Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo [How To]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unicyclingsurfer
    replied
    lol cfm goofy american

Leave a comment:

• sheepshagger
    replied
    bump.

Leave a comment:

• ThePossum
    replied
    cracking thread Alex, great write up I'll be saving the like to paste into the next "lololol im on p's how do I turbo my rust bucket in 3 years" thread.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderB
    replied
    Originally posted by villain View Post
    It wasn't hard but for a newbie, it might be.
    I had to search 'turbo' and 'non-turbo' and refine it to title only.

Needless to say 98% of the posts were in video suggestions but then i found this one.
    It was way at the bottom which was one of the reasons i decided to bump it.
    Ah.
    Well, good that you did.. Maybe I should have tagged it better..?

If they don't sticky it, i may have to link this thread in my sig.
    Sure, go ahead.

Leave a comment:

• villain
    replied
    It wasn't hard but for a newbie, it might be.
    I had to search 'turbo' and 'non-turbo' and refine it to title only.

Needless to say 98% of the posts were in video suggestions but then i found this one.
    It was way at the bottom which was one of the reasons i decided to bump it.

If they don't sticky it, i may have to link this thread in my sig.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderB
    replied
    Bumping this because i was about to write the same thing but actually used the search feature which so many users have forgotten about.
    Good job searching, was it easy to find?

May i also request that this thread be stickied?
    I tried, but they don't want a forest of stickies at the top of the forum, so that probably isn't going to happen..

Leave a comment:

• villain
    replied
    Bumping this because i was about to write the same thing but actually used the search feature which so many users have forgotten about.

May i also request that this thread be stickied?

Leave a comment:

• mfyoung1086
    replied
    You can always do things the good old fashioned way and install a rising rate FPR until you can properly tune the car

Actually I've known some people to run off a RRFPR only... its generally the euro community who have bosch DME III and under as they didn't use a crank sensor (meaning the MS conversion is harder)

Its not the most efficient way of tuning but you can usually get your AFR to stay out of the danger to manifold zone

Leave a comment:

• Dangerzone3
    replied
    Great post man!

Leave a comment:

• ThePotatoSmasher
    replied
    Originally posted by AlexanderB View Post
    Is it really? In theory, if you double the absolute pressure at the throttle plate @ wide open, given a good enough intercooler to have the air at the same temperature in both cases, double the amount of air will go through. Add double the fuel, get double the power.
    In a perfect world it would be true, but unfortunately it isn't meaning you can never get that efficiency. An Awesome write up though

Leave a comment:

• Banana_booster
    replied
    This should be stickied to prevent newcomers to the forum from starting their own thread in regards to this. Not many of them use the so-called search function.

Leave a comment:

• Bewsted
    replied
    Originally posted by AlexanderB View Post
    Is it really? In theory, if you double the absolute pressure at the throttle plate @ wide open, given a good enough intercooler to have the air at the same temperature in both cases, double the amount of air will go through. Add double the fuel, get double the power.

In reality, things might indeed not work out so well, a poorly functioning intercooler, having to reduce mechanical compression and timing all kill off a lot of power, but hey, thats where tuning in the true meaning of the word comes in, improving those things so you do get the power. Also, if the mechanical compression was quite low to start with and no reduction is required for the desired boost level, the power gain might be bigger than expected indeed..

Yeah, I guess you are right, but as an order-of-magnitude rule of thumb, it probably works still works?
    No need to run 2 bar of boost to get only 50% increase, or vice versa..

Exactly.

Yeah, way easy indeed.
    Also, thats why I recommended swapping in a complete turbo engine if one is availible..
    Different turbos have different cfms, and therefore more or less power at the same psi. But the double fuel/air= double power makes sense. At least with the low boost you would run on an N/A, as there are diminishing returns.

But awesome write up. +1 indeed

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Great post, rep points coming your way

Leave a comment:

• Pimp_Daddy_Patty
    replied
    I always recommend the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It helped me get started on building my own turbocharged vehicle. This led to me building another 25. Cost me too much money and 3 girlfriends. Now I get paid to design and build turbo engines.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bewsted View Post
    Great post for someone interested in this, however:

[...]

is completely false. Every engine reacts differently to positive pressure (boost). One engine may gain 50 HP and another 75 and yet another 25. There are too many factors to even begin to get an idea or rule of thumb.

Just keep that in mind. Everything else looks good.

In reality, things might indeed not work out so well, a poorly functioning intercooler, having to reduce mechanical compression and timing all kill off a lot of power, but hey, thats where tuning in the true meaning of the word comes in, improving those things so you do get the power. Also, if the mechanical compression was quite low to start with and no reduction is required for the desired boost level, the power gain might be bigger than expected indeed..

Yeah, I guess you are right, but as an order-of-magnitude rule of thumb, it probably works still works?
    No need to run 2 bar of boost to get only 50% increase, or vice versa..

Oh, and you need A LOT OF MONEY. Think you have enough? Double it.
    Exactly.

Its 1000000000 times easier (and cheaper!) to tune and upgrade a car that came with a turbo from the factory.
    Yeah, way easy indeed.
    Also, thats why I recommended swapping in a complete turbo engine if one is availible..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X