Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi V8 stuffed into a 1982 Porsche 924.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi V8 stuffed into a 1982 Porsche 924.

Hi MCM World, I am currently working on stuffing a 2001 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Into my 924. Has been a bonkers project so far. I have had to Cut and weld the Firewall, Strut towers, Cross Member Fabricate my engine support brackets. Stock ECU has been reworked, going through and revamping the engine harness, battery will be moved to the boot, will be fabricating a new set up for the steering rack, only have room for my Alternator right now lol. will have to fab the oil pan, exhaust headers, and joining exhaust, matching up the engine sensors with the dash sensor lights and gauges, going to use a digital speedo and rev counter. running a Porsche 944 Turbo Transaxle, brakes, and rims and tires. I can add more pictures of my Swap soon as I get on my main computer. Enjoy everyone.

Well this thing is pretty freaking epic!
    Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
    Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
    Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

Comment

Thank you very much applegeek897 ^_^

Comment

That is a lot of welding, good job man

V
        My car : MG TF (2003)

Comment

Thank you MightyJohn, it has been loads of fun!

Comment

Cleaned up and coated my cam covers and intake manifold for my Audi V8

Comment

IF you need any help or want some modified valve covers let me know. I ground and started to polish as set. Whats your engine code? I love this engine it can make tons of power. I love the look of this porche but hated the motor hence why I never had one but the marriage is awesome!!!!

EDIT: Didnt read your post but anywho more about what I did to my covers. I knocked the mounting posts off of mine. Ill try to find a photo. The posts only hold the engine cover which hides the valve covers which IMHO is a mistake.
              Last edited by Robert; 07-05-2018, 02:45 PM.
              Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

As you can see I spent hours and hours. I also got valves ECT that I was going to use for a build so if you need the spares Ill give em up for pennies on the dollar since they would be used for greatness. Also if you want me to mod your covers or polish anything post would be outrageous as I live in Japan now I am assuming your in the states. ( Im from there.) But I would love to polish up any engine bits for no cost. But another warning it takes hours and hours to get them right. This one wasnt even finished during the photo but appearently I stopped taking photos.
                Please keep rolling on your project and if you get stuck I would be real interested in helping out. IF you are goging to spend the I forge 5 grand or 10 on the rod set theres a few shops I can recommend to do the balancing on the east coast. That engine could use exhaust porting and the intakes have some nasty casting marks where the molds didn't line up. I can also suggest if your going turbo to throw that manifold right in the garbage.... But it looks like you had it apart.... Another go fast suggestion is if you are going NA to build long tube headers. Its 3,000 for the only set made for this engine and thats a bit much IMHO. They aren't works of art either but if you made shorties its an improvement over the logs. Also if using a stock ECM it can be tricked to believe the cat is there with two non foulers. Honda civic bosch 02 sensors can be had for 20 $ ..... I am going to shut up now but I hope something I said here helps you in your build.

Comment

So shiny !
                  It's actually really good, I didn't think about any of this as possible actually (never saw it), but it's brilliant (Is that a pun in english too ? In french it's quite funny for stupid people like me ...)

Peace !
                  V
                  My car : MG TF (2003)

Comment

Thank you very much for all that amazing info Robert. I will certainly message you if anything is needed. I will be pulling the engine apart for deep clean and inspection. Have all new gaskets and seals.. staying stock right now. Good for 300hp and torque which is plenty for a 2200 lb car. I will be building my own headers and exhaust system. Thank you for again for all the info.

Comment

Those powdered metal rods are still forged and can take a little abuse. Id suggest if your tearing out the crank and pistons to at least precision balance the engine. They should puff out quite a bit more power than just 300. I think stock they put out 330 unless you got the older 4 valve which is no engine to sneeze at it has powered many supercars. You might want to look at what spyker did to theirs as I dont think they did much to get north of 800. If I had the parts here in Japan I would just send them to you. I really have to stress working the ports and getting the valve seats properly cut. I think that with a proper exhaust bigger injection and an ECM that will allow more power you will gain a ton of torque and push over 405 on the top without hitting the internals. The factory A8 exhaust restricted 80 h.p. or there abouts. I suggest 2 3/4 inch tube at the collectors connected with an x style pipe. DO NOT: operate that engine open header without ear protection. It will give you or irritate tinnitus due to the frequency. 3 inch is only good for turbo and will cut some TQ off the bottom. I have already wasted a lot of time and money rescearching it. So I mean your good to go for abouts 400 ponies out the gate . If you do decide to do any boring I suggest sending the block out or sleeving with iron because of the silicon based cylinder walls. Theres a special honing technique. I was quoted a grand in materials alone. But turbo is pretty straight forward. O ring the head. Replace the pistons rods and head/rod and main bolts and your good to go. I bet that motor could do north of 1000 horses. But street I thought that motor could do 750 ish daily and still have enough manners to take the ladies out for a sunday drive.

The cam belt V8 is an amazing engine. the only prohibitive parts are the rods pistons and cylinders. you get over that hump and I am sure no Porsche is going to stand a chance against you. Best of luck and long live the timing belt.

Comment

Hi Robert, Thank you A lot for the Great info. I have a 40V AUX D2. listed at 310 HP, but that is stock. I plan on running 1.75 ID headers to 2.5" ID At the collectors. lol and having 400 HP in a car this lite would be epic! Considering my 3.0l 951 puts down near 400 to the wheels. I really want to properly Dyno tune her though. I will be pulling the engine apart, new bearings and gaskets and all. plus will go through and check the piston and rod weight. I have balanced and matched many 944 engines before, makes for an amazingly smooth engine. I know with 400hp and a lite chassis most of the Porsches will not keep up with me. I really like the Timing belt V8s, makes it do easy to work on and time. also since the V8 is soooo short only 21" deep, compared to the stock 944 2.5 which is 27" deep. These are great cars, Been working on them and driving them for many many years!

I do plan to port and polish out the heads, and change all the valve seals. plus all gaskets. going to make it a nice smooth and powerful engine with a good MPG. they already get like 28MPG if i am not mistaken.

Comment

If your in the states I can ask my mom to look at the spares I have in the trunk and send pictures. I cant remember if I polished the chambers or not. If I did make me an offer. A low offer as I am in a hell of a pickle right now. I just tore apart my lotus and found tons of oil leaks!!!! I really wish I could stuff that 4.2 in the car with a haltech and two turbos the thing would be rip your guts out fast. But its really really illegal to do a swap here plus the government charges by the liter!!!

I wish you the best on your build. Please keep us updated as you progress. BTW got any advice for me? I am doing this damn lotus 2.2 up and I want to make a header that I car wrap in header wrap to keep the heat off things but shes a turbo. What material you reckon I should use. Inconel is hard to come by in the small batch.

Comment

wow! That really bites man im sorry to hear that I hope you are able to get it fixed. if you like I will go ahead and message you my email. also I have added new pictures of my cam covers and intake placed on my V8.

Comment

I replied. I sent all the info about parts.
                              Its GOLDDD!!! It looks damn good!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X