Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys

I went and added the garage to the Plugshare map, in-case someone is close to getting stranded in the middle of the Kvarken world-heritage archipelago

It sure is an EV dead-zone out here

Comment

Hej Dala, this is a much more interesting read than I imagined! Well done on getting the Leaf recommissioned, good job showing us it actually can be done by an avid DIYer.

Btw, didn't realize you're in Replot, might try and come over at some point for a wee chinwag when I'm in Finland next time visiting my parents up in Jakobstad.

Comment

Last time I was anywhere near there, I was trying to buy cigarettes from some small store in Vöyri and I had hard time to find common language with the clerk. He refused to speak Finnish and I can't speak Swedish. In the end I got those cigarettes.

1990 Chevrolet Chevy van G20

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

My experience with Swedish people is that they are very good at speaking English so...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCaptain View Post
            My experience with Swedish people is that they are very good at speaking English so...
            Except that she was a Finn. She asked something in Swedish, so I just told her that I can't understand what she said, so she got all grumpy for some reason.
            I have no problem with my friends who are FennoSwedes, as they have every other word in Finnish

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by Kaktus View Post
              Hej Dala, this is a much more interesting read than I imagined! Well done on getting the Leaf recommissioned, good job showing us it actually can be done by an avid DIYer.

Btw, didn't realize you're in Replot, might try and come over at some point for a wee chinwag when I'm in Finland next time visiting my parents up in Jakobstad.
              Thanks Sure

Originally posted by SBC View Post

Except that she was a Finn. She asked something in Swedish, so I just told her that I can't understand what she said, so she got all grumpy for some reason.
              I have no problem with my friends who are FennoSwedes, as they have every other word in Finnish
              You got very unlucky then. Most people in this area are tri-lingual, English/Swedish/Finnish are fluent. Ofcourse, the older a person is, the more chance you have that they only speak one language.

So, now that the weather is getting warmer, it is way more inviting to work on the car. First order of business, getting the undercoating tiptop.

This is what the stock rear wheel-well looks like

Not very protective at all, when you run on gravel roads, the noise is awful when it slings small pebbles straight on the metal inner arch. So, I de-greased it, brushed it, rinsed it, let it dry, and applied some rust coating with a brush. It also doubles as sound deadener!

One done, three more to go

Oh, and for my repair company, I bought this essential tool, the 'EVs Enhanced HV Battery Paring Tool'

Now I can swap batteries properly between cars

Comment

Looks like one of those things you plug into the OBD port to get cars in "service mode" etc

Similar but for pairing batteries?
                I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Originally posted by Dala View Post

You got very unlucky then. Most people in this area are tri-lingual, English/Swedish/Finnish are fluent. Ofcourse, the older a person is, the more chance you have that they only speak one language.
                  Yea I know, I bet she just had a bad day and refused to speak Finnish, as she did understand what I said to her. I have been in a situation like that in Porvoo too. But I don't really mind, as basicly I did same thing to them, I can understand Swedish little bit, but I won't speak it. That makes conversations with one of my friend quite funny as his Finnish is really broken and I can't speak Swedish, So I understand half what he is talking about and same goes for him when I speak. Still we are good friends. It gets even better when we are both drunk.

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post
                    Looks like one of those things you plug into the OBD port to get cars in "service mode" etc

Similar but for pairing batteries?
                    Exactly. Nissan went into great efforts to try and make servicing these cars a dealership only thing. Now these EVs have been around since 2011, so the CAN bus is starting to be pretty well documented. Here you can read more about the tool http://evsenhanced.com/products/hv-b...-pairing-tool/

In the near future, once I have a big battery, I'll go into detail on how complicated an upgrade will be.

Comment

I don't know why they bother trying to hide it, I mean as long as it's controlled by a computer someone will be able to "hack" it.

great news for starting your own repairs though.
                      I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Another Sunday, now both rear wheelwells are protected against the elements.

Comment

I guess this kind of protection is really needed up there, when I was in Sweden I saw a lot of rotted cars. 10 year old Audi's with rustholes in the door you could fit your head through

Comment

Soo, the Leaf developed a leak... quite a big one too! Not so fun to see it drip from the side airbag

Tore the interior apart to investigate, it leaks on the top part

Spread the rubber gasket with zipties, blowdried it

Applied lots of clear silicone, let's see if it holds. If not, the windscreen needs to be resealed. Fingers crossed for an easy fix

Started working on the looks. The front of this car is really "froggy". Eyelids should help the look quite significantly. Started by removing the rear piece, not used for anything.

Wrapped the rear piece. Still need to wrap a slight amount on the upper headlight too, but let's see how the material hold up. It had a slight purple color, would have liked matt black more. Ohwell, I will iterate as I go

Then I focused my attention to something more fun. The horn! On all the Leafs, the horn is pathetic. It sounds like a toy car. Lets fix that!

Started by removing the front splash shield, peeking up on the horn assembly from under the car

Here is the stock Denso unit, compared to a 1991 Nissan NX horn setup. I really like 90s Nissans, so it felt like a perfect choice. The same horn setup is found in the S13 afaik!

Horns mounted. The horns ground via the mounting bolt, so had to fashion a wiring adapter. Note the one pin that's not needed anymore.

Here's a comparison

Comment

The Man-in-the-middle attack CAN prototype boards from Muxsan arrived today. This thread is going to get quite technical soon...

Comment

I love technical, bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                                X