Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Supercharger Install + Testing + Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    The only big unanswered question that I have in regard to all this is about how different engines will respond to boost. I've shown that this thing creates boost, but I can't even begin to suggest that any particular engine will take advantage of it or not have issues because of it. As Rob moves from engineering this stuff to actually selling it, I imagine he'll be doing tests on all sorts of different cars before making it available for them, but that's all out of my hands.
    All modern EFI engine respond the same way to boost. They make more power. They amount of boost you can use is determined on the strength of the components, the flexibility of the factory ecu, and the factory compression ratio. You can turbo a lawnmower and it will make more power. The point is, unless we see dyno evidence of this e-tubo making boost and increasing power on a N/A car, we will remain skeptical.
    08 Impreza 2.5I: STI suspension swap, TurboXS catback, K&N Filter.
    93 Honda Civic LSi, D15B2, Headerback Exhaust, Coilovers, Rear Lower CA, Hybrid Intake, 17" Alloys

Comment

Sorry guys... I gave it the ol' college try and bought a stock sized belt and tried to fit on and it just wouldn't go on. They had a 475K5 and a 480K5 listed as for my car. I tried the 480K5 and it wouldn't make it around the extra idler pulley. I went in to see if they had a 490K5, which may have done it, but they had it listed in their system (so it exists) but didn't have any in stock. You're just gonna have to believe the number.

What I DID do, as my final bit of testing before the car goes away, is run both the small and big e-blowers WITH the M45 with the new 2.7" pulley on it, and then ran it with the stock intake. I've got a bunch of things to do today, but I'll try to post those logs up tonight or tomorrow.

Some of the guys on the Mazda forum got to drive it. Go look there to see what they thought.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...rger!!-)/page5
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
        Sorry guys... I gave it the ol' college try and bought a stock sized belt and tried to fit on and it just wouldn't go on. They had a 475K5 and a 480K5 listed as for my car. I tried the 480K5 and it wouldn't make it around the extra idler pulley. I went in to see if they had a 490K5, which may have done it, but they had it listed in their system (so it exists) but didn't have any in stock. You're just gonna have to believe the number.
        Order the belt... Or even get a tape measure (the ones suit-fitters use) and measure how long the belt needs to be to make sure you get the right one. One of the things I'm consistently hearing from others (outside of MCM) is that the SC shouldn't be spinning at all to ensure it isn't skewing the numbers. I don't know a massive amount about belt-driven SC's, but I think it's a valid request if you want to truly validate your data.

Did I miss something in your previous posts about your car going away?

Comment

An alternative, remove the electric supercharger, and leave the M45 bypassed the way you have.
          Do a few runs and log what happens under these conditions.

It won't be exactly the same, but it should give a few numbers to look at?

I've seen pictures of you with it removed so it shouldn't be too difficult and will save you stuffing around with the belt (at least for now).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenga View Post
            Order the belt... Or even get a tape measure (the ones suit-fitters use) and measure how long the belt needs to be to make sure you get the right one. One of the things I'm consistently hearing from others (outside of MCM) is that the SC shouldn't be spinning at all to ensure it isn't skewing the numbers. I don't know a massive amount about belt-driven SC's, but I think it's a valid request if you want to truly validate your data.

Did I miss something in your previous posts about your car going away?
            Yeah... the car is now put away. I only had a 10 day permit to have it on the street, so I did as much as I could with the time I had. I was only trying to remove the belt just to get rid of that last bit of doubt a few people here have. Honestly, I think all the data I've collected shows without a doubt the benefit this is providing. If this testing had happened 5 years ago back when the j-body scene was still roaring, it would have been easier. People in that scene knew me well and know what an honest person I am. Here and now... if all the data I've posted isn't enough for you... well... there's really nothing more I can do now.

Originally posted by mikey_something View Post
            An alternative, remove the electric supercharger, and leave the M45 bypassed the way you have.
            Do a few runs and log what happens under these conditions.

It won't be exactly the same, but it should give a few numbers to look at?

