Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supercharging 1.0L 3-cylinder engine?... How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharging 1.0L 3-cylinder engine?... How?

I have a 2011 Suzuki alto and I've been trying to find out if I'm able to supercharge it.It is only 50kw at the moment and slows right down up hills. The engine specs are 50kw 1.0L 998cc 3-cylinder twin cam. I wouldn't know what surcharger to buy and I don't want to blow up my engine (understandably) either. Any suggestions would be great thanks*
    Attached Files

Check out The-Mighty-Mira It will be a long slow process. I think you would be better at looking at an engine swap or just thrashing the crap outa it on the hills.
    Jeep XJ Build Album - The Jeep in Action.
    Nissan Stagea 25X. - Thread

Comment

Supercharging 1.0L 3-cylinder engine?... How?

I have a 2011 Suzuki alto and I've been trying to find out if I'm able to supercharge it.It is only 50kw at the moment and slows right down up hills. The engine specs are 50kw 1.0L 998cc 3-cylinder twin cam. I wouldn't know what surcharger to buy and I don't want to blow up my engine (understandably) either. Any suggestions would be great thanks*
      Attached Files

Comment

Eaton TVS R410 should be about the right size, not sure if it is out yet because their website says "not available at this time"
        For all I know they could have cancelled production altogether.

You would need an aftermarket intake manifold with integrated water to air inter-cooler to go with it.

Another easier option is a small centrifugal supercharger, but they don't deliver the mid range that a positive displacement supercharger would.
        Originally posted by MOOG
        Volvo is turbo and proper mad.
        Originally posted by Jenga
        You see, when a piston, block, crankshaft, and some fuel and air all love each other very, very much.....

Comment

Re: Supercharging 1.0L 3-cylinder engine?... How?

Why did you make 2 threads for the same thing?

Whenever you are adding any kind of psi to your car you will need to look at upgrading your fuel delivery and also possibly upgrading your ecu
          Before MCM build thread
          'Pajero 4WD Club' - 1985 NB SWB Carb to EFI conversion

MCM Build Threads
          DrLui's 2001 Toyota Hilux SR5
          1985 NB SWB with a TN Magna EFI conversion (soon MegaSquirt ECU and Turbo)
          1990 Toyota Celica SX Track Car

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6w3L8w5NyM

Comment

why would u buy a 50kw car...
            2002 Black Holden Commodore VX SERIES 2 S PACK

Comment

And remember any of that will instantly void your warrenty!
              Current na-t supra making 350 ish, 8.7 second 1/8th mile
              500hp na-t build in the works

TURBO HIPSTER- was turbocharging N/A cars before it was cool

Comment

Legally supercharging a 2011 model car in Australia is 99.99 percent impossible (because emissions standards for them are mega strict). It'd be possible to bolt the supercharger on, find a new ECU for it, tune it and make it all run well... But it'd take a fair bit of work. With newer engines you also have a lot more sensors to deal with compared to older cars...

I'd say it's possible, but it wouldn't be worth it unless you really wanted to go through the learning experience. If you want to go fast with minimal effort, buying a faster car is always the best option.

EDIT: Wait, why is this in the audio section, and why is there an identical thread in tech talk? Could one of the mods merge these please?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Wondering what happened to the Mighty Mira? Check out the (mostly completed) build Here

Next up: Project Vevo - The Van Evo
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I don't think supercharging is a good option for your, since as you said it's power output is very low, a supercharger will have to use some of that power in order to make more power..
                  A turbo setup wouldn't have this problem and small turbos that are suitable for your car are cheap and can be easily found. < That's only if you have ample room though, if not then disregard and go supercharger
                  "My rexy brings all the girls to the yard, and they're like fully sick brah, damn right, it can beat any car, I can drive you, but I'll have to charge"

My daily

http://forums.mightycarmods.com/show...RX-Club-Spec-8

Comment

I made 2 of the same post because I accidentally put the first one in the wrong category. I bought the car because it was cheap, efficient and new. As you can see in the picture there isn't much space which is why I'm leaning towards super instead of turbo. I just need something small enough to fit in that won't blow my engine to pieces. I was thinking maybe even a bike supercharger...

