Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Camera Gear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah from jemapela.com(aka Camera Clinic) down in Melbourne, its $210 for the repair, and $30 for a focus calibration. Now my camera and lens is with him to be repaired over the weekend. Should get it back by the end of next week. Im pretty happy with what I payed for both the lens and repair. Just saying its no where near half the price of a grey lens.

Oh, and are you using a filter on yours? Ill prob purchase one, but dont know which one.
    Last edited by QuangVuong; 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM.
    Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
    Flickr

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

• Your Camera Gear!

Originally posted by QuangVuong View Post
      Yeah from jemapela.com(aka Camera Clinic) down in Melbourne, its $210 for the repair, and $30 for a focus calibration. Now my camera and lens is with him to be repaired over the weekend. Should get it back by the end of next week. Im pretty happy with what I payed for both the lens and repair. Just saying its no where near half the price of a grey lens.

Oh, and are you using a filter on yours? Ill prob purchase one, but dont know which one.
      Great deal! Yeah, just using a clear UV as a protector. Pretty sure it's a cheapie one though, doesn't affect the image though which is good.

Comment

• Are you sure about that? Its either no filter, cheapo filter or a good filter. I dunno what I should do. Im onlythinking about it to have full weather sealing.

Anyway, maybe Hojo, or Mechawombat can help me out with this request:
        By any chance, would someone have a flash that you could lend me for a day? Just one of the Canon speedlites, or something that has eTTL?

I was invited to shoot my grade's cruise, but I dont have an auto flash. And I will prob have a hrad time with the manual flash Ive got.

So if youve got one, which I could borrow for the night of the 24th, that would be great.

Please let me know
        Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
        Flickr

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")

Comment

• How do you have a 1d and L glass but no flash?

If your in the same environment for the whole time, bounce off roof with one setting. You'll get heaps cleaner light anyway.
          AutoCult Network. Automotive Culture at large.

Comment

• Your Camera Gear!

I have a Nikon SB25 but an auto flash would be useful for shooting.

Anyway, Hojo has been kind enough to loan one of his flashes for the day.

And next question is:
            50D vs 5D. Which should I get? The 1Ds is nearing its end. Has 107000 shutter and has had 2 Err99 in its life(one die to shutter issue and one with something about a circuit issue). Now Im thinking of getting a second body. Its either the 50D or 5D. They are quite close in terms of performance, and they can be had for about the same price. Although the 50D is newer and there is video capability(after Magic Lantern). The 5D is full frame, but much older. I cannot decide.

EDIT:
            The repair dude has finished repairing the broken ribbon, and calibrated the lens. $240 repair cost plus $150 lens cost, which makes up $390 for total cost! Bloody amazing price for the L! Quick and cheap service. So whoever needs a repair, or service send it to this guy! www.jemapela.com
            Last edited by QuangVuong; 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM.
            Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
            Flickr

(\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

Comment

• What 5D are you referring to?

My suggestion would be to research which one suits your needs and decide based upon that. Although, if I was in your position I would keep saving for something more recent, along with a flash.
              http://www.facebook.com/mitchellbairdphotography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

• Your Camera Gear!

Originally posted by mitch2147 View Post
                What 5D are you referring to?

My suggestion would be to research which one suits your needs and decide based upon that. Although, if I was in your position I would keep saving for something more recent, along with a flash.
                I believe Quang is referring to the 5D MK1.

With regards to filter, I'm quite sure it does not affect the image, but will have to do a bit of a comparison (filter vs no filter) to be truly sure. The brand is inca, pretty sure it is multi coated and was about $25.
                Last edited by ndh795; 10-09-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mitch2147 View Post
                  What 5D are you referring to?

Yes I'm referring to the MkI. To me they both are of about the same level. 5D is FF which is nice to have, but the 50D is capable of video. Looks like I've tracked down a $400 50D and it looks like I'll head down that path.

Nathan, I'm thinking a Kenko for me, but I'll see when I get the lens back on Wed.

