Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kit Lens Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Lens Upgrade

Hey guys,

So I've had my DSLR camera for around about 9 or so months now. It is a great piece of kit for a beginner like me and came with 2 lenses (18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and 55-200 f4-5.6) which I had thoroughly made use of to produce what in my opinion are great photos. Recently however I've been thinking of upgrading or swapping my lenses for something else. In replacement for the 18-55mm I was hoping to get the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens. I thought that the focal range of this lens even though yet another kit lens is pretty convenient. In replacement for the 55-200mm the NIKON AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED. I didn't like the big overlap by the 55-300 if I'm getting the 18-105mm as well so I thought that I should get the 70-300 instead. Are there any reasons why I SHOULDN'T get those two lenses mentioned above considering that it will only be used by a beginner? Will the replacement lenses provide just as good if not better image quality as the ones I set out to replace?

Thanks for any and all the help everyone n_n
    Originally posted by jmacman12
    RLD_evoIX you have good taste
    Rodney is the name, Evo IX is the Dream

I use a the Nikoon 18-105 VR, I wouldn't reccomend it unless you can source it very cheaply. It does have a very usable focal range, but exhibits very bad distortion at practically every length. Only seems to clear up at about 24mm. And more worryingly it's not simple barrel or pincushion it's quite complex distortion which is hard to correct in post-prod. Not a huge deal breaker unless you're a professional brick wall photographer but worth noting.

I do however HIGHLY reccomend the DX 18-200 VR or VR II. Absolutely awesome range with very pleasingly low distortion everywhere, it's also long enough that you'll rarely need to take your long tele out. It can be the difference between getting the shot in front of you, or missing it because it took you too long to swap the lens. It is pricey however; But well worth it. I hijack this lens from the old man's camera as much as possible!

In regards to the 70-300 Nikkor keep in mind it's not a fast tele, it's aperture range of f4.5-5.6 at the long end is pretty dismal and it will not be useful for shooting any action shots at a reasonable ISO. The more exotic variants that stop down to 2.8 thereabouts are worlds away in usefulness and quality. That being said they are way too expensive to consider for most non-pros unless you really REALLY shoot a lot of tele shots or you have money to burn.
    Originally posted by Ron
    ARE YOU ALLOW TO PUT NEON LIGHT IN SIDE THE CAR LIKE BRIAN SKYLINE IN 2 FAST 2 furious

Originally posted by MOOG
    Metal owns all others and that is all!

Daily - 1991 Corolla SX
    Project - 1988 N13 Pulsar SVD 18LE Turbo

Comment

^^^

I have considered the 18-200 super zoom lens but as mentioned it is quite pricey so I'm not really too sure about that. And your comment on the 70-300 being slow is also correct, however I tend not to shoot any action shots anyways, I may occasionally but I believe that I can make do, add to that that as have been mentioned the f2.8 variants really are quite expensive and from what I've heard quite heavy as well.

Comment

If you're willing to be patient and source second hand an 18-200VR can be had for a bit over $500; Still double what you'd pay for an 18-105, but I assure you it's more than twice as good! I suppose the other consideration is for shots you pull at the long end of your current tele, would you settle for a shorter focal length and crop more? Or do you absolutely require the extra resolution of leaving the frame un-cropped?

I publish most of my photos online, so even shots that I can't reach to with the 18-105 I have I'm able to get away with cropping. Very rarely do I need to do a large print that requires the full frame..

And yes you're right about the pro Nikon Teles being heavy, they are absolute boss however. You also look pretty pro with one and people/security don't question if you should be there or not when you have a lens that large haha..
        Originally posted by Ron
        ARE YOU ALLOW TO PUT NEON LIGHT IN SIDE THE CAR LIKE BRIAN SKYLINE IN 2 FAST 2 furious

Originally posted by MOOG
        Metal owns all others and that is all!

Daily - 1991 Corolla SX
        Project - 1988 N13 Pulsar SVD 18LE Turbo

Comment

I've had my fair share of lenses, but the one I leave on my camera most is the 18-70. It's faster than your average kit lens (f3.5 at 18mm) and is very sturdy. No VR, but it is an AF-S, which is very nice. They're also around $300 (if you can't afford the 18-200 VR). I've never used the 18-200 VR, but I've heard lots of good things about it. The only one I've ever seen belonged to one of my bosses back in the states and his aperture actuator failed which required warranty repair. I suspect that's a rare occurence, though it might make me think twice about buying one second hand (or grey market import).
          My Facebook page - My YouTube channel - mauswerkz on Twitter
          The mauswerkz 300zx EV build thread.
          My 1992 BMW 318is Coupe, soon to be battery powered. Technical progress in this thread.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WildZero View Post
            And yes you're right about the pro Nikon Teles being heavy, they are absolute boss however. You also look pretty pro with one and people/security don't question if you should be there or not when you have a lens that large haha..
            Haha... That's pretty true... XD And with regards to the second hand 18-200mm I still think that $500 is a fair bit to spend considering in the end that I'll only be using it with an entry level body. I think I'd rather spend that $500 on a car mod or better yet save it for an actual car...

Comment

Working...
            X