Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Supercharger Install + Testing + Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT WORKS!! See my site for the update. I'll post the data tomorrow. Now it's time to drink beer and watch playoff hockey.
    sigpic

Comment

Well done for getting results.

Just for a bit of Lols and bucket maths
      For every 14.7psi you can force into the engine, you add half your horsepower (in general).
      So at peak you're adding 17%, at taper, 6%.
      These aren't hard and fast numbers, so dyno it.
      sigpic

Comment

Actually, I would think that for every 14.7 psi, if not for inefficiencies and what not, you'd be closer to doubling hp, not adding half. That's 1 bar over standard pressure, which means you're feeding TWICE as much air into the engine as normal.

My M45 was designed to add about 5 psi and was rated as adding 50 hp to my engine, which is rated for 150 hp stock.

Of course, if you actually add that much psi to an engine, the real result is probably to just blow it up. But if you do all the proper mods to handle that much boost, you should theoretically double the power.

I posted the data on my site, and if anyone is near Toronto and wants to see it, I've arranged for a meet on Wednesday night.
        sigpic

Comment

Sooooo.. I see your results. nice!

But..

I was right. E-motor needs about 5x more power, 1.8 PSI at redline is a bit... small.. for my taste.

Then again, if it has 5x more power in the motor and batteries and controller, it would be stupidly expensive, and probably heavier than a regular M45 supercharger, which you can also get with a magnet clutch to get that boost-button feel..
          Modifying is a lifestyle!
          Originally posted by milkchicken
          Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

For someone who just wants to add it to their car with no other mods though, the boost level is about perfect. Don't discount the 5psi it's pushing at lower rpm's. There's not a lot of mods out there that don't cost several thousand dollars and give a result that's so obvious.

heh... I don't mean to sound like a salesman for the thing... but I really am impressed at the end result. This thing is good fun!
            sigpic

Comment

i got nothing to contribute to this conversation im just here to say nice ld9 paired with a m45, i think ive seen you on jbody.org

Comment

Thanks! I've been there since the beginning of time. If you spent much time there back in the day, maybe you can vouch for my credibility a bit.
                sigpic

Comment

ive only been on jbo since about 09, but i would like to see some dyno graphs from that fire cause if i remember correctly it should be putting down 195whp stock with the sc so if your electric turbo works it would be cool

Comment

Well there you go, that's awesome you got some actual results from it. I'd be keen to get into contact with Rob and perhaps see if I could also give this a go. After looking into electric superchargers for so long, I'm very excited about this aswell.

Could you provide the original data? I'd like to do a graph of time vs boost, TPS and rpm if I could... the number's don't mean a whole lot to me, but the fact you're getting positive numbers in the boost column is awesome.

A guy I know owns a dyno, so I would be in a position to do some thorough testing if I could get my hands on one. The only thing that concerns me now is the longevity of the bearings in the motor. But I guess if the motor is designed to operate at that RPM, theoretically there shouldn't be an issue...
                    Last edited by Jenga; 07-05-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I've got one set of tests left to do on the big blower, and then I'm going to invite Rob to come in and deal with all the questions about price and availability and more technical questions himself.

When I agreed to do the testing, and he was ok with me blogging throughout the process rather than just putting up one big summary at the end, I asked him not to get involved until I was done. We're just about there now, so after these last tests I think it will be good to open up the floor to him and you guys can have at it. Hopefully most of the questions have been answered already and at least he can join the conversation with my conclusions already in place so he's not just hit with an onslaught of "NO WAY DOES THIS WORK YOU'RE A SCAMMER LOLZ" responses.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey... question for you guys.

In my post about tomorrow's meet, someone mentioned running with the belt removed from the supercharger. Frankly, it never occurred to me to think about that since I've disabled it with the bypass, but if people don't believe that's working or something, I figure... what the heck... if I can fit a stock sized belt on there then maybe I can give it a shot. There's a new idler pulley that may be in the way, but if it's not an issue then maybe it's worth doing.

It's occurred to me, however, that having the belt removed will allow the supercharger to just spin freely and that could be a bad thing. I know it spins awfully fast when being driven, but does anyone know whether it's possible that it could spin TOO fast without the engine to hold it in check and perhaps damage bearings or anything? It seems unlikely... but I'm certainly not going to put my M45 at risk just to further prove something I think is already demonstrated.

Anyone know anything about this?
                        sigpic

Comment

M45 isn't spun by airflow, it has a bypass valve for that. Its only spun by the belt, without a belt, it will sit still.
                          Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

Good to know. Thanks man!
                            sigpic

Comment

Eh, let me rephrase that, the M62 had an automatic internal bypass and stopped spinning on its own if you disengaged the magnetic clutch on it, you said you have an external bypass in place, as long as thats open, and you remove the belt drive, it shouldn't spin in the airflow.

Comment

The bypass is internal to the blower. I'm not quite sure what you mean by external vs. internal. It's built-in and vacuum-actuated.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X