Flash is no probs as I am waiting for one to arrive. I just wanted to borrow one cause I need it urgently(Mon in 2 weeks).

EDIT:
                  Ok got the lens back this morning. I sent it out to Melbourne via express on Thursday 6.9.12. He picks it up on Saturday 8.9.12. Messages me on Sunday evening letting me know that he has finished replacing the faulty diaphragm. Monday he finishes adjusting and calibrating the lens. That was a super quick repair, and today 12.9.12, I received it. I also sent in my 1Ds body. During the calibration, he was able to tell that the body back focuses a little and would be noticable with large aperture lenses. Due to this he calibrated the lens to the 'master' 1D body. I decided against calibrated the body, as I dont have any large aperture lenses(other than the 50mm) and the 1Ds will soon be retired.

Price wise, Jeremy Chua was the cheapest around. On the provided receipt, its a rate of $100 per hour of work. He quoted $210 for labour and parts, and knew exactly what was needed to be done. I could have chosen for the body to be calibrated, but I decided against it. The calibration woud have cost $40. Lens calibration is $30. www.jemapela.com

Anyway, better put up some pics

24-105mm f4L by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

1Ds + 24-105mm f4L by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

1Ds + 24-105mm f4L by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

And these are initial test shots testing AF and sharpeness. Both shot wide open, and seems like everything is in order.

7C4S3036 by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

7C4S3037 by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

Total cost of the lens - $360! You guys can work out how much I payed for the lens.
                  Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
                  Flickr

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• Hello everyone!
                    Canon 50D
                    50mm F/1.8
                    and a tripod just in case.

idk if i should get either a macro, fisheye (8mm), or a telephoto >.<

Comment

• Originally posted by aCal View Post
                      Hello everyone!
                      Canon 50D
                      50mm F/1.8
                      and a tripod just in case.

idk if i should get either a macro, fisheye (8mm), or a telephoto >.<
                      MACRO all the way !

Comment

• New kit update: Today i went and bought two film cameras for only $10, thought i'd mess around with them a bit. Just a cheap plastic "Instantload Camera" and a Kodak VR35, thought Film would be fun to mess around with, and at $10 i can't complain
                        sigpic
                        Flickr | My 1995 Nissan Silvia S14 Q's!

Comment

• Your Camera Gear!

Canon 550D with grip
                          18-55mm kit lens
                          55-250mm kit lens
                          28-105mm USM on its way
                          Tarmac shoulder bag
                          Standard tripod
                          Few other little extras

Comment

• Nikon D90
                            18-105mm kit lens
                            70-300mm Nikkor Zoom lens
                            10-20mm Sigma Wide angle
                            Nikon Speedlight SB-600 Flash
                            normal tripod, small flexible tripod
                            Other small things such as wireless and wired shutter buttons, Lowepro shoulder bag, UV filter, etc...
                            Originally posted by Mighty
                            sometimes I dig holes in my backyard and stand in them and pretend I'm a turnip.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Just purchased a Hoya Pro 1D CPL for the 24-105. Have had nothing but good experiences with it on the 17-50. Also bought a genuine rear dust cap as I lost the Tamron one. Got both for $86! Would've been over $100 in store. Gotta love eBay!

Also, need your guys' advice. I'm thinking of selling the Tamron 17-50 and getting the Canon 17-55 2.8. I find that sometimes the Tamron delivers un-sharp images when VC is enabled, and I cannot stand having a non-USM motor after now owning the 24-105. I could sell the tamron for about $320+ with UV and CPL, and then get a new 17-55 for around $900 and then would need to buy a hood (genuine) which is around $30. What do you guys think?

Comment

• GOt myself a Sigma 10-20mm lens. Nice wide lens for the 50D! Ill try it out on the 1Ds as well, as no one has done it! Should be interesting.
                                Canon 1Ds 24-105mm f4L
                                Flickr

(\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                                X