Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crashed my 323 today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Crashed my 323 today

    Hi all, this is my first post in the MCM forum. Today hasn't gone my way necessarily, show up to work feeling a little bit under the weather. I think to myself "I'll leave early to avoid excessive amounts of traffic and not risk feeling worse and not being able to get home". It's a wet day today in the ACT, driving well to the conditions my shitbox 323 caught an oil patch causing the front left wheel to drive hard into a gutter. I'm extremely grateful for my shitbox keeping me safe, as well as the crash being very minor only hitting the curb at approx. 20 kph. I'm well and ok however a busted LH CV Shaft needs replacing from what I can initially see. This is my first car as I am 19yo, I absolutely LOVE it regardless of it having the bare minimum that a dangerous nugget can have. If anyone has any suggestions of where I could get a LH CV shaft locally and/or online, also whether I should be shopping for Genuine parts?

    Much Appreciated,
    CrispyNuggets

  • #2
    Originally posted by CrispyNuggets View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post in the MCM forum. Today hasn't gone my way necessarily, show up to work feeling a little bit under the weather. I think to myself "I'll leave early to avoid excessive amounts of traffic and not risk feeling worse and not being able to get home". It's a wet day today in the ACT, driving well to the conditions my shitbox 323 caught an oil patch causing the front left wheel to drive hard into a gutter. I'm extremely grateful for my shitbox keeping me safe, as well as the crash being very minor only hitting the curb at approx. 20 kph. I'm well and ok however a busted LH CV Shaft needs replacing from what I can initially see. This is my first car as I am 19yo, I absolutely LOVE it regardless of it having the bare minimum that a dangerous nugget can have. If anyone has any suggestions of where I could get a LH CV shaft locally and/or online, also whether I should be shopping for Genuine parts?

    Much Appreciated,
    CrispyNuggets
    Welcome to the forums CrispyNuggets

    That's not ideal! what year/model/chassis code is your 323? There's a few combinations
    I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

    Project Diesel Tune:

    https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

    My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

    Martin's Kei to success

    https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post

      Welcome to the forums CrispyNuggets

      That's not ideal! what year/model/chassis code is your 323? There's a few combinations
      Thanks for the reply Martin, this screenshot should provide you with all relevant deets.Screenshot_20180824-152025~2.png

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CrispyNuggets View Post

        Thanks for the reply Martin, this screenshot should provide you with all relevant deets.Screenshot_20180824-152025~2.png
        Ohh err I'm not familiar with that one.

        It's not mega power, I'd be tempted just to get an aftermarket part online. probably a whole driveshaft. A typical CV will be held in with a circlip and it's a messy job. it'll save you a bit of time changing the whole shaft.

        I can see lots on ebay, they're about $80-100 for the whole drive shaft.
        I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

        Project Diesel Tune:

        https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

        My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

        Martin's Kei to success

        https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MHR1294 View Post

          Ohh err I'm not familiar with that one.

          It's not mega power, I'd be tempted just to get an aftermarket part online. probably a whole driveshaft. A typical CV will be held in with a circlip and it's a messy job. it'll save you a bit of time changing the whole shaft.

          I can see lots on ebay, they're about $80-100 for the whole drive shaft.
          Thanks for the help man. I've been on quite a mission and the new shaft is in, however I've run into a problem after installing the new shaft. The new passenger side shaft spins fine when in gear but the drivers side shaft will not. I caught it spinning slightly when starting the car in first and also when putting it in reverse, i get a slight grinding noise as well when in reverse. I had to tap the new shaft in with a hammer to get the C clip to engage, is it possible when i did this the drivers side shaft disengaged causing the spline to come away from the diff?

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm assuming both front wheels are off the ground, if you put the car into gear (engine off) and turn the passenger wheel, does the drivers wheel move? and vice versa?

            If it's an open diff, the shafts can't touch each other inside the gearbox.
            I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

            Project Diesel Tune:

            https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

            My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

            Martin's Kei to success

            https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome - ouch, good thing you're ok though.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CrispyNuggets View Post
                Hi all, this is my first post in the MCM forum. Today hasn't gone my way necessarily, show up to work feeling a little bit under the weather. I think to myself "I'll leave early to avoid excessive amounts of traffic and not risk feeling worse and not being able to get home". It's a wet day today in the ACT, driving well to the conditions my shitbox 323 caught an oil patch causing the front left wheel to drive hard into a gutter. I'm extremely grateful for my shitbox keeping me safe, as well as the crash being very minor only hitting the curb at approx. 20 kph. I'm well and ok however a busted LH CV Shaft needs replacing from what I can initially see. This is my first car as I am 19yo, I absolutely LOVE it regardless of it having the bare minimum that a dangerous nugget can have. If anyone has any suggestions of where I could get a LH CV shaft locally and/or online, also whether I should be shopping for Genuine parts?

                Much Appreciated,
                CrispyNuggets
                sorry bud hope you're alright! insurance?

                Comment

                Working...
                X