Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 speed transmission swap on 2000 Legacy Wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed transmission swap on 2000 Legacy Wagon?

After watching the recent MCM episode where they 6 speed swapped Marty's STI, it occurred to me that I will need to do the same for my EZ30 swap on my '00 Legacy wagon. Got my eye on a box (plus diff, clutch set up and drive shaft) from an '07 Legacy Sedan on Facebook. It's done over 200,000kms but looks like it's been looked after and its going for a decent price. I have plans to turbo my EZ30 down the line so wanted to ask:

- Are the Legacy 6 speed boxes as bulletproof as the STI 6 speeds?
    - Should I be concerned the box I'm looking at has done more than 200,000 kms?
    - And finally, does anyone know how well the '07 box will fit to the '00 Legacy frame? Are they all pretty much the same even though they are different generations?

This is my first real build so really want to get it right. Any help will be much appreciated!
    Last edited by aidandrummond; 06-07-2020, 02:00 PM.

- Are the Legacy 6 speed boxes as bulletproof as the STI 6 speeds?
    Yes, but you'll have no speed output; you'll need to get the box modified slightly.

Should I be concerned the box I'm looking at has done more than 200,000 kms?
    KM's really don't break gearboxes very often, and since a Legacy is a 'family car' should be fine.
    If it's coming from a seller who seems like a "car guy" who might have thrashed it? Then I'd be worried.

And finally, does anyone know how well the '07 box will fit to the '00 Legacy frame? Are they all pretty much the same even though they are different generations?
    Pretty much. There will always be quibbles, I'm not confident enough to say if it needs the newer crossmember for exmaple; but most of it should be fine.
    What I can say for near certainty, is that it's possible to do without fabrication (besides the speed sensor).

Comment

Yes the gearbox will fit but you'll need to mix and match cross members and mounts to make it work.
      Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

Originally posted by Marty View Post
        Yes the gearbox will fit but you'll need to mix and match cross members and mounts to make it work.
        Heyyy the man himself;
        Yeah, we used to do a LOT of these at 3p garage; with clutches hand delivered by Geroge at least once :P haha.
        Thanks for confirming; I was pretty sure you needed the other crossmember.

Comment

Working...
        X