Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problems

Hey guys about a month ago I bought a 96 lexus sc400 with w58 5sp swap from a 85 supra. I drove it for about a month when out of nowhere I couldn't put in into gear while driving. I pumped the clutch and then I was about to put it in. This issue kept coming back from time to time. My first thought was to change the tranny fluid which I did. Then a day later the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. I then bled the system, replaced the master cylinder (the slave seemed to be working) and adjust the clutch pedal push rod. The clutch felt like normal but I still couldn't put it in gear. I looked underneath and could see that the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch fork but I don't think it's enough to fully disengage the clutch at least those are my thoughts. Idk what else I could do the previous owner said that it worked fine just the way it was

You'll know if it's the clutch, by changing gear with the car off.
    Without the engine running, you won't need any clutch to change gear.

If it still won't go in, it sounds more like gearbox issues.

Comment

Yeah it still goes in gear when the car is off and I know it has to be something with the clutch/hydro system I just don't know what else to do as of right now

Comment

Originally posted by Edgar22 View Post
        Yeah it still goes in gear when the car is off and I know it has to be something with the clutch/hydro system I just don't know what else to do as of right now
        Grab a friend.
        Get the driven wheels safely off the ground, because you could die. Perhaps park the car as close to a wall as reasonable, so it can't drive forward and kill ya....
        Start the car.
        One of you needs to be inside the car, and one of you needs to be accessing the clutch fork.
        See if you can manually get the clutch fork to disengage the clutch (she'll take some SERIOUS force!)
        If you can, and your buddy can get it in gear without issue, then you know it's hydraulic.

If you can't get it in gear, even though you're certain you've moved the clutch fork to disengage; guess what's bent?
        SUPER common issue if the previous owner installed a heavy duty clutch.

Comment

Working...
        X