Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Unseen Skyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unseen Skyline

Hi,
    I currently own a 1998 Nissan Skyline R34 Gt N/A sedan, with stock everything except air intake.

The story of its arrival was rather interesting...
    It started a year ago, when I got into skylines and decided to purchase one for myself. This led me to browsing R34s on trademe and facebook marketplace for about a year. After having no luck whatsoever combined with R34s becoming rarer and the prices SKYROCKETING, I found myself in a do or die situation. I nearly settled on a dubiously panel beaten skyline, which was more of a compromise than a dream, when I found a listing for a skyline with no photos, no responses to any questions on the listing, and a dirt cheap price.
    Although immensely risky, I decided this would potentially be the last time I would be able to have one of these and decided to jump.
    Due to Auckland's recent lockdowns, I had been unable to ship the car from Wellington to home until yesterday, when it came fresh off the truck in a surprisingly good condition.

The engine bay was rather dirty, but luckily had no apparent mechanical faults. The air filter was blackened with years of use, but cheap and easy to replace. Also it's missing a fuse box cover, how interesting! So, If you were wondering who is asking all the wreckers on trademe for one, I'm your guy.

The interior was appalling. Although it had all original parts and working, juice was spilt on the console, leaving a terrible smell, the steering wheel is peeling off, clothes were left inside, and worst of all, animal faeces was smeared all across the back seats! I wish I had a photo to show you guys but fortunately I solved the issue ASAP.

The exterior gave mixed feelings. Although there is no rust around the engine bay, wheel arches or usual spots, there is severe rust around the central boot light! I should count myself lucky that it is nowhere close to any of the bones. Many minor scratches and wear-and-tear for the age of the car also.

I have so far: steam cleaned engine bay, cleaned interior, and given a general wash to the exterior of the car. I'm thinking it should be right after a great deal of TLC
    Any recommendations as to what to do about the rust?
    Any tips to owning a skyline? What should I mainly look out for in the future,
    Looking forward to keeping you guys posted.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by Sky'sthelimit; 05-10-2021, 09:07 PM.

Well done on securing it!

Welli you say, that photo of it parked up in the driveway was from the previous owner? Looks like just up the road from my place, and I have a strange feeling I've walked down the street with the hound and eyeballed that very same R34

Comment

I'd say do a basic service, new fluids, filters (especially cabin air filter), and a compression check.
      That will give you a base you can work from, wether you want to keep it as is as a daily, or mod it to perform whatever you want it to do. Just don't expect miracles just because it has a Skyline badge.
      These cars are old. Mine is a '98 as well and you bet people ask me to do a burnout regularly because it's a Skyline and it has a RB engine and they are indestructible! No. They need maintenance just to survive.
      MCM Forum Discord server:
      https://discord.gg/xSy2yKFGPG

Opel Adam S 1.4 Turbo
      Nissan Skyline 25GT-T R34
      Yamaha XV950

(R-I-P) Ford Focus Mk1 TDDI Wagon
      (Sold) Skoda Rapid TDI
      (Sold) Yamaha FZS600 Fazer

Comment

Originally posted by Zecke View Post
        I'd say do a basic service, new fluids, filters (especially cabin air filter), and a compression check.
        That will give you a base you can work from, wether you want to keep it as is as a daily, or mod it to perform whatever you want it to do. Just don't expect miracles just because it has a Skyline badge.
        These cars are old. Mine is a '98 as well and you bet people ask me to do a burnout regularly because it's a Skyline and it has a RB engine and they are indestructible! No. They need maintenance just to survive.
        Thanks for the advice man, this week has been pretty proactive with the car, so far I have replaced all the fluids and the cold air intake filter, ontop of getting coil packs and spark plugs to replace existing ones. Will definitely do a compression check, that sounds like a great idea.
        No burnouts for me until i know my car well enough hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Anderson View Post
          Well done on securing it!

Welli you say, that photo of it parked up in the driveway was from the previous owner? Looks like just up the road from my place, and I have a strange feeling I've walked down the street with the hound and eyeballed that very same R34
          Yes indeed it was, that is if you are based in Wellington.

Comment

I am indeed in Welli, damn it's a small world when you see a car that used to be just up the street posted from a different city on an international forum!

Comment

Love the story, Glad you managed to get something decent.
              Keep us updated on the progress i'm keen to see the progress.

and lol, gl with the fuse box cover.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAttempt View Post
                Love the story, Glad you managed to get something decent.
                Keep us updated on the progress i'm keen to see the progress.

and lol, gl with the fuse box cover.
                Cheers! Week one has just flown by, mainly consisting of cleaning and getting the car to a standard where I can finally have some fun and experience the RB magic.
                Was a bit worried when the car started to misfire, turns out the rocker cover gasket was GONE and water had leaked so much that one of the coil packs was practically underwater (pictured)!
                Fortunately with a quick replacement my skyline was back to running great.
                Gave it many washes, planning to give it a full cut and polish this week.
                Got totally ripped off by a wrecker to get a fuse box, but I had no other choice, so its coming tomorrow!
                Finally got a good guy to sort out the boot rust for me, so relieved.

Attached Files

Comment

holy shit that first picture - glad you caught and fixed that early(low key kinda funny, but also kinda scary)

for some reason the pictures a super low res, but from what I can see the car is looking shiny already.

awesome you found one, a friend told me prices at the wreckers are getting insane. I wonder if you could 3d print a replacement?

I have seen what rust does, it's not pretty, also more glamour shots please.

Keep us updated my friend, keen to see progress.

Comment

Cheers guys for the support. been really useful keeping motivation and productivity. Since last week, I have managed to put on a set of wheels and replaced all coolant hoses, so altogether not too much done. Have provided some pics of the wheels! But yeah, overall not too much done, been focusing on the euro car. I know what you're thinking, and YES, I do indeed need to replace the front license plate. Wasnt me, blame the previous owner!
                    See you guys next week!

Attached Files

Comment

Looking good, rad wheels. keep us posted. If you have pictures of the hose replacement post that up please.

Manage to take it for any good drives?

Comment

Working...
                      X