Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries WD-40

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 Ford Taunus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Ford Taunus

So... I sold my Chevy van and was in a need of new daily driver. I have always been really effective when it comes to buying bad daily drivers. I think I didn't make any exception here.

For everyone who wonders what car this is; It is 1982 1.6L Ford Taunus GX (TC3).

It's low mileage car, with typical 80's/90's customizations like chrome Mangels wheels, rear window louvers and those long double antennas. I'm not planning to do much for this, but things can change really quick. At this moment it needs new battery and some new audio equipment.
    1982 Ford Taunus

1984 Ratty Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

This has been one of the funniest cars I have had. And people like to come and chat with me at gas stations for example and ask where I found that car ( not that common car to see anymore) and most of the time they tell how they had one or someone who they knew had one back in the day.
    But still this is old car and it has old car problems. I need to replace drive shaft seals on the rear axle as it likes to leak the diff oil to the rear brakes.. And for that reason I also need to replace rear brakes.
    One problem that is slightly annoying, but I don't want to do anything about it is those wheels. Mangels wheels was the shit at 80's and 90's, but those was also cheap wheels. Soooooo.... They might not be that good wheels. I had those re balanced and it took out most of the vibrations, but still it's easy to notice that those wheels are quite wobbly.
    + I need to replace reversing light switch as I accidentally hit it when working under the car and it broke. Good thing that I have 7 spare transmissions for rwd fords, didn't need to look that part too long.
    1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

I found out that some old Ford diffs doesn't actually have separate seals for drive shafts, as they are one with wheel bearing. So I replaced wheel bearings, which was only a good thing because passenger side rear wheel bearing was already ready to be replaced.

And here was the new bearings.

Now that rear axle is little less noisy and oil stays where it should. I didn't replace the rear brakes yet, only cleaned them. I will try to burn the oil out of the rear brake shoes some day when I get my gas torch back.
      1982 Ford Taunus

1963 Oldsmobile Super 88

1974 Chevrolet El Camino

Comment

Working...
      X