Go Fast Bits Castrol Oil Supercheap Auto Haltech ECU Bridgestone Tyres DW Fuel Systems

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Yoda
    started a topic The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Want to know stuff about turbos/engines/engine swaps/engine management? Ask Turbo Yoda(he is old and knows stuff).

Here is a pic of Marty's new bike we are building to lubricate you.

P.S. Keep it technical and don't expect dumbed down answers.

• Robert
    replied
    Hello again. I feel like this is an answer I can only ask a fabricator like you. Have you used inconel for turbo headers? I am trying to get some as there is no good cast option for the exhaust for my esprit the other option is a wimpy stainless one that can not be wrapped. I have severe engine bay heat concerns as many esprits BURN UP being thet they are made of glass the culprit is usually the exhaust system and a hot day. I am going with the GTX3071R as I looked into it on the account that you mentioned it.
    I think Inconel is a good compromise on toughness in the scientific sense, ductility and weight also the #2 reason for wanting to make my own out of Inconel is the flow. I can do nice clean runs to the flange versus the regurgitation that is oem and the " Upgrae" for 1000 bucks...
    So please any info on inconel if you have used it. I mean real world. I read lots of data my real concerns come with the working and welding bit of it.

Leave a comment:

• Skullinhand
    replied
    the tip of my lug nut snapped off first tried bolt extractor it don't fit aftermarket ebay key won't grab the remaining tread of the lug or should I drill the hub stud and replace it,? how would you do it alan , I don't want to wreak my wheels. and flames will wreck my drum brakes

Leave a comment:

• Xelto
    replied
    Hey Yoda!

So I have a EJ25 STI motor that I want to drop into my 2002 Subaru Forester L. What ECU do I need to get and what other things are essential for converting it into an STI drivetrain?

Thanks for being awesome!
    -Dave
    My Forrester. Current EJ25 engine.

Leave a comment:

• emre2blue
    replied
    Hi, I know you are familiar with gasoline engines. But I have a 44PSI boosted 1.9LT Diesel engine car. My goal is to have 300HP and it was done before. But not the way I build it. I'm trying to challenge myself, and I put Water2Air Intercooler Setup to it. Now with a bad tuning this car gave 261HP with 550Nm Torque. with 106Celc Degree IAT. Now you are thinking
    if IAT was 60Celc degree max. It would gain more HP. But Now I have serious IAT problem... Post Turbo temperatures climbs up to 265Celc. Degree.... Water is getting Hot. And I think Front radiator cannot cool it.

Now I use Turbo from 350CDI Merc, GTB2060VKLR, with original Electrical Actuator. Normally, my friends suggested that I use Air2Air intercooler for this setup. But I wanted to challenge myself. And tried Water 2 Air intercooler. One of my friend is tuning only Mercs in Turkey. He suggested that I use a bosch pump, 0392 022 010 .

Here is the HE, it is from Dacia 1.6lt engine radiator. 550mm x 480mm x 16mm, Because it was cheap and it fitted without modification.

And ChargeCooler is about 141mm x 141mm x 200mm

Pump can deliver 0.5lt/second with max 0.3Bars. What am I missing here... Can you guide me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh91...annel=emresuat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjpG...annel=emresuat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Je...annel=emresuat

I will also put the total progress of the car to the "members ride"

Leave a comment:

• acking_qc
    replied
    ask turboyoda? okay... I want a mad VERY VERY VERY out of place build... can a EJ20/EJ25 turbo fit in a 2008 Yaris hatch LE ? and can it have 4wd ?

YES! I am totally serious, this is not a kind of joke of a broke dude tryne get attention this is serious

Leave a comment:

• Murph7318
    replied
    Hey Turboyota,
    I own a MT 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. Everything is stock except for a Magnaflow catalytic converter. I couldn't afford a WRX at the time and I really want to up my car's power. What is your suggestion for power upgrades?

I could just pay for a wrx engine swap, then I'd have to change the clutch and probably the chassis. What else can I do to add some more power?
    I have heard that a cold air intake wouldn't do any good for my NA engine.
    I have also heard that a performance exhaust would most likely lead to power loss.

