Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sad story, a public service message, and a small ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad story, a public service message, and a small ask.

Greetings Marty, Moog, and all MCM Forum members!

My best wrench turning buddy Andy and I have a sad story and a public service announcement for everyone as well as a small ask for MCM. We are long time viewers of both channels and supporters through the online shop. We are also gearheads here in The States and love making our cars better and faster. This brings me to the sad story...

Andy and I had a pretty good shop where we spent many weekends upgrading and maintaining Andy's Ranger and my WRX as well as many other friend's and family member's cars . Now this shop actually belonged to Andy's father and he kept a tractor and a truck and a couple of boats in there and Andy also kept his classic Ford Galaxie that he inherited from his grandfather in there too. I don't think the Galaxie ever came to Australia but his was in pretty good shape and he was in the process of restoring it. (We have included a couple pics you can check out)

Then I got the text in the middle of the night that it was burning. That's right, the entire shop burnt to the ground. EVERYTHING is a total loss. The fire marshal told them it was a power tool battery pack that started the blaze. No it wasn't a Ryobi. This being said, I feel like everyone should pay close attention to any battery packs and how they are stored and maintained.

Since the fire, I have purchased a Mk 7 Golf and Andy bought my WRX as his new project to replace the Galaxie he lost. He also lost all of the tools that he also inherited from his grandfather. One of the bigger losses was our Chopped flag. We will be rebuilding, better than before, with a lift, better tools, and everything we always wished we had in the old shop. At this point I was wondering if MCM could send us a new Chopped flag to make sure our new shop gets up and running again in the best possible way.

Loving the work boys, keep it up,

Jay and Andy
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Shiseiji; 16-05-2020, 11:35 AM.

The dirt work on the new shop has begun!
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Wow, that is NOT a super fun time at all.
      Did insurance agree to cover it?
      Didn't expect 'foul play' or such?

Comment

From what I am hearing they got a chunk of money from insurance but not quite enough to cover the cost of rebuilding at today's cost. They are figuring it out though. They had separate insurances on the truck and tractor that were inside that paid out alright I think. And no, not any fun at all... It is so strange and annoying putting back together a shop piece by piece. I'm sure for a while we're going to be reaching for things that aren't there anymore and having to go buy new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiseiji View Post
          From what I am hearing they got a chunk of money from insurance but not quite enough to cover the cost of rebuilding at today's cost.

Ouch
          Unfair and harsh lesson on making sure your insurance is up to date though! Hardly worth having if it doesn't cover the business.
          Best wishes and hopefully it all turns out OK.

Comment

Yeah I do believe we are all learning some things. Thanks very much for the well wishes. It'll all turn out good in the end I think.

Comment

So even with a worldwide pandemic, we still got some piles of shop. This was a few weeks ago now. I wonder how long it'll take to get put up.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

This patch of dirt is where our future lies.

Comment

Progress!

Comment

I'm really sorry to read about your misfortune! Reminds me though that I probably should have another look at the general insurance situation should the unthinkable happen...

Best of luck guys rebuilding and making an even better car den to enjoy some quality wrenching time in once again!

Comment

Making great progress man!

I'm always weary of battery packs. Definitely my worst fear is battery fire, they're so hard to put out as well.
                      I stripped my car out so much it now has 49/49 weight distribution.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

It's a good rule to turn off everything but your security system when you leave for the night.

Perhaps, since you're rebuilding, you could have a separate circuit put in for the security system, that way you can flip all the breakers at the end of the day, except the security.

Comment

I believe my buddy is going to set up the shop like a smart home. That way we can monitor it remotely. And yes, I feel like we need a switched power source to any charging devices for sure to prevent this happening again. That and go with a different brand. We may in fact be going with Marty and Moog's sponsor this time around

Kaktus and MHR1294, that's a big reason I made this post, to get my fellow petrolheads thinking about the batteries and insurance side of having a shed to work out of.

Comment

Since you're in the US of A, where firearms are common, perhaps you can find a used gun safe, for your charging station?

It can catch on as much fire as it wants, and all you'll get is some minor smoke damage.

Comment

Hey... that's a real good idea there Master_Scythe. I like it!

Also, I have another pic of the current state of the new shop but I can't upload it. Is there a way for me to increase my storage on the forum?

Comment

Working...
                              X