Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 Veloster turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like my project was well timed.

Some internal shots of the engine

Replacing some of the usual suspects:

Head work done except for final flattening.

Also needed to do some balancing.

No pics yet but cylinder boring is complete and the deck has been flattened.

Comment

Was that rod bent from stock boost levels?

I mean, yeah it's thin, but no thinner than a Honda CRV rod, and they handle up to 32psi.

Comment

Raised boost levels to around 17-18 PSI.

Comment

Great thread!

I have the same motor in my daily, been looking to mod it but figured too highly strung to mod.

Will be really interested to see what a built GDi can do

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
          And thats why it breaks rods, even WRX's TD04's don't come on till 1800RPM.
          If you clip the rear side, when you recore to a larger one, the rods would probably be OK for a long time.
          You want to see near zero boost below 2k.
          TD04 come on 3K, these GDi motors use twin scroll turbos with direct injection, get 80% torque at 1500rpm, really useful around town.
          Last edited by Asymmetry; 04-08-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Asymmetry View Post
            Great thread!

I have the same motor in my daily, been looking to mod it but figured too highly strung to mod.

Will be really interested to see what a built GDi can do

TD04 come on 3K, these GDi motors use twin scroll turbos with direct injection, get 80% torque at 1500rpm, really useful around town.
            What car and year? If it's a more modern one then the engine runs out at around 300hp.

Intercooler has now entered the country so it should start coming together. All balancing work on the engine is complete

Comment

Originally posted by Meaker View Post

What car and year? If it's a more modern one then the engine runs out at around 300hp.

Intercooler has now entered the country so it should start coming together. All balancing work on the engine is complete
              2014 Kia Pro_cee'd GT, its a rare car here in Australia so dont want to blow it up. I know the GDI was around 4 years prior but I consider it gen1. So really apprehensive about modding it. I think a tune could be ok but from what I read Kia spent a long time getting it all tuned for conditions here, so not much left on the table from what I understand.

Do you know what stock boost level is? Bent rod at 17psi doesn't fill me with confidence.

Keep us posted on your build, love to see what a built GDi can do, next question is limit of gearbox
              Last edited by Asymmetry; 06-08-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

2014 models should have the updated engine with the stronger rods, under the plastic cover you will have a silver sticker with the engine serial, G4FJxxxxxxxxx... What's the next letter on yours?

If it has the 6 speed manual box that's fine and if your rods are the updated design if you want a basic tune up to 220-230BHP then it's perfectly safe.

My intercooler arrived:

Comment

^Ok thanks for that will look!

Nice front mount!!!

Comment

TD04 come on 3K
                    There is something incredibly wrong with your TD04 or tune.
                    You start to see positive pressure as low as 1100rpm, 5psi by 1300rpm and 14psi at about 2.1k

A TD06SL-20G comes on at 3.2k on a stock 2L, so if you're only seeing peak boost on your TD04 by 3k, you need some assistance.
                    Double check your data logs, or have a strong word with your tuner.

Here, I have a VE chart for you.

unnamed.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
                      There is something incredibly wrong with your TD04 or tune.
                      You start to see positive pressure as low as 1100rpm, 5psi by 1300rpm and 14psi at about 2.1k

A TD06SL-20G comes on at 3.2k on a stock 2L, so if you're only seeing peak boost on your TD04 by 3k, you need some assistance.
                      Double check your data logs, or have a strong word with your tuner.
                      Have you ever driven a WRX?

https://www.mrttuned.com.au/mrt-stag...s-impreza-wrx/

Comment

Naturally, I wouldn't be speaking so certainly, unless I did; 1999 My00, lived life fairly stock for the first 3 years, TD04 with a road tune wound to 18psi.
                        Now it's got Crower 272 cams, Eagle H beam rods, 2.1L stroke, 'Monster 16g' TD05 Turbo; so on and so forth.

Also, have helped build 4, from shell-up.
                        Another few I was involved with:

http://www.3pgarage.com/project_cars/project043pgr/

http://www.3pgarage.com/project_cars/project033pgr/

http://www.3pgarage.com/project_cars/project023pgr/

I also tune.

Why do you ask?

Comment

I like that the exhaust is still an exhaust, not just a roughly bent pipe that mostly fits.
                          Keen to see how it all goes for ya
                          Did it stay within budget?

Comment

Went a bit over budget but not silly.

Comment

Finally back in my hands

Comment

Working...
                              X