In the end, I might just sell the car and save for a WRX/STI, but want to see if I can make this RS work!

Thanks for your expertise!

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    This guy in the vid is running a huge turbo. The first thing I would do is check out what the rods can do and what the pistons can do. Factory pistons for N/A are generally not a good mix. I had planned on talking to a machine shop buddy for you but it aint happening I am afraid. Just being me and wanting to go boost. Look into a computer to do EFI and build the internals to spec. If your at 9.5 and start adding boost you better be running higher octant. Just look at this article by Garrett that should start you:
    https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...tio_with_boost
    Sorry I couldnt dig up more.

Again I do not speak for Turbo Yoda or MCM in any way. Just a boozy mechanic hobbyist that wants to go fast.

Also Mr. Turboyoda. I have decided that if its a viable option to go with inconel and rent some tig time or get my tig sent to Japan. I am just going to copy the best flowing design I have seen for this car and then wrap it.
    Last edited by Robert; 28-10-2017, 02:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ethan_Woody
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Dude I am a little boozy but I totally think I can help. Plymouth Vallianit right? First of all bro what year are you talking about. second 9.5:1 Feck no! You will end up with a hot pistol ready to blow. so lets say for the sake of argument that you have sast aluminum pistones. They would be beaten hard at 20 psi. If you wanted a minor boost at say like 5psi you could just add the turbo and upgrade the carb and do a blowthrough. If you wanted to whamp the piss right out of it and shit unicorn rainbows. you should upgrade to a forged piston and a better head gasket ect. Internals make the external parts work. I am just saying if you wanna blow an old engine like that hard you gotta upgrade the internals. 4 bold main machining good rods bearings and pistones. The more percise she is the more h.p. you can get.
    You should post your desired h.p. what ignition and fueling you want to do. If you want to step in a cam some pissers and a carb... Me thinks you could do a sweet blow through setup.

Not speaking for yoda or this forum....My advice is bullshit at best. Buttt.... I think your question is a bit vague and needs some goals stated.
    thanks for some help buts its and Australian (Chrysler) valiant charger hemi 6, 265 I have seen turbo versions none were blow through carb style and all had then engines highly modified we want a more street able version than we also can take to the track without being kicked out for going faster than 10s as an example I've link a different charger with a turbo set up. also again thanks for some advice.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Dude I am a little boozy but I totally think I can help. Plymouth Vallianit right? First of all bro what year are you talking about. second 9.5:1 Feck no! You will end up with a hot pistol ready to blow. so lets say for the sake of argument that you have sast aluminum pistones. They would be beaten hard at 20 psi. If you wanted a minor boost at say like 5psi you could just add the turbo and upgrade the carb and do a blowthrough. If you wanted to whamp the piss right out of it and shit unicorn rainbows. you should upgrade to a forged piston and a better head gasket ect. Internals make the external parts work. I am just saying if you wanna blow an old engine like that hard you gotta upgrade the internals. 4 bold main machining good rods bearings and pistones. The more percise she is the more h.p. you can get.
    You should post your desired h.p. what ignition and fueling you want to do. If you want to step in a cam some pissers and a carb... Me thinks you could do a sweet blow through setup.

Not speaking for yoda or this forum....My advice is bullshit at best. Buttt.... I think your question is a bit vague and needs some goals stated.

