Sponsor Banner Go Fast Bits Castrol Edge Super Cheap Auto Haltech Bridgestone RE003 Ryobi Tools Century Batteries

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legalities - Modifying Your Ride.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheers mate

Comment

• thanks now i know what to do when i get my car running!

Comment

• Few points for the B'n'S-ers out there:

In Victoria and by ADR's:
        It is important to know that a vehicle must be at least 100mm of the ground, measured from the lowest point on the vehicle (usually the exhaust or a body kit)
        Mudflaps do not count to this level, provided they do not damage or degrade the road surface, do not flick up debris from the road surface, and may swing freely, but to no further rearwards than a load may do so without being placarded, and not under the body in such a way that it may foul on tyres/propshafts/etc.

Using foglights when the weather is clear is an offence! Turn them off fogwits!
        Varies state to state actually, and "May be used in adverse weather conditions" can be up to the discretion of the officer. Attitude people.

It is important to know that despite having a national set of guidelines, no State or Territory will recognise the modification approval of another State/Territory. This means if you purchase a vehicle from, or move interstate, you will need to get any and all modification approvals done again in the State/Territory you intend to register the vehicle.
        However, some states will recognise some formal approvals, such as mod plates and certificates, you can submit them to the appropriate agency and may have a lot of work cleared up for you as they cross-reference the approval requirements with their own.

Finally, every car must have a working horn, so having a horn button is also a requirement.
        Musical or Variable tone air horns are illegal for road use, you are allowed to have them fitted and functional, however, if an officer has suspicion of their use on a public road or in a public place, they can fine you, have you disconnect it on the spot, or defect your vehicle. If it is the only horn you have, this can lead to another defect and fine for not having a standard horn.

Also, a standard horn can be either electric, or electric/air, however, they have a minimum volume, and cannot be "Excessively" loud.

A straight air horn run off an electric solenoid and air tank is illegal if it came off a Train or Truck (Technically a ship Foghorn is legal, though may be classed as excessively loud, and also, finding somewhere to mount it may be difficult to say the least)
        -Christopher Scott

"Rumbuck"

National President
        NT State President
        Darwin and Surrounding Areas Chapter President

Bullets in the Gun Ute Club

Comment

• What about carbon fibre panels like hoods, boot lids, etc

Comment

• Carbon fibre splinters into sharp pieces on impact - or something like that - which makes it uncompliant with ADR making it illegal.
            Originally posted by ADowbs
            He lives in Australia, it's a felony for thinking about doing a motor swap, let alone actually doing one.
            sigpic
            My S13 build_________________Brothers 180________________S-Chassis Thread #3_________________How to Turbo a Car

Comment

• I need to ask...

If im swapping engines in a car. .. but not to a different engine, same one coz my old one is dead.

What legalities do I have to do? Im in NSW by the way

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
              My 1994 Pulsar on MightyCarMods Forum

My 1994 Gunmetal Silver N14 SSS Intro and Build on PGA

sigpic

Comment

• Have the engine number swapped over on your registration form at the RTA.
                Pretty straight forward, really. You MAY need a receipt/proof of purchase, but I'm unsure.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSheep View Post
                  Have the engine number swapped over on your registration form at the RTA.
                  Pretty straight forward, really. You MAY need a receipt/proof of purchase, but I'm unsure.
                  Ok sweet. I didn't want to do it and then be facing heaps of problems lol thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
                  My 1994 Pulsar on MightyCarMods Forum

My 1994 Gunmetal Silver N14 SSS Intro and Build on PGA

sigpic

Comment

• I feel very sorry for every car nut in Australia. Here in florida there are no car inspections. If I had a VW beetle and I wanted to put a 454 cid big block chevy motor in it I could. There are rules about how tall a vehicle can be because of headlight placement but they are mostly overlooked.
                    Originally posted by F@BOY
                    You don't have to go all out to make american cars decent, you just need to be a decent driver.
                    Originally posted by MrSheep
                    Girls are a crazy bunch, mostly. I swear the factory they're made in has some pretty piss poor Quality Control.

Comment

• I have some questions around mod plating/blue slipping an engine swap (NSW) (like a 1JZ into a Cressida):
                      Would it be better to simply do the engine swap alone (no suspension/brake upgrades - completing these after the mod plate/blue slip) or semi complete it (braces/bars/coilovers/big brake upgrade etc)?

Also, what kind of cost would I be looking at (for either of the above methods)?

Lastly, how easy is the mod plate/blue slip process (I'm assuming they are the same thing)?

Comment

• have you got the legallities for western australia

Comment

• Originally posted by MArGoLin View Post
                          I have some questions around mod plating/blue slipping an engine swap (NSW) (like a 1JZ into a Cressida):
                          Would it be better to simply do the engine swap alone (no suspension/brake upgrades - completing these after the mod plate/blue slip) or semi complete it (braces/bars/coilovers/big brake upgrade etc)?

Also, what kind of cost would I be looking at (for either of the above methods)?

Lastly, how easy is the mod plate/blue slip process (I'm assuming they are the same thing)?
                          It's best to do it all at once. It would make engineering a LOT easier, as you can do it in bulk and not twice (which would result in double the cost).
                          It would always be easier to engineer the engine conversion, as you've shown you've made the car stop/handle better, which some engineers/states require.

Comment

• Anyone know if there's an issue with fitting bigger brakes to a car? situation is got a VE SS and want to put the bigger brembos form the HSV of the time on. They are bigger discs and rotors. Have already got wheels so the rotors clear. Technically they came on the Redline model but not on the SS. ACT rego. Thankls.

Comment

Working...
                            X