Comment

I don't mind if it's illegal. It's a brand new car (don't worry about warranty) so I don't really wanna buy a new one. It's not a bad car just needs a lot more power. I've cut the intake and out a k&n in and put in a wider exhaust pipe but obviously that still doesn't do very much. There's probably not enough room for a turbo so I was thinking super might work. My bad about the 2 threads I screwed up and put this one in the wrong section.

Comment

Well, pretty much any engine can be super/turbocharged.
                        It just depends on how much money you are willing to put in.

Just remember that the smaller the displacement, the lower the gains will be. Is it really worth it?

Anyway, you'd need a supercharger or turbo. THat Eaton that FortKid shows should be about right. An M45 would also be a good idea, I think. (usually used as turbo-lag anti-measure on big engines, I believe)
                        Either an intercooler or a charge cooler (water-air cooling).
                        Bigger fuelpump.
                        Bigger injectors.
                        Fuel Pressure Regulator.
                        Fabricate a turbo manifold or a mount for the supercharger.
                        A fitting belt if you run a supercharger and some pulleys and tensioners.
                        Blow-off/bypass valve if you run a turbo.
                        All kinds of plumbing. Extra oil, water and air piping.
                        Possibly an oil cooler and a bigger radiator. (more power => more heat, needs to be cooled)
                        Bigger brakes. Who goes quick should be able to stop quick.
                        Better tires. More power needs more grip, else you'll just be doing donuts all the time.
                        Possibly chassis strengthening. I've seen cars being torn apart over time by their engines (usually engine upgrade projects, trackwidth that increases by 5cm over a year)

Then it might also be smart to think about wether the engine can take the power.
                        Stronger conrods, forged pistons, etc. Compression may need to be lowered.
                        That will require the engine to be taken apart completely. Expensive business...

Then the ECU might need a map, but I think it'll come down to a completely new ECU. I don't think your original ECU will be able to keep up, tbh...
                        Thats another $2000...

Yes, you might end up at 80-90kw, wich is an awefull lot for a 1liter 3cyl engine.
                        But is that really worth all the effort and money? You'd be better off buying a second, faster car. Would be cheaper...
                        Not to mention that it may eventually blow up. Lifespan usually goes down pretty hard when doing this kind of thing.
                        And you won't have manufacturers warranty anymore....

Anyway, if you are really set on doing this, use a turbo.
                        Like Potato said, superchargers use some engine power to pre-compress the air for the engine, wich lowers the net gain.
                        Turbo's use wasteproducts (e.g. exhaustgasses) to pre-compress air.

Edit:
                        Just as an exta note: If you were able to do this all on your own, it might be financially possible.
                        You'd shell out 4 to 5 grand to do this.
                        When you can't, and have specialty shops do it for you, you're gonna get an enormous bill for all the work hours. About 10 grand on top of the 5 grand for parts sounds about right.
                        I think you can buy a second Suzuki Alto for that money...

And we haven't talked about getting defected for it... Always a risk on a DIY job...
                        Last edited by McKaamos; 18-09-2012, 05:33 PM.
                        1994 Opel Calibra 2,0 8v - Loud pipes save lives
                        1994 Opel Corsa B 1,6 16v GSi - Even louder pipes save even more lives!

Comment

McKaamos hit the nail on the head. Minus the stronger engine internals, that's a pretty good list of what I've had to do for my engine.

Wondering what happened to the Mighty Mira? Check out the (mostly completed) build Here

Next up: Project Vevo - The Van Evo

Comment

yea dude, trade it in for a swift and enjoy. i drive a turbo supra daily and i still enjoy jumping into the current model swift!
                            Current na-t supra making 350 ish, 8.7 second 1/8th mile
                            500hp na-t build in the works

TURBO HIPSTER- was turbocharging N/A cars before it was cool

Comment

Yeah I might just wait for a ford ecoboost engine to come out and drop that in maybe. Still a long time before I can afford a new car though and I've already done a fair bit to this so getting rid of its gonna be hard haha my first car I dunno how well I'd cope but yeah those ecoboosts have a turbo built in and they're still 1.0l 3 cylinders at 92kw so that's pretty nifty

Comment

Working...
                              X