Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Yoda
    started a topic The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

The Official "Ask Turbo Yoda" Thread

Want to know stuff about turbos/engines/engine swaps/engine management? Ask Turbo Yoda(he is old and knows stuff).

Here is a pic of Marty's new bike we are building to lubricate you.

P.S. Keep it technical and don't expect dumbed down answers.

• Dougy246
    replied
    Hey, I am just about to swap my gen 4 liberty wagon like Marty for auto to manual, I was wondering what was involved in doing the conversion. What wiring had to be done and if I buy a manual ecu would that fix any problems thanks.
    Last edited by Dougy246; 26-08-2018, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nzmichael
    replied
    Hi
    I just bought myself a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 1.8 5speed as a fun car, I would like to know how would I turbo this motor and what ecu would you recommend as there is no plug in ecu available?
    It

Leave a comment:

• HaydenMackay
    replied
    Hi Al.
    i need some help. Im putting and ade236 (a south african built 3.86l diesel motor) into a land rover defender, the motor is a turbo motor but did not ship with a turbo. I was pointed at a t3t28 will this be a good turbo for a motor of that size. The vehicle is used to tow roughly 1.5 tonnes and im chasing about 100kw and 400ish nm of torque

Leave a comment:

• Skullinhand
    replied
    What about turbo charging a n/a car domestic car auto is it harder to do or is it a waste of time and money just buy a turbo car what do i do Alan supercharging my car is $2000 dollars Cheeper than buying turbo kit from eBay and all the other part to make it work then haveing to fix it again and again what do you think would be easier?

Leave a comment:

• Camzxxx
    replied
    Hey. Just curious on Yoda's take on the Vg30dett as a platform, and why none of these boys (mcm included) ever think to tackle one or put their own spin on it ?
    cheers
    My 92 jdm tt manual

Leave a comment:

• kin37ik
    replied
    Originally posted by Skullinhand View Post
    How about putting a h2 Kawasaki ninja super bike engine turbo it and put it in Marty's Mira ? Could it be done ?
    just about anything can be done if you have enough money and time to do it, the only problem with running a bike engine in a small car is that you would never get it roadworthy again

Leave a comment:

• Skullinhand
    replied
    How about putting a h2 Kawasaki ninja super bike engine turbo it and put it in Marty's Mira ? Could it be done ?

Leave a comment:

• Filb
    replied
    Hi turbo yoda ive jist watched your skid factory and i have a question
    You mentioned in 1 of the episodes that the ZF auot trans could take a transfer case
    I own a ford explorer 04 uz V8 awd/4wd and my question is would a.ZF be able to replace the factory auto trans that seems to be piss weak wothout to much modification or is it a bugger of a swap
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• AHolesJunkyardGarage
    replied
    91 2.3 just turboed it of course. just attached my down pipe and now it wants to bog out when under heavy acceleration any ideas???

Leave a comment:

• Booner54
    replied
    I have a 02 NA Subaru Impreza with the ej25 motor. I wanted to know how hard it would be to convert it to the new 2.0L motor. I believe its the FA20 but I'm not 100% sure

Leave a comment:

• 4sfed
    replied
    Hi,

I Am almost ready to assemble my EJ255 that I have upgraded just a bit, and have a question regarding ARP studs thay I will be installing.
    On the manufacturer's instructions it is stated that studs should be hand tightened into the block, but in your experience is that sufficient or should I apply just a bit more torque to them.

Please advise if possible.

Best regards

Alex

Leave a comment:

• 4BPTank
    replied
    Turbo yoda
    i have a 85 rb holden gemini slx with a 1.5l isuzu 4xc1engine. What turbo would i be looking at and in your experince, do you think it would be easy to get a manifold to fit without being custom made. And also what problems do you think i would run into
    Turbo yoda

Leave a comment:

• Ian_Carney
    replied
    Originally posted by Chadeux View Post
    What would you recommend for forced induction on an 18hp twin cylinder briggs and stratton engine such as this?

Idiot friend suggested this and now I'm curious. Not sure I actually plan on trying it.
    as a Briggs and Stratton master service tech who has done something similar, I'd say you can use a turbo off any small turbo car. I used one off a passat with low boost pressure to do a turbo charged racing mower.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hello again. I feel like this is an answer I can only ask a fabricator like you. Have you used inconel for turbo headers? I am trying to get some as there is no good cast option for the exhaust for my esprit the other option is a wimpy stainless one that can not be wrapped. I have severe engine bay heat concerns as many esprits BURN UP being thet they are made of glass the culprit is usually the exhaust system and a hot day. I am going with the GTX3071R as I looked into it on the account that you mentioned it.
    I think Inconel is a good compromise on toughness in the scientific sense, ductility and weight also the #2 reason for wanting to make my own out of Inconel is the flow. I can do nice clean runs to the flange versus the regurgitation that is oem and the " Upgrae" for 1000 bucks...
    So please any info on inconel if you have used it. I mean real world. I read lots of data my real concerns come with the working and welding bit of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X