Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to: Auto to manual pedal box E-Series Ford Falcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Auto to manual pedal box E-Series Ford Falcon

Since people liked my write up on the extractor install, I thought that I would post up my write up on the pedal box changeover from FordMods:

Originally posted by bry40l
    did you use an original clutch pedal box or a mal wood clutch pedal?
    Nope, used the original and the best.

Here's how I did it:

First disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. Then, remove the centre console:

Then remove the shroud from the steering column, undo the 2 nuts securing the steering column to the dash. Lower it to the floor.

Remove the 2 screws from the top of the radio surround and remove the surround:

Remove the handbrake trim panel and undo the nuts securing the handbrake bracket to the car and firewall. Lower handbrake to the floor:

Remove the sill panels and kick panels from the left and right hand sides:

Undo the screw securing the bonnet release cable to the dash. Withdraw rearwards and lower to the floor:

Undo the screws on the glovebox hinges. Remove glovebox from the car.

Working through the glovebox hole, disconnect the heater selector cable:

Undo the 2 allen screws from the dashboard extension panel and remove from the car:

Well, so it turns out my car was optioned with premium sound:

Disconnect the wiring for the tweeters (if fitted) and the dashboard earth wire. Undo the lower dash bolts and then get an assistant to help you with the next bit. Undo the top dash screws. Then, you should be able to pull the dash forward enough to suitably mark all of the wiring plugs and
    then disconnect them. You should then be able to swing the dash across and rest it on the driver's seat.

Undo the 5 nuts securing the pedal box to the firewall and brake booster. Remove the split pin from the brake pedal and slip the brake booster pushrod off the brake pedal. Then remove the 3 nuts holding the top of the pedal box to the firewall:

Then you should be able to take the blasted thing out.

Look mum, no brakes!

Here are the auto and manual pedal boxes side by side:

Refitting is a reverse of the removal. Or so they say. I had to "Get Custom" with a hammer to bend the top flange forward so it would fit. And there you are. Three pedals:

I hope it goes back together easily.

Thanks,

Evan.

And it did go back together nicely. Still there to this day.
    Current ride: EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. (Rebuilt EF goodness)

WOW! So much work just to change the pedal box!!
    sigpic

Comment

Are you going to put up the full install? Good work so far
      "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

"Lots of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more MORE is..."

My Ninja ZX10r
      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...ki-Ninja-ZX10R
      My Ute
      http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...-Falcon-XG-ute

Comment

Originally posted by kingtube69 View Post
        WOW! So much work just to change the pedal box!!
        I know right! It's only the 3 nuts at the top necessitate the removal of the dash. Most of the car is pretty easy to work on with some exceptions. I had to pull the engine to replace the sump.

Originally posted by Snowman
        Are you going to put up the full install? Good work so far
        Unfortunately, I didn't take many photos on the big day. You can find a guide here: http://www.fordmods.com/fordmods-tec...de-t42420.html

Faq's:

The driveshaft is the same for auto and manual.

If the car is 4 speed auto you will have to change the ECU to a manual equivalent or 'trick' it into thinking it's in neutral.

Speedo transducer is the same auto to manual.

Any e-series T5 will fit on any e-series. AU onwards has a 50mm longer extension housing.
        evxr6
        Frangipani
        Last edited by evxr6; 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM. Reason: FAQ'S

Comment

Originally posted by evxr6 View Post
          Faq's:

The driveshaft is the same for auto and manual.

If the car is 4 speed auto you will have to change the ECU to a manual equivalent or 'trick' it into thinking it's in neutral.

Speedo transducer is the same auto to manual.

Any e-series T5 will fit on any e-series. AU onwards has a 50mm longer extension housing.
          so in this, does that mean if you don't run the fuel injection.. like if you would convert a carby XF it would not have a ECU or engine computer so no need to trick the engine into thinking its an auto and in neutral? does that mean its just a bolt in job if its no fuel Injection? no wiring? right?

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkFart View Post
            so in this, does that mean if you don't run the fuel injection.. like if you would convert a carby XF it would not have a ECU or engine computer so no need to trick the engine into thinking its an auto and in neutral? does that mean its just a bolt in job if its no fuel Injection? no wiring? right?
            Correct. You don't have to fiddle with ECU's in the X-series. This is mainly because they have a fully hydraulically controlled automatic gearbox ie. not electronically controlled as in EAII onwards (4 speed BTR). In fact if you have a 3 speed EA or an EA with a separate TCM (transmission control module), you would not need to change ECU's as the ECU only controls the engine, not the trans as well.

Comment

Nice progress, I had recently changed from Auto to manual. Its very fulfilling putting the clutch in the first time and getting into gear.
              Performance Central - The Free Performance Car Classified < MCM Members - Your Support in Helping us Grow would be HUGELY Appreciated (even if its just a like on our facebook page )

Current Ride: 1998 Toyota Caldina GTT - 3sgte Wagon Goodness
              Exhaust/Electronics: 3" Blitz Turbo Back Exhaust, Blitz DSBC spec R Boost Controller
              Wheels/Brakes: 17"x7.5 +35 BIM Downhill Special Rims - EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads F/R
              Suspension: Largus Coilovers - Cusco Rear Sway Bar

Comment

on x series falcons you remove the steering column and swap over the pedal boxes, most E series owners use the malwood pin kit (its about $110 bucks) but at least you made the effort for the removing the dash, well done
                MARK_XF UTE
                Frangipani
                Last edited by MARK_XF UTE; 21-08-2013, 12:21 AM.
                Mark
                italian 100cc kart engine + 20,000 RPM......nuff said

Comment

Working...
                X