Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio Install help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Install help

I recently installed a new audio system in my '86 toyota cressida. I spent about a grand and tried to do it all right the first time.

kicker 4inch ks series for the front, kicker 5x7/6x8inch rears. I also bought a slimline ported 10 inch kicker sub and box.

front/rear speakers are 75w rms and the sub is 300w rms.

i played some music through them (although not for too long, im also putting in a beefier alternator so it currently has no way to recharge the battery.)

the speakers were amazing. Mids were spot on and highs were great, especially since the fronts have such large tweeters.

bass was less than what i expected.
    granted, its a premade box with a relatively range sub.
    but it barely moves at all. I played around with the HPF and LPF and the bass sounds better from the 4 speakers than from the sub.

playing around with the gain and giving it a little more than it should need does nothing.

bonus photo of how i want the sub to sit once i mount the amp to the rear seats with a board of MDF

here are my specs, i hope you guys can help.

head unit: Kenwood DPX-5000BT (3 x 4v preouts)

amplifier: Pioneer GM-D9605 5 channel class D amp. (This alone set me back $400)

front speakers: Kicker KS Series 4inch 75w rms/150w peak 2-way speakers

rear speakers: Kicker CS Series 5x7/6x8inch 75w rms/225w peak 2 way speakers

subwoofer: Kicker 10 inch 300w rms 600w peak subwoofer

Read the sticky. Also watching Soundman.ca's how to stuff is much better than that guy from the fab kitchen... I emailed him once and still get spam... If you dont want to spend time with soundroom and sct or pay for analysis then I would get the data sheet for the sub then calculate the volume of the box minus the port. Also be careful of gain of any sort. The amp gain is essentially a volume knob. Dont max it but rather pay your radio at its loudest before it distorts then adjust your amp until it just clips a touch then bring it back a bit. That should put you in a ballpark. I am betting that box is way too small for that sub. Also account for how much space your port takes up if you have one.
    Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

It's a prefab box.
      kicker sells them, with their sub inside. I doubt they would sell a dodgy product like that, and they haven't.
      Gain is not a volume knob. Gain is set correctly as its a high voltage (4v) preout headunit.

the problem was, the head unit was set at 2-way crossover, not 3-way crossover. LPF crossover on the amp was also set wrong, since there is no indication of direction on a screw like that, it was directly opposite to what it should have been.

after finding and fixing the problem the sub is great. Does more than what i expected actually.

Comment

Well its not about it being a shitty product. I mean that I bet that box isn't exactly the right size for the sub and if you make one itll sound and fit better is all.

So I am actually interested in soething sitting next to your sub. I want to know about your multichannel amp.

Also the whole gain knob volume knob thing... I know what it is lol. I know how it works too. If I didnt theres no way I would open my mouth. But I cant help you on a screw being set to the wrong direction. I assumed that it was right. Thats why I suggested the box being the culprit for low bass output. I have too much volume in my doors for my Mcintosh 640's so they dont hit like they should. Having too little volume ( As in space) can really mess with you. I am glad you got it sorted and I am really curious about that amp.

I also almost forgot to ask about how staging sounds???
        Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X