Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid Sony Head Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Sony Head Unit

My sony HU has developed this annoying problem over the last 2 weeks, when ever I hit a bump the face plate loses it's electrical connection with the HU, thus turning off the stereo, sometimes I can turn it straight back on, other times I have to give the face plate a bit of a push. Is there any easy fix for this? Also if it helps I've never removed the faceplate before now, as I've seen a few go bad that have been constantly removed.
    Huh, Did everything just taste purple for a second?

Does the front face come off?

Comment

Originally posted by Jcknights93 View Post
      Does the front face come off?
      Not on it's own, only when you remove it properly

Comment

Most newish Sony decks come with a small screw that can be used to prevent the face from coming off at all. If you don't take it off, maybe try using it

Comment

Have you pulled the HU out?

Does it loose radio station presets and other settings every time it turns off?

Sounds like a bad power or ground connection but the answer to the above question will be one step closer to finding out which one.
          sigpic

Comment

It's not a new unit, it's one of the very first sony mp3 units, No I haven't pulled it out, but I can tell you it's not loose wiring, I installed the HU myself, and connections are soldered and heatshrinked, it is a connection problem between the face plate and the HU, what I'd like to know is there any way of improving that connection. Also HU doesn't lose memory when it does it. and the temp fix to get it working is to press on the face plate, right over where the connection to the HU is

Comment

if it's old and used a lot there could be cold solder joints on the pins that connect the faceplate to the stereo. a solution would be to pull apart the stereo and faceplate and resolder all the joints.
              if the actual metal of the connection pins has worn a bit that'll be a bit trickier. you could even try coating each of them in solder just to give them a bit more thickness therefore increasing surface area contact.

Comment

or....

buy a new one

Comment

my dads sony headunit in his ute used to do the exact same thing when u hit a bump it turns off but with his it turned straight back on
                  i will ask him wat the problem was later
                  sigpic
                  SIGPIC CREATED BY THE LEGENDARY TOMMMMMMMYYYYY!!!!!!!

Comment

Duct tape it on.
                    Derp.

Comment

Originally posted by occa View Post
                      or....

buy a new one
                      is this the true spirit of MCM however? :P
                      why buy new if you can fix what's broken.

Comment

Working...
                      X