust, not uncommon in the wreckers where most of the cars have their windows left open.

Lots of muck but after a good clean and vacuum they are mostly back to former glory. I'll need to do a proper upholstery clean but that'll come at another time.

So happy to get the old ones out, the light grey was never my things and they were getting pretty festy.

Seats came out which is always a good time to do a quick clean. The old amp wiring is yet to completely come out as its stuck somewhere in the carpet. The entire carpet is going to come out later in the year for a big thing.

Bolt in is such a nice thing, passenger seat went in to get a 50 50, certainly a huge difference.

Then I threw the driver side in and quickly checked to see if the seat belt warning light would be working and then I saw it. Looks like the crash destroyed the inside of the belt clip.

Time to rob the one from the old seat.

Then I noticed the belt indicator had to now come through the seat, ugh.

I could then crack out the old imperial to pull the bolt off.

The horrible push pin connector fought me.

Ofcourse the connector was to big to come through and I had to disconnect the seat from the rail.

It was then I thought, ugh, the old rails are so ratty lets swap over the entire piece from the old seats to the new.

After the entire thing I wish I didn't it must have taken me an hour to completely remove and refit.

This fought me for a good 10 minutes.

The old stuff was so yuck but it all came off.

Finally back together.

Then finally in the car. All fixed and working perfectly. Man what a bargain. I love these.

Comment

February 2018: After a couple days of driving I'm so happy with the feel of the seats, I can actually stay in the seat which is a nice change.

I needed to finish the passenger seat belt as it seemed to have also been routed from the crash. Off it came.

Clear difference.

On and done.

While the vacuum did a decent job of getting loose dirt but I needed to attack the heavier dirt. Started with the passenger headrest.

Then the actual seat bottom could get a go.

The Meguiars Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner works wonders.

Comment

March 2018: The new seats have been amazing over the last few weeks. It's made such a big difference to the overall feel of the car.

I love adding new features to the car, specially if they are free. When upgrading the headunit in the Subaru, the Sony unit came with a microphone, thing is the Subaru already had one mounted and setup, that meant a freebie for the Cuore.

There were a few options for places to mount the mic but I thought the drivers side a-pillar would be the best place.

Off it came.

Dash bits also came out to make some space for running the cable through.

The cable was LONG, not necessary for this little box but good to have.

Then it could be routed through under the dash.

Headunit out and in.

A bit of cable management could then be done.

And finally the mic could be mounted. Yay for free goodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X