Leave a comment:

• Ethan_Woody
    replied
    Hey Turbo Yoda
    Me and my Dad want to do a major project and convert our valiant form NA to turbo or supercharged and we have a problem we don't know anything about compression ratio. We don't know if we should keep it the same 9.5:1 or spend more money on high compression pistons and do a cheap engine rebuild. Please help

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hey mate! Thanks for the fast reply on that one! I would use cast if there was something decent just because you said so. I also know they can live long but actually the stock unit flows like an elderly persons bowels so I either have to port cast....Erm..NO! or build something. I will try to find a decent alloy to weld. It looked like you used some pretty standard grade steel on youtube but I also noticed that you seemed to be more going for just make it work and flow good versus all you could squeeze out of it from what I saw I probably didnt see much. I only saw your wagon and something you did for MCM I think it was the subaru turbo into a.... Miata... I have a bad memory.
    My point is that I want to get the max out of it as I am keeping it for a long time so I was looking for an alloy that isnt a killer to weld and has great corrosion and heat resistance. But thats not so much of a question if you don't care to answer its fine.
    I do have a much bigger question. I get the 3 inch dump as I am not doing 1/4 mile passes every day but I was wondering about the why part of this turbo. I looked at the map and for a dummy like me it looks great but I would not mind at all some watered down why its good.
    By the way I hope the way I typed this off does not come off disrespectful or prick like I actually am writing you because of how well those particular cars ran and the fact that you are the go to guy for MCM. Thank you for even looking at the post man!
    Sorry about the link. Some problem with either me or the browser or the PC... I cant post without either a link or photo...

Leave a comment:

• Turbo Yoda
    replied
    Titanium is a poor choice for a manifold, it fatigues under that sort of temperature. a cast manifold is the best choice.
    The turbo is ancient junk, bin it and use a GTX3071.
    A 3" dump is more than enough.
    Upgrade the ecu and wiring and use modern injectors and you should have a well behaved fast and reasonably economical car.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Oh ye wise man mmmhhh.... I have a doozy of a question I have been dieing to ask you. I have this lotus Esprit SE currently set up in its near stock configuration with :
    a Garrett T3 with a 50 trim compressor wheel. It has a maximum flow rating of 30 lbs/min at a pressure ratio of 2.2 (1.2 bar boost) with 58% efficiency. 270* bearings.
    2174cc traditional 4 cylinder engine 76.2mm stroke and 95.28mm bore.
    The exhaust manifold is cast and prone to breakage.
    Cooling is provided by a charge cooler with a 60mm inlet and outlet.
    It is also fitted with a GM batchfire fuel system and unknown to me injectors.
    The engine has just over 500km on it since rebuild. I picked it up with 20km on the rebuild.
    3 things I want to change that I have listed:
    I am currently saving up for a Haltech Elite 750 to control fuel and ignition.

There is a stainless header available for 1350 Pounds sterling... I want to build an equal length titanium unit or if titanium is a bad choice of metal High quality stainless. there are two reasons for wanting Titanium. 1 I want to wrap the header to keep lotuses #1 killer away. Fire. 2. Titanium shouldn't corrode under normal road use or racing conditions. I lied 3. Its a light unit to remove and install. I think for the price I can do it. But some advice would be cool.

The turbo. I am clueless utterly clueless but I am sure there is a decently priced off the shelf unit that is much better than what I have. Many have upgraded the housing alone and gotten results. The later models with same everything else went to 60mm trim. There is a guy making 400 to the ground H.P. but hes got his super special turbo regarded as a secret. This annoys me as much as asking 1300 pounds for an exhaust manifold that has had trouble with failing welds.. Please. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and I am tired of beating the snot out of this not so good turbocharger. A size and type would be nice. I would like to adapt whatever to V bands at least on the outlet side. Oh... a 4 inch dump will be used any other day than Shaken day.
    Please man. I read a lot of articles actually so many I feel more lost than ever. Just a little advice on whats proper for my engine size.

The plan: 380 roadable KW.
    It is already horrendous at low speeds and off idle due to the injection and ignition so Something mildly inappropriate for street is not a big deal.
    The lotus

Leave a comment:

• Seryoga
    replied
    So here's my dilemma. I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS body in fairly good condition. Now comes the fun part. The engine is kinda blown. I was thinking, instead of rebuiling the old 420A that I could swap a newer motor, something with more kick to it. So far I'm open to suggestions on the motor so far as I can use the old engine mounts already in the car. The engine I was thinking of putting in there was an SR16VE N1, but I don't know if it or any other will fit with the engine mounts. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X