Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris' R34 Skyline GTT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris' R34 Skyline GTT

My previous project was a 1992 Mazda MX5 which I purchased stock. Over the next 5 years the car went through various changes and styles. In May 2018 I made the decision to strip the car to a bare shell and sell everything to fund my dream car. The original plan was to enjoy the car until September when the insurance and MOT expires, then begin the search for the new car. I found an extremely tidy example for sale in June and went to view it and ended up coming home with it.

Nissan Skyline R34 GTT Series 2
    RB25DET NEO 6
    Manual Transmission

Imported in 2016 by IBE Cars in Huddersfield
    Resprayed in original Pearl White in 2017

Stock except custom de-cat exhaust and HKS air filter

First thing to do was to have a full service including all fluids. The suspension was swapped for some Meister R coilovers and the stock wheels swapped for a set of 17" A-Tech Monoblock alloys refurbed in bronze

Oil Change
    Spark Plugs
    Fuel Filter
    Japspeed Radiator
    Thermostat
    Drive Belts
    Cambelt & Tensioners
    Waterpump
    Coolant change
    Gearbox Oil change
    Diff Oil change
    Brake Fluid change

Meister R Zeta CRD Coilovers
    Shorter front drop links
    Wheel arches and suspension turrets undersealed

Comment

Why buy aftermarket clear side repeaters when you can just remove the orange lense yourself for free!

As much as the Series 2 front bumper wasn't my favourite thing to begin with, I did start to like it as time passed. But it was time to find an Altia bumper,this seemed abit more tricky than i first though. Luckily i found one only a couple of hours away, and it was en route on my holiday to Cornwall, bonus!

While down in Cornwall we took a trip over to Devon and visited the guys and girls at Torque GT. They had the HKS SSQV Blow off Valve on offer, so would have been rude not to grab one while i was there.

The first of many packages had arrived from Japan, my replacement OEM steering wheel. This is fantastic condition compared to the one fitted to the car. The only problem was (and i didnt notice until i took the photos) was its actually from an Auto car, i didn't originally see the buttons in the advert on Yahoo Auctions,oops!

Before:

After:

The other half bought me some LED tail lights for my birthday in August. fitting didn't take too long :P

Finally got the Altia bumper painted and fitted, along with some clear indicator units and chrome bulbs. Its transformed the front end and looks alot better! I'm glad i decided to colour code the centre bar and not left it black.

The factory ceramic turbo doesn't like a bar of boost, most say around 11-12psi max is safe. After some research i decided to go for a Greddy Profec OLED boost controller to up the current boost a tad. Also hoping it'll come into boost smoother as its a little bit 'choppy' (see what i did there :P)

I didn't like the mount that's supplied so decided to make something

Comment

I ordered a new set of wheels as birthday present to myself. I wanted a set of these for the MX5 but they don't make them wide enough in a 15. So i'm very happy to be able to have a set on the Skyline

Choosing a wheel design was difficult enough, let alone deciding which fitment to get. I decided on 18x8.5 ET30 and 18x9.5 ET30, playing it safe due to the arches are original and mint, would be a shame to ruin them because of the offset being lower.

I believe Nismo recommend this fitment for the GTT, so that was some reassurance

Colour choice was also another challenge, the current bronze wheels look awesome against the pearl white and I had my head set on that. But then i saw the GT Silver was an option and well....you can see from the photos that i made the right decision (or did i?)

With the bodywork being in mint condition (except the difference in colour on some panels due to the pearl) my attention would be under the bonnet. I can't afford a full forge build,top mount turbo etc so went for a cheaper route. I've been collecting parts for a couple of months and now I'm at a stage where i can post about it.

Stock Turbo Stage 3 Hybrid (spec below) (Rebuilt by Universal Turbos)
        Genuine Gasket Set
        Apexi Power FC
        Z32 MAF
        R35 GTR 570cc Injectors
        Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
        Blitz FMIC
        NGK BKR7E Plugs
        Splitfire Coilpacks
        Competition Clutch Stage 2 (supplied by Conceptua Tuning)
        Lightened Flywheel
        Braided Clutch line

Re-Profiled Compressor Cover
        T38 Compressor Wheel
        360 Degree Thrust Bearing
        T3 Billet Backplate Modified
        T3 Bearing Housing Modified
        Hi-Temp Turbine End Piston Ring Seal
        T38 Turbine Wheel
        Re-Profiled Turbine Housing
        Ported Wastegate and Larger Poppet Valve
        1 Bar Actuator
        Up-Rated Actuator Bracket

My aim is 400hp,would be over the moon if it was more

I also have a Tomei turbo elbow on order through Nengun Performance

Comment

The new tyres for the Work wheels arrived and i didn't waste any time getting them mounted and fitted to the car. The front ride height is left untouched from the 17s, the rears were raised 20mm (its still veeeery close to the arch lip)

I think playing it safe with the offset of 30 was a wise decision, it may not be the 'fitment' that kids nowadays wanna see, but i think its perfect

Not long after purchasing the car, i already had a vision of what i'd like the car to look lilke. My very first car/project was a red Nissan Micra K11, one of the things i loved about that was the Nismo livery. That car taught me alot of cars in general especially thinking outside the box when it came to modifying. I knew the livery would work well on the R34 so it had to be done.

Last edited by hoodedreeper; 02-01-2019, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Some Autumn photos

My Tomei Exhaust elbow arrived from Japan via Nengun. The quality and workmanship on this is incredible!

I found these on Yahoo Auctions and JDMParts Rupewrecht arranged the purchase and delivery. Originally they had a 2-3 week production time as they're made to order. But these were ready to be shipped within a week!

The quality is very good, the pieces are quite thick so not thin and flimsy like some carbon/FRP parts. They've certainly got some weight to them!

Comment

It was a very nismo christmas this year! The other half had spoilt me rotten by buying me a Nismo speedo cluster

I also treated myself to some Nismo goodies from Nengun and Yahoo Auctions

Spent Boxing Day afternoon fitting it all

Which brings me to my next mini update, engine cover stickers!

Keeping with the Nismo theme, i purchased an R33 strut brace with brake stopper on eBay. The brace had certainly seen better days so i started to refurb it.

And heres the finished item

Another little change I made was to swap the bulb in the ignition barrel to an amber one, to help match the red/orange illumination in the cabin

Comment

Working...
              X