Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is speaker wire needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update. I'm up to hooking up two of the back speakers (6x9's) I don't think the amp will blow them up since it's an eBay amp and apparently has shit power anyway and the speakers are both 350W. The last step is to hook up the speakers but I'm not sure which terminals go into where. Bought new speaker wire and Don't know which out of the two wires connected together go into each port? All the channels on the amp have to slots for each channel. The speaker wire has two wires joined together. How do I test to see which wire goes into the top and which one goes into the bottom? Is it bad to put them in mixed up?

Comment

how will i know which wire is negative and which wire is postive is what i mean

Comment

Speaker wire usually has some sort of marking, color code or other indicator to help you keep track.
        Originally posted by MOOG
        Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
        Originally posted by Jenga
        You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

Ive checked them they have no indication. the speaker wire is 12ga clear from supercheap. How can i test them? and what will happen if I put negative in postitive? or postive in negative? any damage? or just no sound?

Comment

I tried doing the battery test but they sound the same when your testing it either the wrong way or the right and apparently you cant find out which connection is negative and which is positive with a multimeter

Comment

if you hook it up to your amp and play some music, your multimeter should be able to tell you which is pos and which is neg.
              Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier.
              The Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by Lycr View Post
                if you hook it up to your amp and play some music, your multimeter should be able to tell you which is pos and which is neg.

I'm not sure if you're being serious...
                are you suggesting the meter be set to AC or DC?

Anyhoo, it doesn't matter if the speakers are wired "backwards" as long as both are...
                if you wire them up, either way, you can simply swap the polarity of one speaker to see if the sound improves, or gets worse... normally the lower frequency stuff will be easier to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by AmmoJammo View Post

I'm not sure if you're being serious...
                  are you suggesting the meter be set to AC or DC?

Anyhoo, it doesn't matter if the speakers are wired "backwards" as long as both are...
                  if you wire them up, either way, you can simply swap the polarity of one speaker to see if the sound improves, or gets worse... normally the lower frequency stuff will be easier to tell.
                  It doesn't really matter if you have your meter on AC or DC for this, cause he wants to know polarity, either setting would work it's just that you would get two different 'voltages' but I would set it to AC.
                  Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier.
                  The Daily Driver

Comment

It doesn't really matter if you have your meter on AC or DC for this, cause he wants to know polarity, either setting would work it's just that you would get two different 'voltages' but I would set it to AC.
                    and then??

Comment

So since the speakers suck in instead of push out when reversed, i should put my volume to zero then slowly raise it up and the song wont sound right if its the wrong way>?

Comment

Are you sure there's no marking on the wire? I came across clear audio cable a while ago that I thought didn't have any positive or negative marking, turned out the clear covering on one wire was a square-ish shape, whereas the other wire's cover was round. Just an idea...

Comment

they are both square, i might go have a close inspection incase i just missed the writing

Comment

it does matter, AC wont tell you polarity as it has no polarity, it's alternating hence, "alternating current". the polarity is constantly switching between positive and negative so you cannot make a judgement on what is a definite positive and definite negative from an AC signal.

OP, an easy way to see what wire is connected to what terminal on your amplifier is to use the ohms function on your meter. the ohms sign will look like this: Ω

set it to the lowest setting, usually 200 ohms, and put your multimeter leads together. you should see a small reading of about 0.3-0.5 ohms, which is the resistance of your multimeter leads.
                            now what you want to do it place either your positive or negative meter lead onto one of the speaker terminals which has wire connected to it (this is with the power OFF to the amplifier) and touch the other lead to one of the bare ends of wire. if you see no reading at all on your meter, that means whatever wire that is that you have touched is connected to the other terminal on the amp. if you see a small reading, similar to the 0.3-0.5 you got earlier, you know the wire you're testing is the same wire as you have the other meter lead contacting at the amplifier.

all this is a continuity test using a resistance function to tell you what wire is what.

if you do have the wires in opposite to the other speaker, it'll still work but it wont sound any good. basically what'll be happening is the speaker cone of one speaker is moving out whilst the other is moving in and vice versa. this leads to poor sound quality and an apparent low volume.

Comment

ok so the speakers and amp all work, tested and they go really hard! although changing between negative to positive didnt change the sound quality at all. A lot of vibration in the right left speaker though. just the two of the 6x9's shake the car when bass is at max haha. Buying a sub off a mate soon

Comment

Working...
                              X