Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is speaker wire needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is speaker wire needed?

Nearly finished with the audio install and wondering if i need to buy speaker wire to run from speakers to the amp? Not sure if the speakers I have now are running aftermarket wire but when taking my head unit out the stock speaker harness was connected? Do I just leave it in or do I need to get new wire? Also what does a rem slot look like on your head unit? i can't find where to put mine

I run new wire. I like to use a thick home theater wire. You can use the stock stuff though.

Comment

will the stock wires in the harness work? even if they arent going to the amp?

Comment

sure, its magic!

ah, no, you need to connect the speaker wires from the speakers, to the amp.... :/ and you'll need new wire, as the stock wiring doesn't go to the amp....

"rem" I assume you're talking about a remote gain control? looks like a telephone socket on the amp normally? this doesn't connect to the headunit...

either that, or its the amplifiers turn on signal, which is normally a blue wire on aftermarket headunits.

Comment

oh didn't read that .. yes you will need new wires. The rem wire is a wire that goes to the cd player. It tells the amp to turn on the amp as the amp is run on a constent power suply. It turns the amp on.

You will need new speaker wire. I ned more tho. Are you running new speakers with a amp. Make sure that your speakers can handle the amps power. If you are running the amp for a sub then run the speakers to the head unit ( cd player ) then the amp will power the sub and the head unit will power the speakers.

Hope that helps. If you have problems just ask us. I have done a few installs

Comment

Back of the head unit, where does the rem cable go?

Ten characters
            Attached Files

Comment

...the blue wire is on the loom that isn't plugged in....

Comment

yea you plug the loom in. On the cd player wires there will be a bright blue wire. Solder or clamp a new wire to that and run it to the amp were it has REM that's the wire to tell the amp to turn on.

So plug the cd player loom ( bunch of wires with clip ) in and then conect them from there.

Comment

If your wanting to amp your speakers then yes you will need to run new wire from the speakers to the amp.

Comment

how do i get a rem cable from the amp going into the harness? pull the old one out then drip solder in? and should i pull out all the old speaker wires in the harness to?

Comment

...is this a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by AmmoJammo View Post
                        ...is this a joke?
                        i'd say no. remember, there are people out there doing this for the first time and at least they're having a go. you seem to know what you're on about most of the time so i'd imagine you could have been helpful to the OP if you wanted to.

on topic, it seems like you haven't got a wiring harness adapter for your car's stock harness to your new stereo's harness. you will need one of these to make sure your new head unit is receiving all voltage and signals properly. you can find such harnesses at most auto shops, it'll usually be labelled for example, "Holden VX commodore to Alpine wiring harness" or in some cases "Alpine to ISO wiring harness". ISO is universal method of installation which you can use if a direct harness adapter isn't available for your car.
                        if you could provide a bit more information regarding what you have installed so far, what equipment you have installed and what you still require, it'd be helpful for us to provide more accurate information.

about that remote wire, on your wiring harness for your head unit (you're probably looking at the one supplied with the unit with a ton of wires hanging out of it) the blue one is the remote wire. what you need to do is solder a longer wire of roughly the same thickness to it to extend all the way to your amplifier where you will attach it to the input terminal labelled "REM" or "Remote".
                        if you use a wiring harness adapter as i mentioned before, it'll usually leave that wire loose from the harness for you to use. there's a fair few variables depending on what stereo it is, what car it is and what harnesses are available for it so more information would be good.

and no, you dont use the stock speaker wiring on the harness for your new speakers if you're running them from an amplifier. you'll run new wiring from each amplifier channel to its respective speaker.

Comment

Alright Ill buy new speaker wire tomorrow and will just splice the stock rem wire with an extension going to the amp. So far I have installed the amp under the passenger seat, power and ground cables, RCA cables, and 30amp fuse. Running 2 6x9 sony xplodes in the back and 2 6" sony xplodes in the front wired up to a 5600watt powervox amp (crappy i know). This is in no way a joke this is the first audio anything ive ever done on a car.

Comment

Don't even bother amping those horrible speakers. Maybe down the track run a sub.

Comment

I think a amp will blow them :/ Just run them of the head unit and get a sub.

Comment

Working...
                              X