Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head unit

Alpine head unit is it worth the price?

INA-W910
    All-in-One Navigation/Audio/Video Entertainment System
    $1199.95

Wrong forum, probs best in audio/electrical forum... anyhow

$1199...

Easier to buy a smart phone or tablet, a car kit/cradle and a good single din head unit imo, probably cost less too. That's just me though as I don't see much point in head units like these as many devices offer same functions in a better form and faster with less ugly interfaces and selective choice to use them or not.

Only time these are really required is if you need them for a specific feature or function that can't really be achieved any other way or how you want it from another source as they're just too expensive for what they are.
    sigpic
    Girls like diamonds. Not STi's

Comment

Originally posted by Antz007x View Post
      Wrong forum, probs best in audio/electrical forum... anyhow

$1199...

Easier to buy a smart phone or tablet, a car kit/cradle and a good single din head unit imo, probably cost less too. That's just me though as I don't see much point in head units like these as many devices offer same functions in a better form and faster with less ugly interfaces and selective choice to use them or not.

Only time these are really required is if you need them for a specific feature or function that can't really be achieved any other way or how you want it from another source as they're just too expensive for what they are.
      Yeah, because 2 channels of audio at 5w are fun.

Op, at that price, get a carputer.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Yeah, because 2 channels of audio at 5w are fun.

Op, at that price, get a carputer.
        More fun when they're connected together then the hassle of installing a pointless computer in your dash. There is realistic alternatives to OTT systems, not everyone wants/needs a professional 5.1 surround sound system in their car to listen to navigation and music/radio with.
        sigpic

Comment

lol 1100 for alpine go look at the phillips ced1700
          double din
          dvd
          usb/sd memory support
          bluetooth
          nav box expansion available
          front and rear rca out 4ch
          sub out
          reverse camera supported vi av in
          support for seperate screens via av out
          and more i can't think of it's a great unit and the only thing i can fault it on is taking 20 or so seconds to boot up
          the build it started as show and quickly turned into GO!

Mitsubishi service and electrical manuals hosted by me for you mitsi nuts

Originally posted by MOOG
          right next to my Silvia was an old Mitsubishi colt that had somehow managed to dodge the flames and was fine! absolutely perfect. every ugly panel of it. i could almost feel the Mitsubishi badge laughing at me and I've hated them ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Antz007x View Post
            More fun when they're connected together then the hassle of installing a pointless computer in your dash. There is realistic alternatives to OTT systems, not everyone wants/needs a professional 5.1 surround sound system in their car to listen to navigation and music/radio with.
            >Pointless

Yeah, 2TB of music and a fully customizable UI are pointless.

Also, philips? Are you kidding? Alpine is number one in double din quality. This guy...

Comment

unfortunately alpine aren't as far ahead of everything else as alot of people seem to think, phillips double din is quite decent, especially for the price, Alpine are still a great choice, and personally i would say are worth the $1,100 asking price, but there are plenty of options out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunchbox.inc View Post
                unfortunately alpine aren't as far ahead of everything else as alot of people seem to think, phillips double din is quite decent, especially for the price, Alpine are still a great choice, and personally i would say are worth the $1,100 asking price, but there are plenty of options out there...
                Oh, most certainly not worth $1100, no double din is ever worth what it costs, i mean, that's p99rs money. I have yet to see an alpine break, even a model from 1999 in my neighbors jeep still works, with the exception of an odd blown fuse once every year or so. I view philips as being about the same quality of panasonic or clarion, i just don't think they're anything special to be honest.

Comment

philips have always punched above their weight, great unit for minimal cost, nothing wrong with that, they fit in to the bigger picture exactly where they should...

but you starts the sentence with saying that the Alpine double din is not worth the $1,100 asking price, but then go on to say you've never had a problem with the alpine and are yet to see one break? i might just be easily confused but are you recommending the unit or not...?

the p99 is brilliant unit without a doubt, but the OP clearly wants an all in one Double Din unit... so the p99 isn't of any help there, as for an all in one unit, the W910 is a great unit, and worth the asking price...

Comment

For all to keep in mind: OP is from US, things are far less expensive here typically. What may be a steal for you is overcharging here. Carry on the pissing contest.
                    Originally posted by MOOG
                    Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
                    Originally posted by Jenga
                    You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lunchbox.inc View Post
                      philips have always punched above their weight, great unit for minimal cost, nothing wrong with that, they fit in to the bigger picture exactly where they should...

but you starts the sentence with saying that the Alpine double din is not worth the $1,100 asking price, but then go on to say you've never had a problem with the alpine and are yet to see one break? i might just be easily confused but are you recommending the unit or not...?

the p99 is brilliant unit without a doubt, but the OP clearly wants an all in one Double Din unit... so the p99 isn't of any help there, as for an all in one unit, the W910 is a great unit, and worth the asking price...
                      We must get units constructed in a different buildhouse then, rarely ever have i ever seen the HU's brands i listed last more than a year or two before some issue comes up. For example, the 3 year old clarion in my sisters 05' taurus, half the lighting for the buttons just didn't work, things like that are the issues i see with the brands i listed, and i've never seen one last very long, so i'm giving my opinion based on what i've seen. Also not a fan of low voltage on the preouts, but mehh, OP probably wont be concerned with that. I haven't heard of a philips unit lasting very long, most of them suffer some sort of software issue, i believe their construction is better than average, tho i haven't had one apart as of yet.

To the alpine thing, i could say that the GT86 is a great car then say that it isn't worth its price point, doesn't mean i'm contradicting myself.

Comment

i like the new sonys with mirrorlink and 5 volt preouts

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            >Pointless
                            Yeah, 2TB of music and a fully customizable UI are pointless.
                            Unless you sit behind it several hours of the day and wish to store entire musical library, then yeah. Not to mention I've yet to see any "carputer" with a customized and functional interface that can be used whilest driving easy and effectively compared to that of which is offered on mobile devices already in existence which on top of that are customizable too and can be hooked up to external storage if you're that way inclined...
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X