Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martin's Project Diesel Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHR1294
    replied
    Originally posted by acme15 View Post
    How ya going?

It sounded awesome with the supercharger! Very unusual.

Cool little project!
    I've actually just finished the welding today, and the wiring loom is now wrapped in the proper stuff.

The supercharger was okay, but it was a lot of load. It didn't really gain power, it just moved the power down the rpm range. Would be great in something off roading. Turbocharger going on now, I've done this in the past so I know I'll get good results with it.

Just need to wire up the rain light at the rear and the starter motor - that will be all the electrics done.

Next step is for me to change the suspension, I've got coilovers for the front and a good standard axle for the rear.

My first event is on August 2nd.

Leave a comment:

• acme15
    replied
    How ya going?

It sounded awesome with the supercharger! Very unusual.

Cool little project!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    I should really post an update. I'm going to do it entirely in pictures and as few words as possible.

First things first, to get the front end off the car, then install the fuel cell (this is a 10 litre fuel cell)

So I had to remove goose ( SAD HONK )

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Next job was to install harness loops, the large washers don't need to be welded in, but I did anyway. they feel so much stronger. Also found some chassis leg rust that needs repaired

You'll see I've welded the gear stick at an odd angle, I can't reach the stock lever when I'm belted in the seat

3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpeg

Next I installed my Amazon 10 way fusebox, these are really hand as an LED lights when you try to use a circuit with a blown fuse.

7.jpg
    I spent a day stripping down the OEM loom as much as possible, I want to re-use some of it

8.jpeg

Of course, I needed to make a switch panel, the ONLY place I could mount it where I can reach it is above my head. Here's the mockup

9.jpg

Then started running my own wiring to all the switches

10.jpg

And down to my new fuse box, once all the wiring is complete I can wrap it properly to protect it

12a.jpg

And finally, here's how I'm getting the wires into the engine bay. Simply using the standard OEM grommet and conduits where I can.

13.jpg

Now, what's next...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    That sounds exciting Martin, look forward to seeing the videos later on!!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    AN UPDATE!

Okay, so things are getting a bit more serial with the car. If anyone has noticed I've been quite quiet, so thought I'd post an update.

I'm going back into sprint racing, but a bit more serious this time. The first year was relatively successful, no breakdowns or any mechanical issues except from the battery terminals coming loose!

As I'm using a turbocharger, I'm over 2000cc as 1527cc * 1.7 defined in the 2020 blue book.
    I'm also restricted for mods, so entering sports libre = lots more hassle but lots more freedom - like Scotland should be.

Things I have already:
    Hispec Billet 4 calipers, needing a refresh with lightly used DS2500 pads.
    Full cage is purchased with fitting kit
    Fire extinguisher
    cut-off switch
    huge oil cooler
    R888R tyres all round.

things to buy:
    Bucket seat
    5 or 6 point in date harness.
    FHR for my helmet and posts!
    fmic Intercooler and pipes
    Tacho
    Oil/water temp gauge
    oil pressure gauge
    The actual turbocharger I'm going to use as I've no space for a big super charger.

Things to make:
    Aerodynamic devices
    Manifold for GT1752/6S
    some oil lines
    Dash board for instruments.

No idea what I'm going to do with the suspension yet, thinking I should just keep it simple or maybe even standard? I'm running GTi front suspension and the stock diesel axle at the rear. All rounds are at Knockhill so I don't really need the adjustability.

Car is going full strip, even the wiring - thanks to mechanical diesel this is really straight forward.

Eventually I'll video what I've been doing and post them on my The 106 Diesel Channel. I've had literally no free time to myself. You may have noticed I've not been updating the announcment threads for which I apologise, I plan to start this next week as I've got some time off work.

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Been a great weekend, still trying to find the limits of handling on the car and tyres pressures etc.

Managed to swipe a 1st in class though, because I had the only road going car LOL

the GTi gearbox is letting me down, so the 1.5D gearbox will be going back on soon!

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Sounds exciting, best of luck and enjoy!!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    News news news news, news glorious news

So I'm entering a sprint race, race day is Sunday. Had my power and weight done today. 73.5hp and 110ft.lbs of torque.

So it's 3.5hp more than last year naturally aspirated and 41ft.lb more, but what's important is WHERE the power comes in.

Not sure why the bottom picture is sideways...

Pic below:

20190419_161609.jpg

20190419_161601.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaktus View Post
    Very cool, Martin! Looks like a rather successful project!
    Thanks man

Getting there slowly

on full boost it shows 12psi but there's absolutely 0 smoke and it feels like it's struggling. I've modified a 9mm VE Bosch pump from a 306 DTurbo which will provide me with more than enough capacity - future turbo maybe?

The weather here just now is absolutely terrible, so I bought myself a helmet, race suit and gloves. all in cost me about £700 which is actually very reasonable. I'm hoping to get the pump fitted in the next few days when the weather clears up!

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Very cool, Martin! Looks like a rather successful project!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Okay so here we go, first test drive!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    That sounds great, Martin!
    I've been so lazy with post updates recently, I'm trying to edit myself some videos together so I can blog my build on YT

windows movie make just doesn't cut it lol

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    That sounds great, Martin!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied

Yes, please do when you get a chance! I had a '96 106 Rallye many moons ago and would love to get one again, it was the most fun car I've ever owned! Would be very interesting to see a resto thread on one.
    I did actually have one on this forum but it got lost and I don't have a lot of the pictures any more. So it's mostly complete lol

I guess half a build thread will do :P

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post

I've got a standard 1994 Red S1 Rallye being restored, I'll maybe do some videos of that rebuild, it's mostly complete.
    Yes, please do when you get a chance! I had a '96 106 Rallye many moons ago and would love to get one again, it was the most fun car I've ever owned! Would be very interesting to see a resto thread on one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X