Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs Whiteline

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help dealing with your keys, locks or something in between? Ask me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help dealing with your keys, locks or something in between? Ask me!

MCM has helped me out a lot by inspiring me and showing me how to mod my truck, and as a way of giving back I'd like to offer help to any and all MCM forum members. As a Locksmith I deal with broken ignition switches, broken keys, common lock issues and everything else in between. So please feel free to ask me any questions you may have related to locks or keys or something in between. I'll do my best to answer your questions!
    2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 5 speed Having issues with your keys/ locks? click here: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...between-Ask-me!

I Have a 92 Subaru Liberty and the passenger rear door wont unlock with the central locking, I have to open it manually. All the other door unlock as they should.

Thanks James

Comment

Ohh, i'm going to take advantage of this.
      My car, being 21 years old, has a fairly worn key. It gives me problems when trying to open the boot and doors. Is there a way to make a 'new' key from the barrel?
      I've made replicas of the original key, but seeing as the original is worn, it's kinda pointless.
      Originally posted by ADowbs
      He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
      sigpic
      My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

@angry troll

listen and see if the lock makes noises when you try to unlock the door if so the electronic locking is more than likely okay and something could be jammed in there... you may have to disassemble the door panel and find the problem. here's a few things to try before you do that.... see if the window has trouble going up and down freely, check the manual locks inside the door see if they are tough to open (or at least tougher to open than the other doors) like any moving parts the linkage may have to be lubricated... If the lock makes no noise when you try to lock or unlock it electronically that suggests it maybe an electrical issue...if you have the door panel off check and make sure you have no frayed/ burnt wires check the plugs making sure it's a tight fit. it maybe the actuator that has the problem. let me know if you need more help figuring out the issue.
        2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 5 speed Having issues with your keys/ locks? click here: http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...between-Ask-me!

Comment

@ villain don't worry this is a common issue that's easily fixed! copying the key will not fix the problem...when you go to make a copy of a key that has trouble working you're just making another key that doesn't work (don't worry everyone has done it at least once!) most vehicles divide the door locks and the ignition switches into 2 halves of the key... meaning if you were to make a new key off the ignition switch it may not work the doors because your key does not have the information for the door locks. instead a much easier solution is to go to your local locksmith and ask them if they can originate a key from your worn key... in Oklahoma we call it "decoding a key" basically the locksmith will take your worn out key place it in their "originator" key machine figure out the proper depths and cut you a brand new key to the factory standards this is much easier than replacing the locks and ending up one key for the ignition and one key for the door locks hope that helps! btw we charge $45 USD to do that... hopefully that will be an accurate quote for Australia lol also bring your car along so the Locksmith can try the key out right then and there and be sure to go to a locksmith to get your keys made it only takes millimeters of incorrect depths of the cuts to prevent a key from working!
          Last edited by Peter25; 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hey Peter, sounds good to get some advice.

My 1991 Integra doesn't have remote locking. When I lock/unlock it from the driver's side door, I hear a noise go "tik tik tik" and it kind of sounds like a machine gun or something from a helicopter. dadada. Hard to describe without making the noise. It doesn't occur when unlocking from the passenger side. And it appears to come FROM the passenger side.

It's loud enough to be heard from across a street. Thoughts?

Peace.

Comment

Thanks Peter! Exactly what i was hoping to hear. $45 in the US means it'll be something like $90 in Australia.
              Thanks again. Informative and helpful.
              Originally posted by ADowbs
              He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
              sigpic
              My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

@Khala

refer to the comment i posted to angry troll... I would think something is jammed. some WD-40 lube on the moving parts of the linkage may fix it right up if the problem persists closely inspect the actuator for the locks see if something just isn't right.

Comment

Originally posted by villain View Post
                  Thanks Peter! Exactly what i was hoping to hear. $45 in the US means it'll be something like $90 in Australia.
                  Thanks again. Informative and helpful.
                  anytime! let me know if you have any more questions always here to help!

Comment

Thankyou Peter. Just to clarify, it does unlock when I do this. It's no major issue just something that's always made me curious.

Comment

@ khala

Could be a miniature helicopter in your door panel. lol just kidding I would try lubricating it see if the noise goes away it might just need some liquid love... if it gets worse I would check it out just to make sure it doesn't break anything.

Comment

Thank you very much i will try what you said

Comment

My ignition key (one of those early coded and stupidly expensive ones) works perfectly... But, I only have one. I forked out over $100 AUD to get a new key cut from my existing key (which works perfectly in the ignition) and the freshly cut one catches on something when going in/out of the ignition. Its a weird feeling. I've since stopped using said key, and am just using my old one.
                          Now drives a girl's car
                          Originally posted by ThePossum
                          Furious masturbation, the cure to all life's problems, passes time nicely too.
                          Originally posted by Squirt
                          And BIGZED, phwoar. He is 1 cheeky kunt m8. I could easy wrek him 1v1.
                          Originally posted by LikeABoss
                          Welcome to the bogan side, heres your complimentary can of VB, a kick to mouth to remove most of your teeth and a makita angle grinder for that extra low.

Comment

How about how to open up my little central locking remote, there are no screws and I've tried prying it open to no success. Using my key sucks! Also, very rarely, when I do unlock my car, sometimes none of the other doors will unlock, but only randomly. 1997 Toyota Carib!
                            Current: 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, 1997 Toyota Sprinter Carib Z-Touring
                            Past: 1988 Toyota Corolla GL, 1991 Mitsubishi Mirage GLX, 1993 Mazda MX-6 J-Spec, 1991 Mazda Familia BG, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant GTI
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BIGZED View Post
                              My ignition key (one of those early coded and stupidly expensive ones) works perfectly... But, I only have one. I forked out over $100 AUD to get a new key cut from my existing key (which works perfectly in the ignition) and the freshly cut one catches on something when going in/out of the ignition. Its a weird feeling. I've since stopped using said key, and am just using my old one.
                              hey bigzed this could be a few different things but from what you described since the key is newly cut it may have some ridges that need to be filed down (this can happen when you have an ORIGINATED key). I highly recommend that you leave it alone because if you file in the wrong spot you can forget about that key working. I recommend going to a locksmith they would be able to give you a better idea of what is going on with the key.

Comment

Working...
                              X