Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey:)

Hey everyone, Im zach,17 from sydney Australia just trying to get into the JDM car scene Any tips would help as well!

-- More specifically if anyone has recommendations for JDM AWD cars under 10k, (P Plate legal ofc... Laws suck.) <3

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Are you looking to import one from Japan, I take? Or look for one already in Australia?

Comment

Welcome to the MCM forums.

Originally posted by ZachDuj View Post
        -- More specifically if anyone has recommendations for JDM AWD cars under 10k, (P Plate legal ofc... Laws suck.) <3
        Subaru Impreza? Subaru Liberty? Subaru Outback? Mitsubishi Magna? Mazda 6 MPS?

I guess it depends on what kind of car do you want...
        Last edited by Kullman; 14-09-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZachDuj View Post
          WRX GF8.

The GC8 is a few KG too light to pass power to weight restrictions (at least in QLD) and the extra 8kg or so of the GF8 makes it legal.

Also, my tip for 'joining the jdm car scene' is to NEVER bullshit.
          It's super SUPER easy to know when someone is speaking from "tv" or just completely making shit up.
          It's fun to educate new people when they're actually enthusiastic, so just be that.

I'm quite unpopular IRL because I just don't take the BS that comes from "I wound it up to 30psi the other day"... I thought your tune was only for 24? "Yeah, but I put a bleed valve on it" Then it would have exploded; custom tune means no auto learning, or boost cut, 6 PSI extra without timing or fuel is a death sentence "You don't know what you're talking about" Lets plug my tuning laptop in and take a look eh? "Aww Nah, piss off"
          Yeahhhhh that's what I thought....

Find people who are driving the MCM level nuggets and actually working on them. The 'Brand name crew' are 90% of the time, just posing and dick waving in the JDM scene.

Unless you're building a period-correct show piece, don't even get me started on 'genuine wheels' :P
          Half the posers don't even know what JIS, JWL or even ADR actually means, yet they'll argue about it all day with you. (protip: Rotas are actually very well made).
          Hell, the most popular wheel in Japan (based on sales), is made in Taiwan (XXR), So whether you JDM is 'japanese domestic market' or 'japanese delivered model', guess what? It's both.
          Sorry I got myself started :P I'll see myself out
          Last edited by Master_Scythe; 14-09-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

thanks so much guys this is awesome, Im really just trying to learn, I have a brief knowledge of what's really the bare minimum and I'm not going to pretend like I know a whole lot. I'm looking for preferably a AWD whether is be sedan or coupe ! Thanks again everyone <3

Comment

Originally posted by Kaktus View Post
              Welcome to the forums!

Are you looking to import one from Japan, I take? Or look for one already in Australia?
              ummm preferably one that already exists but I'm open to suggestions depending on costs of things

Comment

Mitsubishi RVR?
                Lots are Auto, but thats fine, you can manual convert it if you want later,
                But there are manual ones out there.

Comment

I think you hit the right key in your first post, Master_Scythe .

The Subaru Impreza WRX fits the requirements of ZachDuj nicely, and can be found pretty cheap in Australia (here is really difficult to find one for less than 8.000 €).

Comment

Even a non-turbo imprezza can be a fun car.
                    You'll NEVER come out on top trying to upgrade it to turbo later; however, swapping in a nice EZ30 or EZ36, is still extremely simple, and will come out at significantly cheaper than any other 'big engine' swap.

That is of course if you ever even NEED that; sometimes just a "nice car" is all people want.
                    Subaru's (because they make up their displacement with bore, more than stroke) are super torquey down low even in NA form.
                    E85 - NA - With cams, is one HELL of a fun ride (been in a couple)

I have a fully built WRX which I may have toasted the engine on, my plan was to part out all the fun bits (it's full Killer-B for example), and put an EZ30 into it, with custom 14:1 pistons.
                    That compression will NEVER run on 98; but here in QLD, we have both EFLEX and E85; Eflex is "minimum E70", which is usually about 100-ish RON (as opposed to E85 being about 105Ron);

Staying NA, I should be able to build an ethanol dedicated car with insane compression, and since they're "self balancing" I should be able to cam that bad boy up a LOT, and spin it to the moon.

GotItRex spins their destroker to 12000RPM, so I'm hoping I can hit 9k.

Thats a build for a few years down the track though, I'm still swapping and boosting my DC5 at the moment.
                    Last edited by Master_Scythe; 16-09-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Scythe View Post
                      Even a non-turbo imprezza can be a fun car.
                      You'll NEVER come out on top trying to upgrade it to turbo later; however, swapping in a nice EZ30 or EZ36, is still extremely simple, and will come out at significantly cheaper than any other 'big engine' swap.

That is of course if you ever even NEED that; sometimes just a "nice car" is all people want.
                      Subaru's (because they make up their displacement with bore, more than stroke) are super torquey down low even in NA form.
                      E85 - NA - With cams, is one HELL of a fun ride (been in a couple)

I have a fully built WRX which I may have toasted the engine on, my plan was to part out all the fun bits (it's full Killer-B for example), and put an EZ30 into it, with custom 14:1 pistons.
                      That compression will NEVER run on 98; but here in QLD, we have both EFLEX and E85; Eflex is "minimum E70", which is usually about 100-ish RON (as opposed to E85 being about 105Ron);

Staying NA, I should be able to build an ethanol dedicated car with insane compression, and since they're "self balancing" I should be able to cam that bad boy up a LOT, and spin it to the moon.

GotItRex spins their destroker to 12000RPM, so I'm hoping I can hit 9k.

Thats a build for a few years down the track though, I'm still swapping and boosting my DC5 at the moment.
                      thanks so much it helps a lot i'll look into them awesome to hear about your car as well!

Comment

Even if I'm looking for a turbocharged car, because is the right version to have in the 480, I think the NAs are usually more reliable.

Comment

I have a AUTO 2002 Subaru Legacy/Liberty sedan and it's the most fun I've ever had in a car.

It's even more fun to drive than my mother-in-law's 2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Turbo, which is a hot to drive.

That being said I really dislike autos BUT this car has changed my mind. I got my car for about AU$1900 although the body is garbage and needs fixing, the engine is amazing even at 287k km.

Also the Legacy GX has absolutely every feature you need. AC powersteering, ABS(coz of all the sit-ups haha), CRUISE CONTROL!(that blew my mind when I saw it) and most importantly AWD.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Svenironhand View Post
                            CRUISE CONTROL!(that blew my mind when I saw it)
                            I remember that feeling when I got my 1986 Accord, in mid 2000's; still worked too.

Comment

Its such an awesome feeling. Hondas are always on the ball when it comes to technology. One thing that boggles my mind is when car manufacturers but the gauges in the middle of the dash instead of in front of the driver. (One of the Honda Ballades has this dash, not sure which one.)

Comment

Working...
                              X