Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like you have it well planned. I would prefer to see liquid lpg for better control/less exploding intercoolers but the stepper motor control is better than nothing. Don't discount ignition control on the engine though, ignition timing makes a big difference to response on the turbo and general engine efficiency. It will be particularly useful with det resistant fuel like LPG.

GT35 is a reasonable choice for turbo given the capacity but without knowing specifics of the engine such as compression ratio and trans choice it is hard to be specific.

Sounds like a cool project, look forward to seeing it in members rides or build threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbo Yoda View Post
      Sounds like you have it well planned. I would prefer to see liquid lpg for better control/less exploding intercoolers but the stepper motor control is better than nothing. Don't discount ignition control on the engine though, ignition timing makes a big difference to response on the turbo and general engine efficiency. It will be particularly useful with det resistant fuel like LPG.

GT35 is a reasonable choice for turbo given the capacity but without knowing specifics of the engine such as compression ratio and trans choice it is hard to be specific.

Sounds like a cool project, look forward to seeing it in members rides or build threads.
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      Stock compression: 9.0:1
      Trans will be a three speed auto, stall converter ~2200rpm due to cam.
      Will be in a 1450kg '72 holden panel van.
      The mixer ring sits 90mm above the carby (TB) butterflies, with a volume of <1.0 litre under the mixer, so unless something drastic happens the intercooler sits nearly a metre away from the lpg input and will hopefully remain atached. And if it backfires I will try and design the plenum to let go first.
      How strong will the plenum need to be? - say 10psi x (average 4bbl aircleaner internal surface area) = a lot of sq inches! I had better put some ribs into the design.

And where is a good place to get steam pipe bends and sections in Melbourne? And, is good penetration gas or gasless mig going to make exhaust headers that will last?
      Too many questions, sorry! Thanks again.

Comment

• Hi ive got a 800cc three cylinder daewoo matiz i was thinking of boring it to a 900cc and turbo converting it and was wondering if you know of a turbo system off another car that would do the job right without killing the engine ive been looking into it but theres not alot of info out there for this little tiny engine lol. Thanks turbo yoda
        Last edited by Alman1986; 14-06-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• would forced induction work at all for nitro rc motors?

sure as you said, small motors cant make enough air flow to get a turbo spooling, but im not specifically talking about every day turbo, im just talking about the principal of forced air induction on a nitro motor. would it have any benefits at all?
          i suspect it would just lean out (even with adjusting of air/fuel) and it that it may be the same as turbocharging a turbo 2 stroke - the air just passes straight through, no benefit.
          this is .18cc
          so, its about .00018 liter motor? XD they rev incredibly hard however
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Jenga
          I'll be quite confident that it'll flog the p*ss out of a lot of cars. This thought gives me happy feelings in my pants.

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong N/A engine ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don't need no tarbo ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          ╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Comment

• Turbo Yoda, four stroke 200cc Briggs and Stratton on my Victa.

What course of chuchu do I take, any small enough turbos around??

Sent using my Galaxy S4 4G, yeah, Classy Redneck!!
            -Christopher Scott

"Rumbuck"

National President
            NT State President
            Darwin and Surrounding Areas Chapter President

Bullets in the Gun Ute Club

Comment

• Originally posted by Deigima View Post
              would forced induction work at all for nitro rc motors?
              [
              It would work fine on the 4-stroke models, on the 2-stroke ones it would only blow unburnt fuel/air mix into the exhaust, and increase fuel consumption a lot while hardly/not increasing power..

Originally posted by Rumbuck View Post
              four stroke 200cc Briggs and Stratton [...] any small enough turbos around??
              Garrett GT06 comes to mind, for 100-500 cc engines, very nice for go-karts, mopeds and other small displacement stuff..
              Modifying is a lifestyle!
              Originally posted by milkchicken
              Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexanderB View Post
                Garrett GT06 comes to mind, for 100-500 cc engines, very nice for go-karts, mopeds and other small displacement stuff..
                Sweet! Not that thrre is a point, but hey, bragging rights.

Sent using my Galaxy S4 4G, yeah, Classy Redneck!!
                -Christopher Scott

"Rumbuck"

National President
                NT State President
                Darwin and Surrounding Areas Chapter President

Bullets in the Gun Ute Club

Comment

sure as you said, small motors cant make enough air flow to get a turbo spooling, but im not specifically talking about every day turbo, im just talking about the principal of forced air induction on a nitro motor. would it have any benefits at all?
                  i suspect it would just lean out (even with adjusting of air/fuel) and it that it may be the same as turbocharging a turbo 2 stroke - the air just passes straight through, no benefit.
                  this is .18cc
                  i have that exact engine on my monster truck the port design in them does not lend itself to boost of anykind 4 stroke nitros are starting to trickle into the car market and once they do you bet people will ad boost quite quickly. and beleive it or not there is already turbo's small enough for these things. the first things that come to mind are rc tractor pullers and rc drag cars that have been custom built to run 4 stroke rc plane motors already running boost
                  the build it started as show and quickly turned into GO!

Mitsubishi service and electrical manuals hosted by me for you mitsi nuts

Originally posted by MOOG
                  right next to my Silvia was an old Mitsubishi colt that had somehow managed to dodge the flames and was fine! absolutely perfect. every ugly panel of it. i could almost feel the Mitsubishi badge laughing at me and I've hated them ever since.

Comment

this is .18cc
                    RBInnovations have been making supercharged nitro rc motors for quite a while.

http://www.rbinnovations.com/category_s/3.htm
                    TrackDub - 89' AW11 4AGE 20V (83.5RWKW) | SkidDub - 88' AW11 1MZFE V6 | SlushDub - 89' AW11 4AGZE Auto T-Top
                    www.midrear.net - My AW11 build/blog/rant/motorsport website

Comment

• Too bad supercharging a 2stroke like that only blows out fresh mixture through the exhaust while hardly adding any power..
                      Oh man I hate it when the bolts on my car decide to strip, its so awkward.. I'm like dude I've got a partner I can't be seen doing this...

Comment

• sooooo I got a 2008 mazda 6 2.3 l, Im sitting at 125hp and 125 torq, all I got is an intake and thats what I dynoed at ... I want more power and I have been thinking about forced induction, this is a car that has never given me any problem no matter how hard I drive it so I dont want to get rid of it, Im a college student so I dont have 2000 cash to put on my car on one sitting so

I thought of a turbo, but this include many parts, my car can handle a turbo at 5-7 psi without having to do support mods on internals, so why spend 5k on a turbo if I can only go up to 7 psi, next idea was supercharger !

on the supercharger gains what are they? Also what parts do I need? as basic the supercharger, belt and ?...

Comment

• 7psi with hardly any timing took the mx5 from about 80kw to 110kw.. nothing to sneeze at!

aaaa choo choo choo
                          Love MCM? Want to help support the show? Check out the MCM Shop and get some maaaad DVD's, stickers, shirts or Magazine...

Comment

• BMW phantom.jpg

Here is what ~ 4psi does to a 140 flywheel Hp BMW. The car uses my phantom supercharger set-up. ~ $1200 all in.

Comment

• ok i have a question that has been bugging me and i cant seem to find a definition that i can make sense of, what is over-spooling
                              Originally posted by Turbo Yoda
                              TT's suck balls, go single and celebrate life.
                              Quoted for the Truth

Comment

• I'd assume another term for going past the turbo's RPM limit, pretty much any condition that falls outside the compressor map causes this (too much boost (=wastegate stays shut), too little flow at high boost levels (compressor surge) or too much flow. (compressor stall)

Comment

Working...
                                X