Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martin's Project Diesel Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MHR1294
    replied
    Been a great weekend, still trying to find the limits of handling on the car and tyres pressures etc.

Managed to swipe a 1st in class though, because I had the only road going car LOL

the GTi gearbox is letting me down, so the 1.5D gearbox will be going back on soon!

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Sounds exciting, best of luck and enjoy!!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    News news news news, news glorious news

So I'm entering a sprint race, race day is Sunday. Had my power and weight done today. 73.5hp and 110ft.lbs of torque.

So it's 3.5hp more than last year naturally aspirated and 41ft.lb more, but what's important is WHERE the power comes in.

Not sure why the bottom picture is sideways...

Pic below:

20190419_161609.jpg

20190419_161601.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaktus View Post
    Very cool, Martin! Looks like a rather successful project!
    Thanks man

Getting there slowly

on full boost it shows 12psi but there's absolutely 0 smoke and it feels like it's struggling. I've modified a 9mm VE Bosch pump from a 306 DTurbo which will provide me with more than enough capacity - future turbo maybe?

The weather here just now is absolutely terrible, so I bought myself a helmet, race suit and gloves. all in cost me about £700 which is actually very reasonable. I'm hoping to get the pump fitted in the next few days when the weather clears up!

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Very cool, Martin! Looks like a rather successful project!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Okay so here we go, first test drive!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    That sounds great, Martin!
    I've been so lazy with post updates recently, I'm trying to edit myself some videos together so I can blog my build on YT

windows movie make just doesn't cut it lol

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    That sounds great, Martin!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied

Yes, please do when you get a chance! I had a '96 106 Rallye many moons ago and would love to get one again, it was the most fun car I've ever owned! Would be very interesting to see a resto thread on one.
    I did actually have one on this forum but it got lost and I don't have a lot of the pictures any more. So it's mostly complete lol

I guess half a build thread will do :P

Leave a comment:

• Kaktus
    replied
    Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post

I've got a standard 1994 Red S1 Rallye being restored, I'll maybe do some videos of that rebuild, it's mostly complete.
    Yes, please do when you get a chance! I had a '96 106 Rallye many moons ago and would love to get one again, it was the most fun car I've ever owned! Would be very interesting to see a resto thread on one.

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Originally posted by Fury556 View Post
    This is awesome. My brother had a black 106 rallye and it was mental!
    Thanks man

I've got a standard 1994 Red S1 Rallye being restored, I'll maybe do some videos of that rebuild, it's mostly complete.

Leave a comment:

• Fury556
    replied
    This is awesome. My brother had a black 106 rallye and it was mental!

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Okay so bloody cold today, my diesel heater ran out of diesel too! had a small fan heater aimed at my face and just worked with that.

Got the charger mounted, the brackets are needing strengthened a little bit as there's wobbly side to side - that's the direction you don't want wobble as it throws belts off!

My charger pulley is off alignment by 1 rib but the smaller pulley I've ordered is a 7 rib pulley so it will sit on the middle 5 ribs of that pulley which is absolutely fine.

Anyways, picture time!

20190202_131035.jpg

20190202_153143.jpg

and finally I have a fabric measuring tape so I know roughly what belt I need, I will be changing the pulley so I'll wait just in case it moves too much

20190202_152902.jpg

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    Okay so some progress has been made, I ordered my Supercharger last week, it left Hong Kong on Thursday the 24th and arrived at my desk on Monday at 10am! how fast was that, I didn't even pay extra! import fee was only 22.22 as well. Ideal, total cost was 186.59.

Anyways, I've had a major setback (because I now know lots more about superchargers!) and that I can't make the required boost/power I want. I'm gonna do it anyway.

there were no details of the pulley size from the seller, when it arrived I measured it to be 58mm. My crank pulley is 150 so that's a ratio of 2.59. Which with a 500cc charger and my VE engine assumption would generate about 0.2psi of VACUUM lol

I spent literally hours looking for a new pulley and finally bought one, which is 48.5mm in diameter. This should net me about 7psi? whatever the boost isn't important, the flow is.

Spare engine is sitting in the garage so I plan to start mocking it up this weekend.

I've also purchased a tacho - since this car has a dirty great big clock instead of a rev counter. and an intercooler (air-water) since I'll only be using the car for sprints and the car is a low power to weight I don't want ANY additional aerodynamic drag. So I'll be installing a 5 litre water tank, pump and some pipes - I've got some sums to do as there will be a maximum amount of time I can drive hard before the water becomes too hot.

I just hope the Lucas fuel pump can cope...

Leave a comment:

• MHR1294
    replied
    I have sought knowledge from the all powerful Yoda and some Peugeot friends who've had superchargers on their cars.

Basically, I've f*cked up. My charger is going to be too small for high engine speeds. so it'll only be useful to me at lower engine RPMS.

I guess I'll just have to play about when it arrives, I can't seem to find a compressor map for this charger anywhere!

Why didn't I just stick to what I know? (GT1544 turbo) because that's how we make progress!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X