Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Closed Door Respray - Progress So Far & Questions We Have

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Closed Door Respray - Progress So Far & Questions We Have

Hey guys,

Today we started to sand back and prime the little Subaru Fiori.
    We've gotten that far and are left wondering whats the cheapest way to ad colour to the car?

Rattle cans? Rollers? Paintbrush? even considered the electric Ozito spray paint gun from bunnings
    its doesnt need to be pretty or perfect really just a fairly uniform red that will last the better part of a year

would really love to hear back from as many people as possible

*Yes we are both fully aware this isnt the right way to paint a car, its just for fun*

Originally posted by John_starr1999 View Post
    Hey guys,

Today we started to sand back and prime the little Subaru Fiori.
    We've gotten that far and are left wondering whats the cheapest way to ad colour to the car?

Rattle cans? Rollers? Paintbrush? even considered the electric Ozito spray paint gun from bunnings
    its doesnt need to be pretty or perfect really just a fairly uniform red that will last the better part of a year

would really love to hear back from as many people as possible

*Yes we are both fully aware this isnt the right way to paint a car, its just for fun*
    Okay so my experience of rolling paint on a car leaves bubbles so sharp you cut yourself on it! This also makes it hard to wash because it shreds the mitt or sponge lol

A brush will leave a textured finish.

It's probably cheaper to buy the little electric spray gun and paint - rather than rattle cans. expect dirt/dust to get into the paint but it'll be a good finish considering where you're spraying the car.

Buy some of that plastic dust sheet, it's dead cheap and you'll be able to mask off the whole bumper, wheels and windows so you won't end up with loads of specks of paint all over it.

One of my friends gets called Captain Overspray! hahahahaha so we know all about masking off properly now. it's worth it, even if it is only a bit of fun.
    Last edited by MartinObviously; 15-04-2018, 07:15 PM.
    They see me coalin', they hatin'.

Project Diesel Tune:

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...ct-diesel-tune

My new Daily HA36S Alto Works

Martin's Kei to success

https://forums.mightycarmods.com/for...uki-alto-works

Comment

Originally posted by MartinObviously View Post

Okay so my experience of rolling paint on a car leaves bubbles so sharp you cut yourself on it! This also makes it hard to wash because it shreds the mitt or sponge lol

A brush will leave a textured finish.

It's probably cheaper to buy the little electric spray gun and paint - rather than rattle cans. expect dirt/dust to get into the paint but it'll be a good finish considering where you're spraying the car.

Buy some of that plastic dust sheet, it's dead cheap and you'll be able to mask off the whole bumper, wheels and windows so you won't end up with loads of specks of paint all over it.

One of my friends gets called Captain Overspray! hahahahaha so we know all about masking off properly now. it's worth it, even if it is only a bit of fun.
      Thanks i'll look into it

Comment

Hey hey hey now.... One of your friends is a pro painter. Backyard and 100,000$ Booth...

What you want to do is borrow the biggest compressor you can. Dump out all of the air from the release valve at the bottom a few times this will drain the water. Go on aliexpress or whatever bargin site you can and buy a paint gun for 30 USD or abouts. Just make sure its a top feed. Then get some single stage enamel. It comes in any color and its great for off road because it is a bit soft and can be beat on without chipping. I painted 2 whole bumpers with a 100CC cup gun that cost 30$. It isnt amazing but itll kill any other paint job in quality. Also that paintjob will last a few years.

also lightly mist that slab you are working on with a hose. The wet floor keeps it all stuck down. Also it takes nothing to pull the rubber seals and use newspaper and tape to get inside the door jams. Paint all the weird areas with a light coat first. That way you can just blow your main paint job on worry free in a few passes. If you get a run stop painting it. Paint the other side or whatever and let the car dry then sand it down after that you can paint after a quick tack with either a real tack cloth or cheese cloth/ lint free cloth with a bit of alchahol on it. Isopropyl is fine for in between coats as it drys fast.

I also have to disagree with Martin but only slightly. Use newspaper for masking off like the pros do. The paint sticks to it better and theres less risk of specs coming unstuck and going into the paint. Also its like Christmas to unmask the car when its dry!!!

Bottom line. HAVE FUN!
        Permanent rev limiter = the crank popping out to say ELLO!!!!

Comment

i'd 100% use a gun, you've done the hard work priming it. even a basic single colour acrylic paint (not 2 pack cause it hurts the environment and your lungs) and just go for it! I did it a few times, first time sucked, 2nd time reasonable and now 3rd time i can get results that look reasonably good.
          Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
            i'd 100% use a gun, you've done the hard work priming it. even a basic single colour acrylic paint (not 2 pack cause it hurts the environment and your lungs) and just go for it! I did it a few times, first time sucked, 2nd time reasonable and now 3rd time i can get results that look reasonably good.
            thanks, I've investested in an ebay gun and a cheap aircompressor off gumtree. I'll post more picktures in a fortnights time when everything gets here
            also i decided red acrylic

Comment

have this to keep yourself entertained while i wait for my ebay stuff
              https://streamable.com/acz24

Comment

Working...
              X