I've seen pictures of you with it removed so it shouldn't be too difficult and will save you stuffing around with the belt (at least for now).
            I've done these tests already and posted the data logs! Last night I did 3 final tests before putting the car away. I cut the bypass and ran with the M45 and the stock intake tube, with the small blower, and with the big blower. I'll get the data posted soon.

Sometime in the future my friends and I are going to put it on an RSX Type-S to see how that goes, but I don't have a timeline for that now.

After all the tests I've run and the results I've felt and logged, I do declare that I have no doubt at all in my mind that the dynos and what not that Rob has posted are completely legit. Hopefully in the near future people get a chance to actually buy a kit and more real-world experiences come to light.
            sigpic

Comment

Installed Electric Supercharger

Confused my data.

Lets try again. Am I reading this wrong.
              In this set of data: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/...ock-Intake.xls
              You are using ONLY the supercharger with its bypass fully open?

And in this one: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/...all-Blower.xls
              Same as before but with E-Charger also?

Comparing that side by side it just seems pretty obvious to me?

You're still making 7psi by redline with just the charger and bypass open.

At 2200rpm, on just the charger you make 4psi
              With the e-charger you get 9psi. But what if we remove the charger all together? I don't think the e-charger makes 5 pounds on its own. It won't overcome that initial airflow need.

And at redline with the full setup you're making LESS pressure than with the charger on its own with the bypass open. Doesn't this indicate that after about 5500rpm the e-charger is actually a restriction?
              Last edited by mikey_something; 13-05-2013, 10:48 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm completely confused by what you've just said. Are you suggesting that the blower is taking me from -11 to -2 psi? Where I'm from we call that "opening the throttle". That's meant as a joke but seriously..
                I think you misunderstand what's happening there or just aren't explaining your thoughts very well on it. Please elaborate.
                Last edited by Wild Weasel; 13-05-2013, 08:23 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I'll do a much better write-up of my thoughts and conclusions later in the week, but I posted the final data logs from yesterday. Enjoy!

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturboTest.aspx
                  sigpic

Comment

Installed Electric Supercharger

I shouldn't type early in the morning.
                    I edited that post, have another read and discuss. Apologies.

Trust me mate, I want this to work for you. But I am also after solid proof. Which is basically going to have to be removal of the supercharger or a different car.

Your data reflects that even with the big blower it's barely doing more than ease the strain of the open bypass on the charger.

Right now the E-Charger is the hero that the modding community deserves, but not the one it needs right now. And so we'll test it. Because it can take it. Because its not a substitute for conventional Forced Induction. It's a helping hand, a valiant effort... A Dark E-Charger.
                    Last edited by mikey_something; 13-05-2013, 10:58 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's mostly right. The small blower is a restriction at higher rpm with the M45 working. The blower just can't keep up. It IS providing the extra 5 psi at low rpm though. So you wouldn't want the small blower in that scenario. The big one DOES keep up though. That's the one I'll be keeping on the car. If I didn't have the M45 then I'd keep the smaller one on. Even though it doesn't provide as much boost at higher rpms, it's more fun though the rev ranges you use most.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't have access to update my website from work, but I thought you guys would like these. Sorry about the quality... the forum made me really reduce the size to upload them.

BoostVsRPM-M45-Disabled.gif

BoostVsRPM-M45-Enabled.gif
                        sigpic

Comment

some one plz put a kids jumping castle pump in there car. They move a huge amount of air and you can get them cheap. For a pump and converter to run it you're looking at less then $200

Comment

Originally posted by ricky_191 View Post
                            some one plz put a kids jumping castle pump in there car. They move a huge amount of air and you can get them cheap. For a pump and converter to run it you're looking at less then $200
                            Unfortunately, you won't get the compression you want. What you need is the motor from a portable tire inflator. Those things can make HUGE psi!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

At 0 flow. :P
                              Modifying is a lifestyle!
                              Originally posted by milkchicken
                              Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderB View Post
                                At 0 flow. :P
                                OH!! Now you want FLOW?? Hmph! Guess you'll have to pick up one of these FTS blowers once they're available then.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X