Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Want to know stuff about turbos/engines/engine swaps/engine management? Ask Turbo Yoda(he is old and knows stuff).

Here is a pic of Marty's new bike we are building to lubricate you.

P.S. Keep it technical and don't expect dumbed down answers.

What would you recommend for forced induction on an 18hp twin cylinder briggs and stratton engine such as this?

Idiot friend suggested this and now I'm curious. Not sure I actually plan on trying it.

Comment

From F@BOY (he's currently banned)
      Hey wise one, which would be better for a turbo manifold? Shorter pipes, or equal length? The engine in this scenario is the FA20 under a scion FRS, equal length would mean even pulses but long runner length for colder pulses, or shorter pipes for uneven pulses but warmer pulses?
      How To Make And Upload Signature Pictures!

Originally posted by FortKid
      Blockomotive is currently in need of acquiring an external supplier for components beyond our technological and manufacturing capacities. If one of your fine companies could provide estimates on components such as, but not limited to, curves and or rounded surfaces please submit an offer proposal.

Sincerely,
      The Swedish Chef

PS: Bork Bork Bork
      Originally posted by In PM From Jmac to Alvin
      Yo GT5 god
      Alvin 'Wonder Boy'
      The 2nd Best Sim Racer on MCM

sigpic

Comment

What does it take to turbo a carburated chevy v8? Does it take a special carb?
        Originally posted by F@BOY
        You don't have to go all out to make american cars decent, you just need to be a decent driver.
        Originally posted by MrSheep
        Girls are a crazy bunch, mostly. I swear the factory they're made in has some pretty piss poor Quality Control.

Comment

Im aiming at turboing my mx5 in the future, goal is 150-200hp, main use will be for drifting(so would prefer torque/power in middle of rev range), what turbo would you recommend?
          Some friends have suggested td04's, gt28's and vf8's
          1998 5DR Glanza V Replica
          1990 Mazda MX5 NA6C
          sigpic

Comment

really good chance to ask questions about mx5 build (or other turboness) from the man himself... get on it!! keep it serious and tech if possible please dudes
            Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

on a 4g93t (mitsubishi 1.8l turbo engine) when running a td05 16g big as opposed to the stock td04l 13t would it be noticably beneficial to port the stock exhaust manifold from the 5cm^2 inlet the td04 uses to the 7cm^2 inlet the td05 uses?

and slightly of topic holy crap that turbo is huge for a bike. riding a boosted bike takes big kahunas
              Last edited by leadfoot; 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM.
              the build it started as show and quickly turned into GO!

Mitsubishi service and electrical manuals hosted by me for you mitsi nuts

Originally posted by MOOG
              right next to my Silvia was an old Mitsubishi colt that had somehow managed to dodge the flames and was fine! absolutely perfect. every ugly panel of it. i could almost feel the Mitsubishi badge laughing at me and I've hated them ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadeux View Post
                What would you recommend for forced induction on an 18hp twin cylinder briggs and stratton engine such as this?

Idiot friend suggested this and now I'm curious. Not sure I actually plan on trying it.
                There is no turbo small enough for this. Srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by alvin23a View Post
                  From F@BOY (he's currently banned)
                  Hey wise one, which would be better for a turbo manifold? Shorter pipes, or equal length? The engine in this scenario is the FA20 under a scion FRS, equal length would mean even pulses but long runner length for colder pulses, or shorter pipes for uneven pulses but warmer pulses?
                  Shortest path from port to turbo with reasonable smoothness is best. Tuning lengths of headers is not going to make any difference on a turbo untill you get into very high rpm/large turbo territory. I am doing a manifold for a GT86 atm, simple and clean flow path ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by icthus View Post
                    What does it take to turbo a carburated chevy v8? Does it take a special carb?
                    You can either box the carb and pressurise the box(with a boost referenced fuel feed) or use a turbo specific carb that has mods to allow blow through. There's more to it than just the carb though, that is what EFI is for.

Comment

Originally posted by siren676 View Post
                      Im aiming at turboing my mx5 in the future, goal is 150-200hp, main use will be for drifting(so would prefer torque/power in middle of rev range), what turbo would you recommend?
                      Some friends have suggested td04's, gt28's and vf8's
                      TDO4L will do 200hp no probs and provide the best midrange. They are also $100 and bulletproof. TDO4 19T is also readily available now which is a pretty sweet turbo. Has 58mm compressor and can be had from kinugawa pretty cheap in a heap of different flange layouts. VF8 is big old school lag, avoid. GT2860RS in .64 would work if you want to go further than 200hp. Excellent all round turbo.

Comment

Turbo Yoda, you spool our hearts and minds.

How Long do you think marty's exhaust manifold will hold out for before the welds start to become weak? A local welder welded a custom exhaust manifold for our tractor(had to use some special welding technique that involved dipping it in sand) and after a few days the tractor manifold is already leaking. Have you heard back from many customers with how long their manifolds have lasted?

Many thanks

may the boost be with you
                        Mx5 NA (1.6L)
                        Impreza ('95 2dr)
                        Chrysler 300C (3.5L)

Comment

Originally posted by leadfoot View Post
                          on a 4g93t (mitsubishi 1.8l turbo engine) when running a td05 16g big as opposed to the stock td04l 13t would it be noticably beneficial to port the stock exhaust manifold from the 5cm^2 inlet the td04 uses to the 7cm^2 inlet the td05 uses?

and slightly of topic holy crap that turbo is huge for a bike. riding a boosted bike takes big kahunas
                          Unlikely to make any difference, the 5cm is the nozzle size not the flange inlet size. the nozzle is right up in the scroll of the exhaust housing just prior to the gases hitting the turbine.
                          Give it a light cleanup and compare to a 4G63 manifold. If no visible difference then don't worry about it. The nozzle in the turbine housing is always the biggest restriction in the pre turbine wheel exhaust system.

Comment

G'day mate,

Im looking at upgrading the Turbo in a Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI. It has the turbocharger incorporated in exhaust manifold and water-cooled intercooler integrated into intake manifold. Will this be easy to replace? And could you suggest a replacement Turbo?

I don't know the exact standard turbo specs. Would you know those as well? All I know is it's a made for VAG by Garrett.
                            MCM Queensland Facebook Groups:
                            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Brisbane
                            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Sunshine Coast
                            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - Gold Coast
                            Mighty Car Mods Fan Page - FNQ
                            MCM Queensland Forum

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                              Turbo Yoda, you spool our hearts and minds.

How Long do you think marty's exhaust manifold will hold out for before the welds start to become weak? A local welder welded a custom exhaust manifold for our tractor(had to use some special welding technique that involved dipping it in sand) and after a few days the tractor manifold is already leaking. Have you heard back from many customers with how long their manifolds have lasted?

Many thanks

may the boost be with you
                              Sounds like he repaired a cast iron exhaust manifold and then left it to cool slowly in sand to try to prevent cracking. This is a bit different to fabricating a manifold from butt weld elbows/weldels/whatever they are called in your area.
                              Cast manifolds can vary hugely in quality of material and quality of casting. They can fatigue and crack over time and how they respond to welding as a repair method depends on the material used in the casting process. I weld wastegate outlets to turbine housings regularly with no issues but the housings are fairly new garrett stuff so is really high quality steel. Some castings are so porous and full of impurities that you can't weld them at all.

If the guy custom made a manifold for you and it wasn't a repair of a casting I would be interested in seeing a pic of it to see what went wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X