Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp ATR-924

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp ATR-924

Manufacturer / Brand: Sharp, Osaka (Hayakawa Electric Co.Ltd.)
    Year: 60's-70's???
    Category: Car radio.
    Semiconductors: 11
    Main principle: Super-Heterodyne (Super in general); ZF/IF 455 kHz
    Tuned circuits: 9 AM circuits, 11FM circuits
    Wave bands: Broadcast (BC) and FM or UHF
    Voltage: 6 / 12

I have this installed in my ford.
    It is apparently a japanese radio from the 60's or 70's..
    It picks up russian AM channels trough the AM setting in the radio and it works quite well. (yellow light for AM)
    But it doesn't play any sound when selecting FM setting in the radio. (Red light for FM)

I'm thinking it might be because in the 60's the FM signal was different than now.
    Can i use a FM converter of some type that i just put in between the radio antennae cable?
    Such as one of these:

To make it work for modern FM signal?

Do these boxes really work? Or do i have to solder and modify the radio somehow to make it work.
    All i want is to be able to play the modern FM radio in mono trough my one speaker in the front.
    Check out my Ford P5 1967 17M, And comment!

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

What are your current FM frequencies? 87-108MHz is a pretty standard range world-wide these days, those converters are usually used for JDM cars which only run the 76-95MHz band thus skipping most of the higher channels. Old-skool analogue radio potentiometers don't have the odd/even decimal step issue that digital tuners do either, which means that as long as the resolution on your pot is fine enough you'll pick up any frequency in that range regardless of decimal step.

If FM frequencies in your neck of the woods follow the global standard and you're still not picking up stations, I'd say there's an issue with either the tuner or the aerial.

Comment

So i'll have to pull the radio no matter what..

"The decisions you make, and the actions that follow. Are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post
        So i'll have to pull the radio no matter what..
        Most likely. Worth the effort though, it's a pretty cool old unit
        They say a dog is a man's best friend, but I don't even have enemies that would look me dead in the eye while sh*tting on my floor...

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post

Most likely. Worth the effort though, it's a pretty cool old unit
          Might as well pull it.. It doesn't really play anything worthwhile except for russian AM radio. Anyone know how to pull it out? Previous owner talked about pulling it backwards and dropping it out instead of the more modern pull the radio forwards.. Not sure since either way you need to pull out the knobs and remove the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSedan View Post

Might as well pull it.. It doesn't really play anything worthwhile except for russian AM radio. Anyone know how to pull it out? Previous owner talked about pulling it backwards and dropping it out instead of the more modern pull the radio forwards.. Not sure since either way you need to pull out the knobs and remove the plate.
            It's been years since I've worked with anything similar, but if I remember correctly a bit of disassembly is required (or at least makes it tons easier)
            They say a dog is a man's best friend, but I don't even have enemies that would look me dead in the eye while sh*tting on my floor...

Comment

There's a little burning smell to it when you flip it on so yeah it needs to be taken out and fixed.. If you can find any electrical drawings of it or any exploded view images, please let me know!

Comment

Sure, I'll dig around for you man

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X