Super Cheap Auto Castrol Edge Michelin Go Fast Bits Shannons Insurance Haltech Ryobi Century Batteries WD-40 KYB NTK NGK Spark Plugs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Supercharger Install + Testing + Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some more data to post... these are the elapsed time in seconds to do the 3rd gear pull in each scenario. You can take these numbers with a bit of a grain of salt as I couldn't begin to guess what slight variations there may have been among the different runs. All the runs were done on a highway onramp but where on the ramp I mashed the pedal could have been different so acceleration could have been affected a bit differently by gravity in each case. That said... the numbers are still quite telling!

First, with the M45 disabled:

Runtime-M45-Disabled.gif

Second, with the M45 enabled:

Runtime-M45-Enabled.gif

It's worth noting that, on it's own, the small blower did about the same as the M45 did on it's own.
    Last edited by Wild Weasel; 15-05-2013, 03:44 AM. Reason: Wording the last sentence...
    sigpic

Comment

You've messed up a bunch of labels there.
      M45 disabled should read
      M45 bypass tied open but still generating boost...

You upset me sir.
      I really wish you'd put this on a different car or remove the belt before calling this a success...
      sigpic

Comment

I tried to remove the belt at the last moment... but couldn't make it. And I will be putting it on an RSX sometime over the next few months, but that's just for fun for me and my friends. I'll probably put it on a 2.3L Mazda3 as well. Obviously I'll post up the results of those on my website, but there's no timeline for that.

The data logged with the M45 bypass tied shows that it makes barely any boost at all. You just have to understand how the bypass works and believe what I'm saying. Someone mentioned a while back that their turbo still makes boost with the wastegate stuck open... but that's an entirely different concept. A wastegate limits the speed of a turbo, but so long as the turbo is turning it will generate boost. The M45 is not like that. When the bypass opens, it's basically opening up the intake to both sides of the rotors, so there's no closed area to generate boost in. The M45 doesn't internally compress air. It moves air from a larger volume on one side to a smaller volume on the other without allowing any to escape back. The bypass opens that side up. The slight amount of boost you see at high rpm (like... 0.2 lbs?) is just from it acting like a big fan and blowing air into the intake.

Now... even if you're still not convinced that it's not contributing... you HAVE to be impressed by the result of the e-blower and M45 working together to sustain over 8 psi all the way through the rpm range!

Hey... it's working good enough that I'm keeping it on my car. So that says something, right?
        sigpic

Comment

*shrug*
          You're talking to someone who does maths and physics all day and thoroughly enjoys experiments. I just want proven results through repeatability in different setups.
          sigpic

Comment

Well... I had a hypothesis that if I tied open the bypass on the M45, that it would prevent it from causing any appreciable boost. To test my hypothesis I devised an experiment whereby I would measure the boost created in its normal untied state and then repeat the procedure changing only the variable of the tying open of the bypass valve.

The results are posted above and confirmed my original hypothesis.

Science!
            sigpic

Comment

Joking aside... I did the best I could in the time I had. I promise I'll post the results from the RSX when the time comes.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                Joking aside... I did the best I could in the time I had. I promise I'll post the results from the RSX when the time comes.
                At the end of the day, that's all you can do. It's a bummer you couldn't do further tests to get a rock solid answer, but that's how it is.

I look forward to seeing the results from the next bunch of tests.

Comment

Couple things worth noting. Firstly, I've packed up the blowers and will be sending them back to Rob tonight. He's going to look over the little one to see whether there was any impact to it from the abuse I subjected it to, running it with the M45. I didn't have any issues with it, but I guess he just wants to give it a once-over. For the big one, he's working on a lighter compressor wheel for it. I'm interested in seeing whether I can feel the difference. I have no idea how to "measure" this but you recall me mentioning that the smaller one felt snappier.

Secondly... I'm wondering whether there's anyone out there with a non-restrictive intake (pretty much any performance-oriented car) that has an OBD scanner and can log data. If you wouldn't mind, I'd really like you to go out and do a WOT pull in 3rd gear from under 2000 rpm to over 6000 rpm (assuming it's legal for you depending on gear ratios and what not) and post the results. I'd like to compare them to the results I got with my M45 bypass open.

That seems to be the real stickler here. Some people aren't convinced that it works the way I've described it. I think this would be a nice way to show that the results are consistent with not having a blower on the car.

Can anyone do this?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                    Can anyone do this?
                    I could. I don't have ODB but I have an aftermarket ECU and WB02 which can log all the necessary data
                    TrackDub - 89' AW11 4AGE 20V (83.5RWKW) | SkidDub - 88' AW11 1MZFE V6 | SlushDub - 89' AW11 4AGZE Auto T-Top
                    www.midrear.net - My AW11 build/blog/rant/motorsport website

Comment

• Originally posted by knightrous View Post
                      I could. I don't have ODB but I have an aftermarket ECU and WB02 which can log all the necessary data
                      Excellent! Please do, so people can see how the two compare. I'm expecting something similar to my numbers, with it essentially hovering near zero throughout the run.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by knightrous View Post
                        Hi Knightrous... have you had a chance yet to get this data?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Electric Supercharger Q&A

This is my 1st post on MCM.

I have a preliminary website up regarding the electric supercharger systems that I'm working on. The site is just for information, and I'm interested in any input or comments posted. Not sure how to reference the previous thread on 'Installed electric supercharger' started by Wild Weasel, but I kinda threw a wrench in his well established website.

Anyway, check it out. www.phantomsuperchargers.com

Thks, Rob.

Comment

• heh. This isn't like the other threads. This is Rob... the guy that made the stuff I put on my car. So this isn't a "Hey... does this work?" or a "Hey... I installed this". This is a "Hey... I built this... anything you guys want to know?"

Rob should be able to answer all the technical questions that I didn't have any of the details about in my thread. So have at him!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hi rob,

Whilst Wild Weasels tests were all well and good, do you have other examples on an NA car?
                              sigpic

Comment

• Yup,

MklV 2.0L, GMC 4.3L V6, MklV VR6 12 valve, E36 318is M42.

Cal, sorry if started a new thread on this similar topic.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X