Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Christmas came early, and the previous owner sent me an identical cell from the batch he used to 'fix' the car. It is from USA and has 30 written on it. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the 30 stands for 30Ah measured on one 4V cell. That would be a 33Ah->30Ah, 90.1% degraded cell, which makes sense. I will have to measure it myself to make sure. But at least now I can take a rough reference without taking the car out of service, and compare it against the Italian cell.

What a complicated origin story, kudos if you are still following the thread

On a more interesting note, I did another tweak. I intend to switch all incandescent bulbs over to LED to save some electricity. The 10W license plate bulbs got swapped over to Osram 2W LEDs.

Yellow incandescent on left (although my phone made it way whiter that it actually was), LED on the right

Doubt I actually get any more range with this mod, maybe half a meter more?

Comment

half a meter more!?

Nah, I think you'll go 3/4 of a meter! hahaha

This is when you find out the disappointment that the 30 means it was his 30th battery or something. I hope not though.
      I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Happy holidays! The Leaf is happily churning out spruces as I drive, very festive

I am continuing the LED upgrade, here is the boot space lamp

And here is the dome light. Both got 31mm wedge LEDs.

I need all the range I can get now. When the cold hits this hard -12*C, the effective range falls down to 60km-ish. It is such a shame that I cannot prewarm it anywhere, if I could the range would be so much better. I noticed that if I prewarm it and charge right before leaving, the range is the same as autumn.

It is also quite hard to wash the car at -12, here is what happened when I started the pressure washer :P

But after heating it in the garage, I could wash and wax it properly

Oh, and this came in the mail. More on this later

Comment

I will just leave this here.

Yesterday we managed to burn a battery-body ground wire from 1970 cadillac (It was literally in flames), so I don't see myself working on cars which works only with electrics.
          1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

I found this type of LED was not bright enough, so I built a custom upgrade using a paperclip and some solder
            20181224_142820.jpg

Comment

Thanks
              The LED was bright enough for pitch dark Finland atm

I finally caved in, and started renting a garage space 200m from the apartment. It costs 50€ per month, with unlimited electricity. This solved my range anxiety issues permanently. I am limited to 8Amp charging, but that is OK, I only need this space once or twice a week. I should have just done this from the start

Now I can start to experiment with the timers properly before going on a long trip!

Oh, and here is a snip of a LeafSpy screenshot, showing the consumption during prewarming.

On 21*C, with fanspeed on 2, it makes the cabin nice and warm in a matter of minutes. Consumption hovers between 1500-1800W in this state. Green is going in, red out.

With the 16A charger (3300W), you can charge the battery and still preheat the cabin. Awesome!
              With a 8A charger (1600W), if you preheat, all electricity will be pulled from the battery, and the charger barely keeps up replenishing it.

Some people on the nissanleaf forums have even reported SoC dropping a few % when preheating, this is probably only in USA where they have only 110V, and a normal L1 charger would only output 1000W+-200W. Thanks EU for 240V

Comment

This showed up in the mail.

Now I can start capacity testing the big Leaf cells! I settled on the reasonably priced Antimatter charger/discharger. It can do 10A charge and 7A discharge. I started it a bit more gently, and the test is going to take some time. I set the upper voltage to 4.1V, and discharge down to 3.0V. If I had set the upper voltage to 4.2, it would ofcourse net more capacity, but as long as I do the same for each cell I test, I will come to a conclusion what cell would be best to use in the car.

Comment

that looks like an excellent tool!

It's going to get you exactly the results you want, which is ideal

Project Diesel Tune:

Martin's Kei to success

Comment

Car is working fine in -21*C Hope it doesn't go towards -30 this winter...
                    I now have some capacity numbers to share, and time to make a decision.
                    Test, 5Amp discharge, from 4.1V -> 3.3V
                    USA cell: 39,77Ah
                    Italy cell: 43,30Ah

So presuming I have an USA cell from the same batch, If I upgrade to the Italy cell, I'd get a 9% range increase! I could also try looking for better cells, but most people just sell untested cells :/ Hmm...

Comment

it was only -5 here yesterday and we had some frozen rain. My mirrors nearly didn't fold out so I've left them out so they don't jam in the morning.

So Italy cells are better? Maybe they've been subject to the Italian equivalent of the Italian Tune-up!

I guess untested cells is too risky - they might be better but it's the "what if it isn't" that will be eating you?

Project Diesel Tune:

Martin's Kei to success

Comment

Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post
                        So Italy cells are better? Maybe they've been subject to the Italian equivalent of the Italian Tune-up!

I guess untested cells is too risky - they might be better but it's the "what if it isn't" that will be eating you?
                        Yes, most likely gonna chuck in the Italy cell any day now, just waiting for the weather to turn completely.

Status update on the Leaf. It's been cold here...

I assembled the OpenEVSE unit. Now I need to decide where I mount it. I will most likely make it open to the public on all charging apps, since it probably goes in the middle of nowhere

We have also had a fair bit of snow

Due to all the cold and snow, I decided to get some proper snowtires instead of the all-season ones that came with the car.

I settled on "Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3"
                        in the format: 205/55 R 16 94 R XL

This is the tyre that Nokian primarily recommends for electric cars, since it's a low rolling resistance and wont impact the range. On the sticker they are branded as B on the economy gauge. The efficiency step between A - B - C goes something like 100% - 97% - 90%, so there is a huge benefit from stepping up from C to B. From B to A the 3% efficiency step is not as noticeable.

Comment

I didn't know there was only 3% between A and B! That's useful info for me The winter tyres on my Alto are B rated I'm sure of it.

I drove an electric car for the first time at work the other week, it was a Renault ZOE. it's actually not weird to drive at all. I really liked it.

That's good to make a charging point public! Nobody would ever do that here in the UK, they're all so selfish. lol

Project Diesel Tune:

Martin's Kei to success

Comment

I'm in the local paper!

I'm currently in the process of starting up my own company, aiming to be the first in Finland to offer 3rd party EV battery service/swap/upgrades. It's gonna be a wild ride!

Comment

Congrats man and good luck with the company!

Hope you have time to spare for wrenching on cars and telling us about it, I'd love to see an update on the Mazda and the Leaf!

Comment

Good luck man

won't be long before more and more independents pop up for this!

Project Diesel Tune:

Martin's Kei to success

Comment

Working...
                                X